Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unfortunately these things happen on a message board though bud. Look I'm with you and agree. Ultimately it's about having a balanced view and I can see you're trying to figure out what on earth is the reasoning. 

If you say so, that's your opinion not everyone's. 

Doug was grinning like the cat that ate the canary after the pick. This leads me to believe that they plan to use Hurts next season in a Taysom Hill role. They might even use him more than the Saints use Hill based on reports out there. The thing is though, it can be that, the idea of having a really good cheap backup QB for Wentz, and potentially trading him for a first round pick down the line. My point is that a lot of people are saying you don't use a 2nd round pick on a backup. You don't use a 2nd round pick on the next Taysom Hill. You don't use a 2nd round pick on a QB to try and flip him for a higher pick down the road. They obviously don't think Wentz can stay healthy, etc etc.

I am trying to say, maybe just maybe it's a combination of all of these things. Despite what some have said, I am in no way trying to justify the pick, I am just trying to make sense of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He was healthy all year last year. The only reason he got knocked out is that a dirty player went head hunting. 

and that’s everyone’s argument, but there’s no denying the facts. he’s been injured multiple times throughout his career. getting a concussion like he did on the hit that he took only increases his chances of getting another one

People are looking into this much more then it needs to be

1- FO wanted an insurance plan on the most important position in football. They saw this kid had talent and by Howies comments he feels he has similar talentt o Wilson when he came out. They felt he can be a very good option to backup Wentz.

2- We are cash strapped in the next few years and the QB position(including backups) are the most expensive position to pay. Your getting a player for 4 years making a avh of 1.5 mill a year. 

Anything else is a bonus in their view. There is no master sneaky play. We need to stop coming up with more and more secretive so called reasons they took him. They saw a good player that can help in a top position and save them money. Was he drafted a bit early? perhaps but they didnt feel he would be there later so they took the shot. Is what it is. 

• Like 3

Quite simply yes I think he can. 

If he impresses during whatever TC we get then the reports get out there. If he sees the field then teams get a look at him. Perhaps teams then bank on that next year? Teams who need a QB but are perhaps picking late first early second. 

I think it's somewhat unlikely but I've got to try and understand this pick. This could be just one of the reasons. 

Obviously Brady was much older than Wentz, but the Patriots did use a 2nd and two 3rd round picks on Mallet, Jimmy G, and Brisset from 2011 to 2016. That is three premium picks on the QB position over a five year span. I'm reaching here since Brady was old, I know.

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unless he suffers another major injury Wentz will be leading this team because he's by far and away the better player. 

They both have won 0 playoff games. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Who knows. This is a very uncertain period. There are worse things than having multiple valuable QB’s on your roster.

• Like 1

If that’s howie mentality then he really is a clown. Why is he thinking about the future when Wentz is in his prime now? What good is a draft pick next year when he could have improved the football team this year ? Oh bravo howie you are truly the smartest guy in the room! you flipped a second round pick into a first OMG so impressive 😱

9 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

They both have won 0 playoff games. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Seriously? Well lets see. We dont have a ring without Wentz. What a lazy comparison. Also Wentz wasn't benched in the middle of his national title game like Hurts was.

10 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Seriously? Well lets see. We dont have a ring without Wentz. What a lazy comparison. Also Wentz wasn't benched in the middle of his national title game like Hurts was.

Not gonna argue but facts don't care about feelings. Just anointing Wentz the better player is bias. Like said can't wait to see how it plays out. Sometimes the underdogs get it done. Unlike the chosen ones...

3 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

Just anointing Wentz the better player is bias.

No it isn't. Wentz is a proven top ten QB in the NFL who got us to a SB and won us a division throwing at garbage cans. Tell me? What has Hurts done? We have our franchise QB and instead of helping him Howie drops a controversy in his lap. They also just gave him 100 million.

2 minutes ago, Quiet Boy said:

It still counts. Can't take an injury away because the intent of the hit.

So if I put on a helmet, then you put on a helmet and dove full speed into my head helmet first and I got a concussion does that make me injury prone? Serious question. Not being sarcastic at all.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

You could say the same about the coordinator and the WR coach too. And they dumped them right after saying they would be back. 

And Reid once said McNabb was his guy for 2010 and then traded him to Washington 2 days later.

It's part of the NFL language known as:  Coach-Speak.

Look its not like they signed Carson to a 12 year deal here like they did with McNabb. I think that is the most telling of everything. If they believed Carson could be their guy for a long period of time, they would have easily done a 7 - 10 yr deal with him. However, they have no idea if he can stay healthy. He hasn't proven it yet. Yes he is a great talent. But what good is talent if you are not available? He has a 4 year deal which makes him an UFA after the 2024 season. Hurts is still very raw and will need a good 3 yrs to be competitive. By that point, they will know what direction Carson is going and he is going to be 30 yrs old and given his injury history, I definitely don't blame the Eagles for getting Hurtz. 

7 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

No it isn't. Wentz is a proven top ten QB in the NFL who got us to a SB and won us a division throwing at garbage cans. Tell me? What has Hurts done? We have our franchise QB and instead of helping him Howie drops a controversy in his lap. They also just gave him 100 million.

I'm no Wentz hater, but the playoffs is were it counts, which leaves them both at 0. If Wentz goes down again I hope the kid makes the best of it.

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

So if I put on a helmet, then you put on a helmet and dove full speed into my head helmet first and I got a concussion does that make me injury prone? Serious question. Not being sarcastic at all.

Well if you cut of your finger while using a saw, be it at your negligence or not, you still lost a finger...

Just now, XoqTionR said:

Well if you cut of your finger while using a saw, be it at your negligence or not, you still lost a finger...

One is you cutting yourself. The other is the actions of another diving into your head. 

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

One is you cutting yourself. The other is the actions of another diving into your head. 

But is still counted as an injury or missing finger. You only have so many finger or injuries before you done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jblah said:

Look its not like they signed Carson to a 12 year deal here like they did with McNabb. I think that is the most telling of everything. If they believed Carson could be their guy for a long period of time, they would have easily done a 7 - 10 yr deal with him. However, they have no idea if he can stay healthy. He hasn't proven it yet. Yes he is a great talent. But what good is talent if you are not available? He has a 4 year deal which makes him an UFA after the 2024 season. Hurts is still very raw and will need a good 3 yrs to be competitive. By that point, they will know what direction Carson is going and he is going to be 30 yrs old and given his injury history, I definitely don't blame the Eagles for getting Hurtz. 

I don't think anyone does those kinds of deals anymore. Seems like "long term" deals are now 3-5 years at best nowadays. Even 5 years seems rare.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Yes. You are now more susceptible to future concussions. 

• Like 1

I feel like there is this big under current of excitement to move on from Wentz. I do not get it. Wentz is a very very very talented QB who has had some unfortunate injury luck but was healthy the entire 16 games last year. When he is on his game he is a top 5 QB in the league. But still there is this urge to push him out the door.  We get little unproven rumors out of thin air. Oh the locker room hates Wentz! People are talking about an unproven college QB project as his "replacement". Hes 27 and was just given 100 million dollars!  Grass isn't always greener on the other side folks. Enjoy what you have.

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I feel like there is this big under current of excitement to move on from Wentz. I do not get it. Wentz is a very very very talented QB who has had some unfortunate injury luck but was healthy the entire 16 games last year. When he is on his game he is a top 5 QB in the league. But still there is this urge to push him out the door. People are talking about an unproven college QB as his "replacement". Grass isnt always greener on the other side folks. Enjoy what you have.

Meh. Injured in the final year of college and all 4 NFL seasons so far. If this was a QB on any other team, you’d be clowning their fan base. Most things Ive read here aren’t from posters excited to move on from Wentz, but who understand it may be a good idea to have a cheap, young, backup QB...especially one who you’d (hopefully) be able to get some value from via trade, and maybe even (hopefully) get a few plays out of while he’s learning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hey suess said:

If this was a QB on any other team you’d be clowning their fan base

How do you know what I would or would not be doing? I just watched Wentz take a team of scrubs and back ups to a division title on sheer talent alone. I very much appreciate what I have. I am sorry you do not.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

How do you know what I would or would not be doing? I just watched Wentz take a team of scrubs and back ups to a division title on sheer talent alone. I very much appreciate what I have. I am sorry you do not.

🙄

In the worst division in football, losing to a piss poor Detroit team and a piss poor Dolphins team. so, let’s not build the guy a statue just yet. Point is, he’s been injured every season AND the final season in college so, maybe that was the cause of concern for the Eagles to pick up another QB?

• Like 2