Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

Just now, Infam said:

1) That Hurts is the replacement for Wentz (he is not).

He is basing that on historically you do not draft a pure back up in the 2nd round. When you take a QB in round 1 or 2 you are taking someone that is in your long term plans to start.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

So everyone on the team, everywhere on the roster has to compete for a job for the good of the team. But if you have a backup at QB - clearly named the backup - that is just too much for the fragile mental makeup of a guy you pay over 100 Million Dollar to? 

Come on! 

The QB is a different situation. He handles every offensive snap and cannot be questioning if he will get pulled if he makes a bad play. Same as baseball, starting pitchers. They have a special mentality that managers treat differently than other positions due to the high level of their involvement. 

If Wentz is your guy, let him know he's your guy. You don't see great teams stirring up QB controversies unnecessarily. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kentwo said:

The QB is a different situation. He handles every offensive snap and cannot be questioning if he will get pulled if he makes a bad play

This 100 percent! Thank you for explaining it better.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

QB is different than any other position on the team and you know it. That's why they have the saying if you have 2 QB's you have none. 

Times are changing. The backup QB already is one of the most important positions on the roster. Certainly more important than say.. a LB.

As much as I enjoy Wentz as our starting QB, he has not earned the right to be the sole talented guy at his position anyways. 

But let's think about the possibilities:

a) Wentz plays great, Hurts sits - no problem

b) Wentz plays bad, Hurts sits - some media BS, but no real problem

c) Wentz gets hurt, Hurts plays bad - no problem

d) Wentz gets hurt, Hurts plays great - QB controversy, but still better than Wentz gets hurt and we are done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Perforator said:

In your opinion

The Eagles stated that very clear, and most commentators believe them. I do too.

Just now, Infam said:

As much as I enjoy Wentz as our starting QB, he has not earned the right to be the sole talented guy at his position anyways. 

Uh why not? I think he has shown how talented he is. I thought what he did last year was brilliant QB play. And he stayed healthy all year.

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

Times are changing. The backup QB already is one of the most important positions on the roster. Certainly more important than say.. a LB.

A starting LB is on the field half the game. I think that is more important than who holds the clipboard. Everyone is obsessed with the Foles scenario. It was a glorious fluke. 99 percent of the time if a team loses a starter for significant time season over 

7 minutes ago, kentwo said:

The QB is a different situation. He handles every offensive snap and cannot be questioning if he will get pulled if he makes a bad play. Same as baseball, starting pitchers. They have a special mentality that managers treat differently than other positions due to the high level of their involvement. 

If Wentz is your guy, let him know he's your guy. You don't see great teams stirring up QB controversies unnecessarily. 

You did let him know he is your guy. But if he can't play, now you have someone else to save the day.

I really believe there will come a day where Wentz is out for a short period of time, then Hurts will save the season for Wentz until he returns. This does not have to go bad.

20 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If you watch the interview between Howie Roseman and Mike Garafolo, it is implied that the reason the Eagles didn't try to wait and hope they can land Hurts in the 3rd round and used their 2nd round pick on him was their past experience with missing out on Russell Wilson in 2012.

In telling the story, he essentially describes Wilson and Foles without using their names in order to avoid tampering, but Garafolo chimes in and mentions the fact that this story was widely reported after the 2012 draft.

Going back to 2012, the Eagles had Michael Vick coming off a down year, having cooled off following his 2010 resurgent season where he won Comeback Player of the Year and put together one of the best seasons in Eagles history for a QB. The team drafted Foles in Round 3, when Andy Reid really wanted Wilson.

In Wentz's case, it's not as much the lack of production but consistent lack of durability in his 4 years with the team that would make you want to draft another QB reasonably high. It also just may be that the front office feels that highly about Jalen Hurts as they did Wilson and didn't want to miss out on their guy by waiting until Round 3.

Say what you want about Russell Wilson, but the guy is as durable as it gets for a mobile QB with his skillset since entering the league in 2012. If you can get a guy that can turn into anything close to Russell Wilson at QB, as a backup QB? That's the ultimate insurance policy. Wentz should be the main guy at QB until further notice based on how he carried the team this past year (and of course his new contract extension dictates that as well), but that doesn't guarantee that he'll stay healthy.

Let's not forget Nick Foles thrived with the RPO packages and I don't see a reason why Jalen Hurts couldn't do the same. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles and potentially could have won the Wild Card game against the Seahawks with a better QB than Josh McCown (and of course better skill position players at WR).

Excellent points.  Hurts I'm surprised was still available at pick 53. 

I still think this is a gamble by Howie, with his betting there will either be no college football season at all in 2020-'21 or if there is one, one that is severely delayed to February 2021 because it may not be until then when California will allow its teams to play home games to be played in-state.  Even if the NFL does manage to start and finish on time or even in late February (which I don't see happening because of the same order preventing California teams from possibly playing at home until early 2021 which could result in the NFL not starting until January with an early June Super Bowl and subsequent seasons delayed with 11-month league years until the season can begin normally in 2024), if there is no college football season or a severely delayed one, either way the 2021 draft could be a complete crapshoot which could make Hurts very valuable to a team who might prefer if he shows enough this year giving the Eagles a first-rounder and possibly more for Hurts.

This to me seems like a calculated gamble by Howie. 

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

You’re not factoring in that he wasn’t straight up for a second rounder (which was higher than ours by the way). Would you have done our second (And maybe another pick since their pick was higher) and Miles Sanders for him?

No, but I would have done a 3rd and Sanders.         I love Sanders, but a good back is a hell of a lot easier to find than an elite WR1, and not nearly as impactful in today's game.         A guy like Hopkins elevates the entire offense - remember the effect that T.O. had on McNabb and Reid's dreary offense the one year he was here?

1 minute ago, Infam said:

You did let him know he is your guy.

Not by using your 2nd round pick on a QB you didn't. Actions speak louder than words.

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Uh why not? I think he has shown how talented he is. I thought what he did last year was brilliant QB play. And he stayed healthy all year.

Eagles have seen plenty from Wentz as far as talent, and so have the fans. That’s not the issue. The issue is his injuries, and although he lasted all year you can’t blame Howie and Doug for being worried. 

Wentz has a style of play that puts him at more risk of an injury, and if he doesn’t change that then the injuries won’t stop. When a WR or LB sprains their ankle it doesn’t kill this team but when it happens to Wentz on this team it kills us. That’s why Hurts was drafted, we need a talented backup, yes NEED. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Not by using your 2nd round pick on a QB you didn't. Actions speak louder than words.

That is absurd. Really, I'm not buying it. Oh noes, a second - must be a replacement. Now Wentz will shake in his boots and only play bad.

Honestly? If Wentz is so weak, that he can't deal with the team drafting a backup so we are protected if Wentz keeps getting hurt - he is not a franchise QB.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Wentz stays healthy he is the guy, I don't know why you are so worried about it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

That is absurd. Really, I'm not buying it. Oh noes, a second - must be a replacement

Historically yes that is exactly what they are.

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Excellent points.  Hurts I'm surprised was still available at pick 53. 

I still think this is a gamble by Howie, with his betting there will either be no college football season at all in 2020-'21 or if there is one, one that is severely delayed to February 2021 because it may not be until then when California will allow its teams to play home games to be played in-state.  Even if the NFL does manage to start and finish on time or even in late February (which I don't see happening because of the same order preventing California teams from possibly playing at home until early 2021 which could result in the NFL not starting until January with an early June Super Bowl and subsequent seasons delayed with 11-month league years until the season can begin normally in 2024), if there is no college football season or a severely delayed one, either way the 2021 draft could be a complete crapshoot which could make Hurts very valuable to a team who might prefer if he shows enough this year giving the Eagles a first-rounder and possibly more for Hurts.

This to me seems like a calculated gamble by Howie. 

Here's my only question to those who see the benefit of picking Hurts that he might be a trade chip - how high of a pick do you think you're going to get for Hurts?            He was a 2nd rounder, not a 4th or 5th, and the likelihood of getting better than a 2nd next year for a kid who is a project with regard to being an NFL starter is remote.

I really think you guys are missing this thing completely.       Hurts isn't a trade chip, and he isn't here to replace Wentz (barring a bad injury).         He was drafted to be an offensive weapon, a big part of this offense.          This is classic "smartest guy in the room" stuff, as Roseman and Pederson are anticipating a move to multi-QB offenses in the league and are getting ahead of it.         I think they want to take what the Saints and Ravens have done and take it to the next level.        Can they do it?          That's the question that should decide the fate of both, but I wouldn't bet on it.

1 minute ago, allphilly said:

Wentz stays healthy he is the guy, I don't know why you are so worried about it.

If he stays healthy then you just wasted a 2nd round pick that will play 3-5 snaps a game. So between jalen and jjaw that’s back to back 2nd round picks that will only play a handful of snaps a game. You want to help the team? Draft guys in the 2nd round that can contribute. You want to help Wentz? Draft a guy in the 2nd round that can get open so that he doesn’t have to hold the ball and get hurt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Munchy said:

If he stays healthy then you just wasted a 2nd round pick that will play 3-5 snaps a game. So between jalen and jjaw that’s back to back 2nd round picks that will only play a handful of snaps a game. You want to help the team? Draft guys in the 2nd round that can contribute. You want to help Wentz? Draft a guy in the 2nd round that can get open so that he doesn’t have to hold the ball and get hurt.

Yea I understand that point. When the selection was made that was exactly where I was. I moved on.

My point was Carson doesn't have anyone breathing down his neck.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Munchy said:

3 out of 4 years Wentz has gotten hurt so relying on him to stay healthy all year long is more of a hope then an expectation at this point. Especially with an extra game added. And non of Wentzs injuries had to do with receivers not getting open, they are choices made by Wentz. 

I'm not sure how he'd not feel someone breathing down his neck. 

All the players went through the draft and know how valuable a 2nd round pick is. A lot of them know the players in this draft and know who could've helped the team win. So even if it is unspoken, there will be an awareness that the team used a high pick on Wentz back up rather than a potential starter. And true or not, there is no way that Wentz doesn't have the sense of someone breathing down his neck. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

There’s no way to see the Hurts pick as a good move.

Sez you,  Mr. Negadelphia.

There’s nothing extra he can bring to the table worth the drama it’s going to cause.

Did your 'Crystal Ball' come from Amazon or Walmart ??

Howie is getting heat from a lot of people now.

I'm sure he's home, cowering in his bedroom in fear.

Wentz is not happy right now.

Too bad!  Deal with it, score a lot of points, stay healthy and everyone is  HAPPY!  HAPPY!  JOY!  JOY!

Hurts is getting negative vibes for doing nothing but being a good college football player and the Eagles even if they don’t realize it have created a quarterback controversy and this could all blow up in their face.

Dude, you and everyone like you need to pop a few Quaaludes and relax.

There is no QB controversy . . . yet.

It's all in your minds, nowhere else. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

No, but I would have done a 3rd and Sanders.         I love Sanders, but a good back is a hell of a lot easier to find than an elite WR1, and not nearly as impactful in today's game.         A guy like Hopkins elevates the entire offense - remember the effect that T.O. had on McNabb and Reid's dreary offense the one year he was here?

I agree WR1>RB1, but they got a better pick higher in the 2nd round than ours was, and a more established RB from the Cards.  PSU connection aside, and crazy as it is...Johnson may have been the guy that O'Brien wanted.  So high 2nd and Johnson>>>Low 3rd and Miles.  The Cardinals have quickly (and kind of under the radar) become a paper contender in the NFC West.

12 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

3 out of 4 years Wentz has gotten hurt so relying on him to stay healthy all year long is more of a hope then an expectation at this point. Especially with an extra game added. And non of Wentzs injuries had to do with receivers not getting open, they are choices made by Wentz. 

Then don’t sign him to a $100 mill contract where if he was going to get hurt again you would have to waste a 2nd round pick on a QB.

i never said it did. I’m just saying adding a guy with that 2nd round pick that can get open or open things up for other players so that wentz doesn’t have to hold the ball will help keep him healthy.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

There’s no way to see the Hurts pick as a good move. There’s nothing extra he can bring to the table worth the drama it’s going to cause. Howie is getting heat from a lot of people now. Wentz is not happy right now. Hurts is getting negative vibes for doing nothing but being a good college football player and the Eagles even if they don’t realize it have created a quarterback controversy and this could all blow up in their face. 

Well hang on, how do we know Wentz isn't happy right now?

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I agree WR1>RB1, but they got a better pick higher in the 2nd round than ours was, and a more established RB from the Cards.  PSU connection aside, and crazy as it is...Johnson may have been the guy that O'Brien wanted.  So high 2nd and Johnson>>>Low 3rd and Miles.  The Cardinals have quickly (and kind of under the radar) become a paper contender in the NFC West.

I agree with this. Probably the same reason why Chip Kelly was so quick to trade LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso, instead of holding out for a high draft selection.

Chip had to get "his guy" :facepalm:

O'Brien is Chip Kelly 2.0

• Like 1