Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

59 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If we are being honest the organization has just brought insurance, because they’re not as sold on Carson as they used to be. If we’re being a little bit more honest I get that Carson got little to no help from his wide receivers last season (which is why they brought in so many), but Carson himself left some plays on the field himself during some key parts of last season. On a side note neither Billick or Sanders have any real connection to the Eagles. Their brush is very broad when it comes to Carson. I’m more concerned with the message the Eagles have sent here. Obviously they love the pick themselves otherwise he wouldn’t be here. 

I think it has less to do with the organization not being sold on Wentz as their franchise QB, and more to do with them worrying about his ability to play every game. Hurts is here to step in and give the offense a strong dynamic in case Wentz gets hurt, not to possibly replace him. I think the organization is behind Wentz as the franchise QB 100%. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So all the more reason to not assume Hurts is just here to be some piece to be flipped or just to be some kind of gadget player. 

No argument from me . . . but we seem to have a number of posters, fans and sports 'talking heads' with absolutely no imagination going nutz over this pick.

It's  painfully  obvious to me that Hurts is a fishing expedition / insurance policy hedging against likely future Wentz injury.

If Wentz & his lovers don't like it . . . too bad!  Irrelevant!

Then again, there's precious little to talk about, given the alleged pandemic situation.

So be it . . . but it's already getting 'old.' 

• Like 1

I was pretty hot about the pick in the moment but im actually OK with this now.

Not happy, i'd have preferred to take another bite at the WR cherry with Mims or grabbing a CB or whatever... but i can not like the pick but still understand how and why it was made.

Unfortunately fans like me scream for BPA... just stick to your board, get the best players... well this is what BPA looks like. And i didnt **** about the organisations value of the back up QB when it helped win us a title, so it feels a little silly to complain that they still value it now enough to use a 2nd round pick.

Again, i'd have preferred they go elsewhere with the pick, but it get what they're doing here and why

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So have I read they plan to use him a lot and at times as a straight RB?

I think we'll see a role similar to Taysom Hill's in New Orleans.

• Like 1

Just now, schuy7 said:

I think we'll see a role similar to Taysom Hill's in New Orleans.

I saw it on Twitter I think hang on...

Here you go:

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Here you go:

Yeah, I saw that earlier. I don't see him getting legitimate RB carries. They don't want to expose him to that kind of damage. Even if they use him like Taysom Hill, they still value him as a QB. They don't want him to get hurt. 

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

Yeah, I saw that earlier. I don't see him getting legitimate RB carries. They don't want to expose him to that kind of damage. Even if they use him like Taysom Hill, they still value him as a QB. They don't want him to get hurt. 

Yeah I mean I'd be surprised and also you'd be taking Sanders off the field more which you also don't want to do too often as he's really good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wtfcares said:

I think it has less to do with the organization not being sold on Wentz as their franchise QB, and more to do with them worrying about his ability to play every game. Hurts is here to step in and give the offense a strong dynamic in case Wentz gets hurt, not to possibly replace him. I think the organization is behind Wentz as the franchise QB 100%. 

If you’re paying him like you expect him to be there everyday, but you gotta pick up a guy in the second round, because you can’t count on him to be there everyday then you aren’t fully committed to him. Moreover if the kid goes in there and plays like Russell Wilson then it’s only a matter of time the 100 million dollar man that can’t be counted on becomes the guy who gets moved. That is assuming the guy they drafted in the 2nd is as good as they think he is. 

3 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

No argument from me . . . but we seem to have a number of posters, fans and sports 'talking heads' with absolutely no imagination going nutz over this pick.

It's  painfully  obvious to me that Hurts is a fishing expedition / insurance policy hedging against likely future Wentz injury.

If Wentz & his lovers don't like it . . . too bad!  Irrelevant!

Then again, there's precious little to talk about, given the alleged pandemic situation.

So be it . . . but it's already getting 'old.' 

It just started bud. You can expect this talk for as long as these two players are on the same team. McNabb and Kolb all over again.

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Here you go:

I’m not buying they’re just going to make this kid a running back. If they’re doing that then he’s a completely wasted pick. They do have to use him in some way to justify the pick I guess, but this has the feel of when they used to take out McNabb and put in Vick and it would completely mess up the offense. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not buying they’re just going to make this kid a running back. If they’re doing that then he’s a completely wasted pick. They do have to use him in some way to justify the pick I guess, but this has the feel of when they used to take out McNabb and put in Vick and it would completely mess up the offense. 

So I don't think they will use him exclusively as a RB. That would make no sense as we have Sanders who looked really really good last year. But they might use him on some plays? I mean imagine how confused defenses will be if one minute he's lined up as a RB, the next he's on the field with Wentz, later he's on the field instead of Wentz. You could possibly look to get him on the field up to 10 times a game which would mean a defense has to start to prepare for that?

I am just spitballing ideas here.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I don't think they will use him exclusively as a RB. That would make no sense as we have Sanders who looked really really good last year. But they might use him on some plays? I mean imagine how confused defenses will be if one minute he's lined up as a RB, the next he's on the field with Wentz, later he's on the field instead of Wentz. You could possibly look to get him on the field up to 10 times a game which would mean a defense has to start to prepare for that?

I am just spitballing ideas here.

Maybe I’m being a pessimist (I am from Philly after all) but I don’t see this all turning out well even a little bit. I think our offense will have a better chance of being confused than the defense especially with all these young wide receivers running around. I hope I’m wrong though.

FWIW Albert Breer said the Eagles would have taken Jeremy Chinn or JK Dobbins had Hurts been off the board.

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe I’m being a pessimist (I am from Philly after all) but I don’t see this all turning out well even a little bit. I think our offense will have a better chance of being confused than the defense especially with all these young wide receivers running around. I hope I’m wrong though.

I mean I am trying to see the positives of the move. We don't know how it will all play out so I think we have to trust in Doug and his brain trust that they can make this work. If Hurts is literally just a back up then to me it is a bad pick. But if he is influencing several plays one way or another each game plus is of course the back up then that's better. I think we have to look at all of the reasons added together rather than in isolation.

I'll let you guys in to a little secret here... I am warming to the pick.

I still don't necessarily agree with it, I still think there were better players on the board that could of had a greater impact on this team AND at positions of need.

However, there are a number of reasons that I am starting to think actually all add up to a decision that is not completely illogical:

1) The potential future value if there is no college season.

2) The potential return we could get in a couple of years.

3) A potentially really good, cheap, back up QB.

4) The ability to get creative with Hurts and use him in a variety of ways.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll let you guys in to a little secret here... I am warming to the pick.

I still don't necessarily agree with it, I still think there were better players on the board that could of had a greater impact on this team AND at positions of need.

However, there are a number of reasons that I am starting to think actually all add up to a decision that is not completely illogical:

1) The potential future value if there is no college season.

2) The potential return we could get in a couple of years.

3) A potentially really good, cheap, back up QB.

4) The ability to get creative with Hurts and use him in a variety of ways.

Be still my heart. Now we just need UCSG! :lol:

Would I rather have had Jeremy Chinn, Logan Wilson, Fulton?  Yeah. But I don’t have to love the pick to understand it, which I do. In the end these guys are all crapshoots. The Eagles took their BPA, it may turn stud and it may turn dud. But I know I’m happy that my team takes shots, takes chances at trying to be ahead of the curve. Yeah they may miss the mark, but I love the willingness to try. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Have I made your day?

Let’s not get crazy. I’m still locked in my house working full time plus also having to attempt to learn and teach common core math to a 12 and 8 year old.

The only thing making my day is a judgment free old fashioned at 9am and the draft being extended to 10 rounds while Tiffani Amber Thiessen lets me give her the ol’ KaPOWski while I watch Rounds 8-10 over the back of her head. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Interesting choice...

Been my choice since pre-pubescence. :lol: 

In all seriousness, it’s pick 53. If we get a solid backup for 4 years who contributes to the offense and can get flipped for a second or third down the road and/or Carson’s eventual successor it’s a hell of a lot better than the Nate Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett, and Eric Rowe’s of the world.  

And those who keep clamoring for Mims at 53, he was the 13th WR taken. He may turn out better than that but I think it says a lot about where the pro scouts viewed him. 

• Like 3

Just now, Outlaw said:

Been my choice since pre-pubescence. :lol: 

In Saved By The Bell no doubt. She looks a little umm chunkier now is that right?

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In Saved By The Bell no doubt. She looks a little umm chunkier now is that right?

Well she’s 45 years old and has had 3 kids. I’ve gotten older and chunkier along with her. You’ve gotta Debbie Downer my draft weekend AND my fantasy choices too?  Did I run your dog over or bang your mom, bro? wtf?! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1