Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, Munchy said:

Then don’t sign him to a $100 mill contract where if he was going to get hurt again you would have to waste a 2nd round pick on a QB.

Why not? For a top notch starter and a top notch backup? Sounds good to me.

1 minute ago, Munchy said:

i never said it did. I’m just saying adding a guy with that 2nd round pick that can get open or open things up for other players so that wentz doesn’t have to hold the ball will help keep him healthy.

Sure. And then there will be nothing that can go wrong. Green Fields and blue Skies. Dancing and singing!

10 minutes ago, Infam said:

Why not? For a top notch starter and a top notch backup? Sounds good to me.

Sure. And then there will be nothing that can go wrong. Green Fields and blue Skies. Dancing and singing!

Ok I don’t know how to respond to your last stupid statement. And I’ve read your responses in the last few pages and we get it your don’t like wentz and youre a borderline troll. So all that I’m going to say to you is that the people that don’t like this pick just didn’t want to waste a 2nd round pick on a qb. We wanted to surround wentz with weapons or add to the defense. No matter the injuries or whatever.

56 minutes ago, kentwo said:

If Wentz is your guy, let him know he's your guy.  

DUDE !!     WTF  are you talking about ??

The Eags have guaranteed Wentz over $66 mil. !!!!! 

Total contract value = $128 mil. !!

No one else on the team is even remotely close to those numbers.

If that's not letting Wentz know he's 'their guy' I don't know what is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Munchy said:

Ok I don’t know how to respond to your last stupid statement. And I’ve read your responses in the last few pages and we get it your don’t like wentz and youre a borderline troll.

Just was having a bit of fun about the careless attitude towards our team. A GM has to plan for every possibility not only the best. And I am a big fan of Wentz and have always defended him. But he had to sit out the last three years, which is something I cannot ignore. And even more: A guy like Hurts could've kept us in it until Wentz returns last year.

3 minutes ago, Munchy said:

So all that I’m going to say to you is that the people that don’t like this pick just didn’t want to waste a 2nd round pick on a qb. We wanted to surround wentz with weapons or add to the defense. No matter the injuries or whatever.

Yes. And all people like me want is for you to open your eyes and accept that the pick is not "wasted" unless Hurts as a player is a total bust. And the "No matter the injuries or whatever" attitude is exactly what I made fun of.

39 minutes ago, kentwo said:

I'm not sure how he'd not feel someone breathing down his neck. 

All the players went through the draft and know how valuable a 2nd round pick is. A lot of them know the players in this draft and know who could've helped the team win. So even if it is unspoken, there will be an awareness that the team used a high pick on Wentz back up rather than a potential starter. And true or not, there is no way that Wentz doesn't have the sense of someone breathing down his neck. 

Because he is talented and confident. The only thing he needs to worry about is staying healthy.

Whether or not that is breathing down his neck every time he steps on the field is a different discussion.

Carson isn't worried about being benched for Hurts.

Just now, allphilly said:

Because he is talented and confident. The only thing he needs to worry about is staying healthy.

Whether or not that is breathing down his neck every time he steps on the field is a different discussion.

Carson isn't worried about being benched for Hurts.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, allphilly said:

Did that touch you?

Nope...that's Wentz worrying about the QB behind him

Just now, graysferry said:

Nope...that's Wentz worrying about the QB behind him

That's laughable but knock yourself out

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

yourmom.jpg.0fdeb255a7eb0901b4be108f4c6aa0cf.jpg

My mom is in a wheelchair but this post is somehow more lame than she is

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

Here's my only question to those who see the benefit of picking Hurts that he might be a trade chip - how high of a pick do you think you're going to get for Hurts?            He was a 2nd rounder, not a 4th or 5th, and the likelihood of getting better than a 2nd next year for a kid who is a project with regard to being an NFL starter is remote.

I really think you guys are missing this thing completely.       Hurts isn't a trade chip, and he isn't here to replace Wentz (barring a bad injury).         He was drafted to be an offensive weapon, a big part of this offense.          This is classic "smartest guy in the room" stuff, as Roseman and Pederson are anticipating a move to multi-QB offenses in the league and are getting ahead of it.         I think they want to take what the Saints and Ravens have done and take it to the next level.        Can they do it?          That's the question that should decide the fate of both, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That may be true but you can't deny the fact there may not be a college football season in 2020-'21, even if the NFL season gets played OR such is severely delayed by the virus.  Either is going to make the 2021 draft a complete crapshoot and whether or not the Eagles go to a two-QB offense, the fact Hurts could prove to be a huge trade chip in 2021 because of the dynamics what is going on now is something that I think played into this.  That's why I think Howie made the gamble, he is betting on a canceled or severely delayed 2020-'21 college football season. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I agree WR1>RB1, but they got a better pick higher in the 2nd round than ours was, and a more established RB from the Cards.  PSU connection aside, and crazy as it is...Johnson may have been the guy that O'Brien wanted.  So high 2nd and Johnson>>>Low 3rd and Miles.  The Cardinals have quickly (and kind of under the radar) become a paper contender in the NFC West.

Oh, I agree.       My only point was that I'd do the 3rd and Sanders, and even add a late round pick.        But, of course, it's moot, and I'm looking forward to seeing Sanders in what I believe could be a massive season.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

That may be true but you can't deny the fact there may not be a college football season in 2020-'21, even if the NFL season gets played OR such is severely delayed by the virus.  Either is going to make the 2021 draft a complete crapshoot and whether or not the Eagles go to a two-QB offense, the fact Hurts could prove to be a huge trade chip in 2021 because of the dynamics what is going on now is something that I think played into this.  That's why I think Howie made the gamble, he is betting on a canceled or severely delayed 2020-'21 college football season. 

If he made the pick based on that gamble, then I'll change my assessment to it being a brutal move.         If Roseman is making a 2nd round pick based on speculation about what effect the Wuhan virus will have on the college season, he should be summarily fired right now. 

5 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Here's my only question to those who see the benefit of picking Hurts that he might be a trade chip - how high of a pick do you think you're going to get for Hurts?            He was a 2nd rounder, not a 4th or 5th, and the likelihood of getting better than a 2nd next year for a kid who is a project with regard to being an NFL starter is remote.

I really think you guys are missing this thing completely.       Hurts isn't a trade chip, and he isn't here to replace Wentz (barring a bad injury).         He was drafted to be an offensive weapon, a big part of this offense.          This is classic "smartest guy in the room" stuff, as Roseman and Pederson are anticipating a move to multi-QB offenses in the league and are getting ahead of it.         I think they want to take what the Saints and Ravens have done and take it to the next level.        Can they do it?          That's the question that should decide the fate of both, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You're missing the point that he IS that role and is ALSO a clear #2/potential starter for another team.  You're drafting him for three roles:

1. Capable backup on the cheap rookie deal

2. Offensive piece

3. eventual haul in picks back (hopefully)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Allhaildawk said:

You're missing the point that he IS that role and is ALSO a clear #2/potential starter for another team.  You're drafting him for three roles:

1. Capable backup on the cheap rookie deal

2. Offensive piece

3. eventual haul in picks back (hopefully)

I'm not missing the point at all, I'm only wondering how you use a 2nd round pick of a second QB as a trade chip?          How much more are you going to get than the 2nd you used to draft him, and why would you trade him when you specifically targeted him as a player you wanted?        Sorry, but that makes zero sense.         If he was a 5th rounder who flasjed as a rookie and could bring back a 2nd, different story, but no one is giving up a 1st round pick or a "haul" for Jalen Hurts.         Points one and two, with you all the way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjkvol said:

I'm not missing the point at all, I'm only wondering how you use a 2nd round pick of a second QB as a trade chip?          How much more are you going to get than the 2nd you used to draft him, and why would you trade him when you specifically targeted him as a player you wanted?        Sorry, but that makes zero sense.         If he was a 5th rounder who flasjed as a rookie and could bring back a 2nd, different story, but no one is giving up a 1st round pick or a "haul" for Jalen Hurts.         Points one and two, with you all the way.

It's a tricky one. I mean I find it highly unlikely that a team will give up more than what we did to trade for Hurts. His value won't have increased during the off season. And this pick makes no real sense if we just traded him for a second round pick next year. 

Hurts @ 5:00

Listen: I can look you, I can look him, I can look anybody in the Eye - hopefully face to face at some point in time soon - and tell you: We love Carson Wentz. And we've shown it with our actions. We've showed it when we traded everything to go and get him. We've showed it when we paid him with that contract. And it's not like we're trying to get out of that contract. We are committed to that, but we are trying to build a football team that has incredible depth, that we have that value of that backup Quarterback position and Jeffrey [Lurie] said: We want to have two of the top 10 Quarterbacks of the league. Like: That's our goal. That's what we are trying to do. And we want to continue to do that, because we've had so many experiences like this. And Mike, you know, I and maybe I've said this and you've heard it but I've talked about 2002 and you and I, 2003 we've put in a championship game, Donovan McNabb got knocked out we've played with a backup Quarterback. We come back in 2005 we had a backup Quarterback who went 5-11, the next year we had Jeff Garcia as backup we won the division with. 2010 Mike Vick starts as a backup we won the division. 2013 Nick Foles came in as a backup Quarterback and won the division. And then, you know, our last three years. So when we look at what makes the difference in terms of winning and losing and how valuable this position is, you know, it seemed to us when we went back and fourth about the logic of this - and obviously the evaluation of the player and what he could add to our team: That it made sense.

I agree that the backup QB is important.

But there are always plenty of guys available, who, maybe don’t work as franchise quarterbacks, but can win games in that role. Feeley, Garcia, Vick and of course Nick Foles have all done fantastically here.

Hurts might be good, but he unrefined and it’s doubtful he would be effective this year as a rookie if he had to play a substantial amount of games.

If he does work out, then there is no way he is going to simply stay here as a backup. If we want some value for him, we would need to trade him after year 3, which basically means we have used a second rounder to have a potentially good backup for 2 years, that you hope never gets a chance to show what he can do.

The only way this move makes sense is if the FO are truly concerned about Wentz (most likely because of the injuries) and they want a guy to potentially take over as Franchise Quarterback in the event that Wentz continues to get hurt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjkvol said:

You’re missing it man, because that’s not what happened. He’s not just a trading chip. Yes, you’re missing it. 

I've joked about it, but I don't think the eagles drafted him to be a trade chip.....I think they drafted him with the idea of him being versatile piece in the offense while learning to be the backup QB.

I think he's used as a RB and a motion receiver........I doubt you see him passing much this year, maybe a trick play once or twice.  The fact that defenses have to KNOW he can throw is what makes using him a bit more hard to defend.   The eagles have speed and versatility all over this offense.....now they need a creative offensive mind to get the most out of it.....and that's been a problem since Reich left.

11 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I've joked about it, but I don't think the eagles drafted him to be a trade chip.....I think they drafted him with the idea of him being versatile piece in the offense while learning to be the backup QB.

I think he's used as a RB and a motion receiver........I doubt you see him passing much this year, maybe a trick play once or twice.  The fact that defenses have to KNOW he can throw is what makes using him a bit more hard to defend.   The eagles have speed and versatility all over this offense.....now they need a creative offensive mind to get the most out of it.....and that's been a problem since Reich left.

So we made the playoffs pretty much without any planned WR healthy, yet the coaches get no credit for that at all?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Infam said:

The Eagles stated that very clear, and most commentators believe them. I do too.

If you think Teflon Howie would come right out and say they are worried about Wentz and they drafted his replacement you are either naive or playing dumb.

• Like 2