Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

6 hours ago, NVeagle said:

AJ Feeley was traded to the Miami Dolphins in March 2004 in exchange for Miami's 2005 second round pick.

He was also drafted in the 5th round.

• Like 1

Schefter just said he knows for a fact a team picking soon after the Eagles would have taken Hurts had the Eagles not. So much for all of the nitwits claiming he would have been there in the 3rd of 4th.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's a tricky one. I mean I find it highly unlikely that a team will give up more than what we did to trade for Hurts. His value won't have increased during the off season. And this pick makes no real sense if we just traded him for a second round pick next year. 

Exactly.         Roseman and Pederson wanted Hurts, and targeted him specifically.           The idea of picking a backup player in the 2nd round to be a "trade chip" is as absurd as drafting a project QB prospect to replace your franchise QB you just handed north of $100 million.

They drafted this kid to be a weapon in the offense from day one.        Whether it will be successful or a train wreck is anyone's guess, but if there were annual Lombardi trophies for being the smartest guys in the room, the Eagles' trophy case would dwarf the Patriots. 

6 hours ago, NVeagle said:

AJ Feeley was traded to the Miami Dolphins in March 2004 in exchange for Miami's 2005 second round pick.

AJ Feeley was a 5th round pick, and a traditional QB.         Apples and oranges.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Infam said:

So we made the playoffs pretty much without any planned WR healthy, yet the coaches get no credit for that at all?

On the contrary, I think the coaches did a good job getting the receivers ready......but I think the bigger factor was Wentz getting more confident in them and in his ability to hit a smaller window.  He was hesitant to throw to them earlier in the year and he gradually got more and more comfortable as the year went on......his last 4-5 games were more productive than earlier in  the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allhaildawk said:

You’re missing it man, because that’s not what happened. He’s not just a trading chip. Yes, you’re missing it. 

Uh, that's exactly what I've been saying for the last week here.         In fact, he's not a trade chip at all.         What am I missing?

51 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I've joked about it, but I don't think the eagles drafted him to be a trade chip.....I think they drafted him with the idea of him being versatile piece in the offense while learning to be the backup QB.

I think he's used as a RB and a motion receiver........I doubt you see him passing much this year, maybe a trick play once or twice.  The fact that defenses have to KNOW he can throw is what makes using him a bit more hard to defend.   The eagles have speed and versatility all over this offense.....now they need a creative offensive mind to get the most out of it.....and that's been a problem since Reich left.

Exactly.         They want to line him up all over the field, make him part of the offense.         Whether it will work as they hope is anyone's guess.

For a guy that needs a lot of help to develop at just being a backup QB, I think the idea of wasting that time to try and teach him running and WR routes and gimmick plays is detrimental to him and the team. I mean if Wentz goes down week 1 with an injury, theres a good chance youre going to see Sudfeld in at QB rather than Hurts. The more you try to reason with the pick, the more it doesn't make sense. They picked a good athlete to be the backup QB in the 2nd round, and unfortunately for him he isnt that good at playing QB lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

For a guy that needs a lot of help to develop at just being a backup QB, I think the idea of wasting that time to try and teach him running and WR routes and gimmick plays is detrimental to him and the team. I mean if Wentz goes down week 1 with an injury, theres a good chance youre going to see Sudfeld in at QB rather than Hurts. The more you try to reason with the pick, the more it doesn't make sense. They picked a good athlete to be the backup QB in the 2nd round, and unfortunately for him he isnt that good at playing QB lol.

He's better than you think, and I say that from watching him a ton in college.       But he's still a major project with regard to running an NFL team on a week to week basis.          Listen, this might turn out to be a train wreck, but my feeling is that the Eagles plan to make this kid part of the offense, and not just to run a few wildcats every game.        You don't draft this kind of player that high to be a backup QB when you have a guy entering his prime with a $100 mil contract.

40 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

AJ Feeley was a 5th round pick, and a traditional QB.         Apples and oranges.

An excellent chip for the QB factory.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

He's better than you think, and I say that from watching him a ton in college.       But he's still a major project with regard to running an NFL team on a week to week basis.          Listen, this might turn out to be a train wreck, but my feeling is that the Eagles plan to make this kid part of the offense, and not just to run a few wildcats every game.        You don't draft this kind of player that high to be a backup QB when you have a guy entering his prime with a $100 mil contract.

Yeah I mean I guess im just not with the majority here and I always thought this kid was going to be a bust at QB. I remember thinking that while watching him play at Bama. I also think whatever position youre putting him in on offense for whatever play, you're taking a better player off the field so that he can be on the field. Even the backups. I would rather have Boston Scott running the ball, Sudfeld throwing the ball, Hightower or Watkins catching the ball. Thats just me though. Ill wait to see what he can do. Guess thats all we can do.

• Like 1

Just now, UndyTaker said:

Yeah I mean I guess im just not with the majority here and I always thought this kid was going to be a bust at QB. I remember thinking that while watching him play at Bama. I also think whatever position youre putting him in on offense for whatever play, you're taking a better player off the field so that he can be on the field. Even the backups. I would rather have Boston Scott running the ball, Sudfeld throwing the ball, Hightower or Watkins catching the ball. Thats just me though. Ill wait to see what he can do. Guess thats all we can do.

In an ordinarily designed play then yeah I would agree with you that you'd rather your RB run the ball, your QB throw the ball and your WR catch the ball. But plays will be designed that throw defenses off and expose a mistake or a wrinkle. That's on Doug and his coaches to get creative.

3 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

I haven’t seen much of him play, but I agree - I just don’t see him as a significant improvement on the offense. We have plenty of weapons on offense and I remember when we tried inserting Vick it didn’t work.

He needs to be developing as a QB, not spending most of his time on gadget plays.

Is anybody disagreeing that the FO believe he could be our franchise QB going forward?

The hope is that Wentz stays healthy and solidifies himself as an elite quarterback.

But if it goes wrong and Hurts comes in and plays well, I truly believe the Eagles will consider trading Wentz and rolling with Hurts.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In an ordinarily designed play then yeah I would agree with you that you'd rather your RB run the ball, your QB throw the ball and your WR catch the ball. But plays will be designed that throw defenses off and expose a mistake or a wrinkle. That's on Doug and his coaches to get creative.

So I guess I have 3 questions to that...hear me out lol

1. Do you trust Doug and this new coaching staff around him are capable of coming up with these sort of plays and getting them to execute? I mean what we have seen from Doug the past 2 years is that he is able to get this team to execute better late in the season and have them go on a run to be in position to make the playoffs....but his playcalling throughout these past 2 seasons have not been the greatest. He has had some great games coached, but I would argue he has had far more games where you can criticize the blandness of his offense....so full circle here is....does he need a player like Hurts to revolutionize this offense? 

2. Do you think Hurts will actually be able to be successful in these designed plays?

3. Is all of this still worth the 53rd pick?

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

Uh, that's exactly what I've been saying for the last week here.         In fact, he's not a trade chip at all.         What am I missing?

You’re missing quite a bit. Look back at the post I quoted, because you’re also not being honest about what you said. 

21 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Good points, and that very well might turn out to be the case.        The Eagles are gambling that having a multi-dimensional player lining up at RB or WR will add a dimension of unpredictability to the offense and be impossible to prepare for.        At least that's how I see it.

8 minutes ago, Allhaildawk said:

You’re missing quite a bit. Look back at the post I quoted, because you’re also not being honest about what you said. 

I don't know what the hell you're talking about  - either spell it out or let's drop it.        I'm not going back to search for posts.

21 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

So I guess I have 3 questions to that...hear me out lol

1. Do you trust Doug and this new coaching staff around him are capable of coming up with these sort of plays and getting them to execute? I mean what we have seen from Doug the past 2 years is that he is able to get this team to execute better late in the season and have them go on a run to be in position to make the playoffs....but his playcalling throughout these past 2 seasons have not been the greatest. He has had some great games coached, but I would argue he has had far more games where you can criticize the blandness of his offense....so full circle here is....does he need a player like Hurts to revolutionize this offense? 

2. Do you think Hurts will actually be able to be successful in these designed plays?

3. Is all of this still worth the 53rd pick?

So here are my responses:

1) I think we should trust Doug and the new coaches. I think the whole point of those coaching changes were to try and get this offense back to where it was in 2017 in being creative and in being ahead of other teams. I agree overall though this hasn't been the most creative offense the last couple of years.

2) I mean that's the big question really. Yes I think he will as long as they use it at the right time and the plays are designed properly.

3) I think you have to factor in a number of reasons as to why they have selected Hurts at #53. I don't like the pick but I am trying to understand it.

38 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

I don't know what the hell you're talking about  - either spell it out or let's drop it.        I'm not going back to search for posts.

Convenient. 

2 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Exactly.         They want to line him up all over the field, make him part of the offense.         Whether it will work as they hope is anyone's guess.

Well, if Hurts wants to fast track his value, he'll embrace the the multi-weapon role.  They will definitely develop him as a QB too, but getting on the field, in any capacity, can only help his development.  Being in the huddle with Wentz, playing in the backfield, in motion or split out......seeing the defensive alignment from different perspectives, can only help him learn.  

I really don't know how much the eagles will use him...I hope it's not by taking Wentz out in the red zone.....

42 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, if Hurts wants to fast track his value, he'll embrace the the multi-weapon role.  They will definitely develop him as a QB too, but getting on the field, in any capacity, can only help his development.  Being in the huddle with Wentz, playing in the backfield, in motion or split out......seeing the defensive alignment from different perspectives, can only help him learn.  

I really don't know how much the eagles will use him...I hope it's not by taking Wentz out in the red zone.....

Depends on where in the redzone. First and goal inside the 3 would be where I'd consider Hurts provided that we are dedicated to running the ball down there. Think of him as a bigger Kordell Stewart. He's just as athletic plus 10 pounds.

• Like 1

It doesn't take a year of development to take a hand-off and make 2 or 3 reads, even with the smaller off-season program. And with the vertical pass attack, the line of scrimmage outside the hashmarks should be wide open.

5 hours ago, Infam said:

So we made the playoffs pretty much without any planned WR healthy, yet the coaches get no credit for that at all?

Why not. Wentz dosnt seem to get any credit for it. Mostly because he was taken out with a cheap shot in the playoffs. That seems to erase any credit of the near miraculous job he did working with leftovers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Schefter just said he knows for a fact a team picking soon after the Eagles would have taken Hurts had the Eagles not. So much for all of the nitwits claiming he would have been there in the 3rd of 4th.

So who cares? We don't need him.