Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, hey suess said:

In the worst division in football

Look at the roster Dallas had the second half of the year last year. Then look at ours. Your going to tell me with a straight face we had any business taking it over them? Oh and how many points did Wentz put up in that Dolphins game? Yeah we got crushed on D for not have a secondary. Would have been nice to take a CB with that wasted Hurts pick.

7 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Look at the roster Dallas had the second half of the year last year. Then look at ours. Your going to tell me with a straight face we had any business taking it over them? Oh and how many points did Wentz put up in that Dolphins game? Yeah we got crushed on D for not have a secondary. Would have been nice to take a CB with that wasted Hurts pick.

Sure. All kinds of reasons to take some draftee some place. But the people that know much more than you or I decided that something caused enough of a concern to draft a QB in that spot. The pure speculation is that they’re concerned about Wentzs prior injury history. 
Which frankly, as an Eagles fan, is pretty concerning to me as well.

• Like 1

All kinds of reasons to take some draftee some place

But the goal in the second round is to try and get a starter who contributes. Not a clip board holder who is going to stir up controversy with your 100 million dollar franchise QB. If you want a project that is what rounds 4-7 are for. Alot of people who know more than you and me are also calling the pick moronic.

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

But the goal in the second round is to try and get a starter who contributes. Not a clip board holder. If you want a project that is what rounds 4-7 are for. Alot of people who know more than you and me are also calling the pick moronic.

And yet, nobody knows anything until the pads go on the the season starts. And, the goal, is to make your team better. Sometimes it isn’t immediate satisfaction. Sometimes the plan for a pick is a few years out.

Sometimes the plan for a pick is a few years out

Wentz is 27 years old. We have our Franchise QB settled for at least the next decade. Yes yes Andrew Luck. Does everyone realize how rare that was for a successful QB to call it quits so early?

27 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Wentz is 27 years old. We have our Franchise QB settled for at least the next decade. Yes yes Andrew Luck. Does everyone realize how rare that was for a successful QB to call it quits so early?

Not if the injuries continue as they have been.

If you watch the interview between Howie Roseman and Mike Garafolo, it is implied that the reason the Eagles didn't try to wait and hope they can land Hurts in the 3rd round and used their 2nd round pick on him was their past experience with missing out on Russell Wilson in 2012.

In telling the story, he essentially describes Wilson and Foles without using their names in order to avoid tampering, but Garafolo chimes in and mentions the fact that this story was widely reported after the 2012 draft.

Going back to 2012, the Eagles had Michael Vick coming off a down year, having cooled off following his 2010 resurgent season where he won Comeback Player of the Year and put together one of the best seasons in Eagles history for a QB. The team drafted Foles in Round 3, when Andy Reid really wanted Wilson.

In Wentz's case, it's not as much the lack of production but consistent lack of durability in his 4 years with the team that would make you want to draft another QB reasonably high. It also just may be that the front office feels that highly about Jalen Hurts as they did Wilson and didn't want to miss out on their guy by waiting until Round 3.

Say what you want about Russell Wilson, but the guy is as durable as it gets for a mobile QB with his skillset since entering the league in 2012. If you can get a guy that can turn into anything close to Russell Wilson at QB, as a backup QB? That's the ultimate insurance policy. Wentz should be the main guy at QB until further notice based on how he carried the team this past year (and of course his new contract extension dictates that as well), but that doesn't guarantee that he'll stay healthy.

Let's not forget Nick Foles thrived with the RPO packages and I don't see a reason why Jalen Hurts couldn't do the same. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles and potentially could have won the Wild Card game against the Seahawks with a better QB than Josh McCown (and of course better skill position players at WR).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

I feel like there is this big under current of excitement to move on from Wentz. I do not get it. Wentz is a very very very talented QB who has had some unfortunate injury luck but was healthy the entire 16 games last year. When he is on his game he is a top 5 QB in the league. But still there is this urge to push him out the door.  We get little unproven rumors out of thin air. Oh the locker room hates Wentz! People are talking about an unproven college QB project as his "replacement". Hes 27 and was just given 100 million dollars!  Grass isn't always greener on the other side folks. Enjoy what you have.

Not for me. Not at all. I love Carson. I don’t want to move on from him. But I’m also not butthurt that they are trying to get a nice contingency plan in place behind him. I always look at drafts when they’re done in a weird way to most people. Look at the class WITHOUT the numbers next to them. Round, pick...make em disappear. That part is all a semi-educated guess at best. Look at just the names. That will help lower your blood pressure. When you do that you get:

WR-

Jalen Reagor

John Hightower

Quez Watkins

OL-

Jack Driscoll

Prince Tega Wanogho

LB-

Davion Taylor

Shaun Bradley

S-

K’von Wallace

QB-

Jalen Hurts

DE-

Casey Toohill

Might not working for everyone but makes me feel a lot better. I think we addressed all the positions that I felt were dire needs after last year. I’d like a better CB2 maybe but I think they’re not done there yet. 

33 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Definitely rare. But whether it’s by choice or not, I don’t see Carson as a guy with his style and propensity for taking shots to be a guy who goes to 37-38. I hope I’m wrong and he’s Brady, Rodgers, Ben. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Another's decade? Not at current rate. Hope they don't pull another fiasco as with McNabb if/when he starts to decline. If Wentz throws a tantrum about this, misses part of the season due to injury, or doesn't finish/win a playoff game this year his days maybe numbered.

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Not for me. Not at all. I love Carson. I don’t want to move on from him. But I’m also not butthurt that they are trying to get a nice contingency plan in place behind him. I always look at drafts when they’re done in a weird way to most people. Look at the class WITHOUT the numbers next to them. Round, pick...make em disappear. That part is all a semi-educated guess at best. Look at just the names. That will help lower your blood pressure. When you do that you get:

WR-

Jalen Reagor

John Hightower

Quez Watkins

OL-

Jack Driscoll

Prince Tega Wanogho

LB-

Davion Taylor

Shaun Bradley

S-

K’von Wallace

QB-

Jalen Hurts

DE-

Casey Toohill

Might not working for everyone but makes me feel a lot better. I think we addressed all the positions that I felt were dire needs after last year. I’d like a better CB2 maybe but I think they’re not done there yet. 

Definitely rare. But whether it’s by choice or not, I don’t see Carson as a guy with his style and propensity for taking shots to be a guy who goes to 37-38. I hope I’m wrong and he’s Brady, Rodgers, Ben. 

I'm still holding out hope for a Hurts Yannick trade lol. There's some talk that Hurts was taken to keep him away from the cowgirls. But I think if they wanted him it would have been at 51

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'm still holding out hope for a Hurts Yannick trade lol. There's some talk that Hurts was taken to keep him away from the cowgirls. But I think if they wanted him it would have been at 51

I disagree there, I don't think the Cowboys would have passed on Trevon Diggs at 51 but I certainly thought they or a team like the Steelers would have taken Hurts in Round 3.

5 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I disagree there, I don't think the Cowboys would have passed on Trevon Diggs at 51 but I certainly thought they or a team like the Steelers would have taken Hurts in Round 3.

Im sort of shocked the Steelers have not gone after Cam Newton. Or come to think of it the Patriots. Well nevermind on the Pats. Cam wouldnt last a day with no fun bellicheat.

10 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Im sort of shocked the Steelers have not gone after Cam Newton. Or come to think of it the Patriots. Well nevermind on the Pats. Cam wouldnt last a day with no fun bellicheat.

Steelers have dealt with an injured QB on the reg, can’t see them wanting Cam. I hate to say it but Cam is another example of a mobile QB who has had his body beaten and bruised. Steelers are soon headed for a rebuild. 

2 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

And Reid once said McNabb was his guy for 2010 and then traded him to Washington 2 days later.

It's part of the NFL language known as:  Coach-Speak.

So all the more reason to not assume Hurts is just here to be some piece to be flipped or just to be some kind of gadget player. 

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Pretty sure that’s the intention. Backup QB is a pretty important role in any team, even more so here. We MAY have a nice young one locked up for the next 4 years very cheaply. This off-season is not over people...still cuts and trade opportunities to come. 

The Eagles still have a lot of cap space. There’s still moves they could make. Still have a hard time believing a rookie could have come into that playoff game last season and won it. Maybe in two years, but not as a rookie.,

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles still have a lot of cap space. There’s still moves they could make. Still have a hard time believing a rookie could have come into that playoff game last season and won it. Maybe in two years, but not as a rookie.,

He would have at least added a dynamic to the offense that Josh MCCown never could. 

51 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

27 mill under the cap

However: We are right now projected to be over next year by 23 mill. A good amount of this years cap might stay to carry over. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

27 mill under the cap

However: We are right now projected to be over next year by 23 mill. A good amount of this years cap might stay to carry over. 

Probably another reason why the Eagles opted not to dive into the veteran QB market as a good backup QB won't come cheap. Rookie contracts with productive young players are going to be what makes the difference for this team in the next few years. Hopefully enough of the players selected this year pan out!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Probably another reason why the Eagles opted not to dive into the veteran QB market as a good backup QB won't come cheap. Rookie contracts with productive young players are going to be what makes the difference for this team in the next few years. Hopefully enough of the players selected this year pan out!

I was just commenting about this on another thread. Definitely makes sense for cap considerations if they end up flipping the money saved on an expensive back-up for a DE or something for instance.

• Like 1

Interesting dynamic to this, most national people not only like this pick but like it a lot. I spent a lot of time tonight checking in on the national perspective. The one thing I hear over and over again is how Wentz can't stay healthy. I think the bottom line is that Wentz is a lot more highly thought of within Philadelphia with fans and the media than he is nationally. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

27 mill under the cap

So if the Eagles sign a player on a one year deal how doesn’t that cap space reopen when that contract is up? Howie himself claims the Eagles aren’t done in free agency. He better make some moves then.

10 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Interesting dynamic to this, most national people not only like this pick but like it a lot. I spent a lot of time tonight checking in on the national perspective. The one thing I hear over and over again is how Wentz can't stay healthy. I think the bottom line is that Wentz is a lot more highly thought of within Philadelphia with fans and the media than he is nationally. 

National perspectives are always least informative. Half of them are still talking about booing Santa Clause. Carson can only chance his perception by staying healthy and winning when it matters most. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

He would have at least added a dynamic to the offense that Josh MCCown never could. 

And he could also throw the ball in to coverages a veteran wouldn’t. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

National perspectives are always least informative. Half of them are still talking about booing Santa Clause. Carson can only chance his perception by staying healthy and winning when it matters most. 

That is a generalization. When I see football guys like Deion Sanders and Brian Billick liking the pick and making sense of why they do I'm going to at least listen and not dismiss it. I still feel the same way I did about it, but the fact is there are smart people who have played or worked in this league who cover it that like the pick. It's pretty clear that Wentz is not held in the same regard nationally as he is locally and it comes down to his inability to stay healthy. When your starting QB has played in one of the team's last  six playoff games and hasn't finished one of them it's a legit concern.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

That is a generalization. When I see football guys like Deion Sanders and Brian Billick liking the pick and making sense of why they do I'm going to at least listen and not dismiss it. I still feel the same way I did about it, but the fact is there are smart people who have played or worked in this league who cover it that like the pick. It's pretty clear that Wentz is not held in the same regard nationally as he is locally and it comes down to his inability to stay healthy. When your starting QB has played in one of the team's last  six playoff games and hasn't finished one of them it's a legit concern.

If we are being honest the organization has just brought insurance, because they’re not as sold on Carson as they used to be. If we’re being a little bit more honest I get that Carson got little to no help from his wide receivers last season (which is why they brought in so many), but Carson himself left some plays on the field himself during some key parts of last season. On a side note neither Billick or Sanders have any real connection to the Eagles. Their brush is very broad when it comes to Carson. I’m more concerned with the message the Eagles have sent here. Obviously they love the pick themselves otherwise he wouldn’t be here.