Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

So who cares? We don't need him.

Don't need is perhaps strong. But I agree that if he's not there in the third then so be it. 

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, if Hurts wants to fast track his value, he'll embrace the the multi-weapon role.  They will definitely develop him as a QB too, but getting on the field, in any capacity, can only help his development.  Being in the huddle with Wentz, playing in the backfield, in motion or split out......seeing the defensive alignment from different perspectives, can only help him learn.  

I really don't know how much the eagles will use him...I hope it's not by taking Wentz out in the red zone.....

You see this is one of the issues I have.

We have a great Quarterback in Wentz. Do we really want to be taking him out or having him line up at WR for glorified trick plays?

Maybe teams would have more to prepare for, but it’s not like Wentz can’t run if a lane opens up. Teams still need to account for him scrambling or on an RPO still.

And as you say we don’t want to lose Wentz’s passing ability in the red zone or knock him out of a rhythm if he is moving the ball downfield.

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

We have a great Quarterback in Wentz. Do we really want to be taking him out or having him line up at WR for glorified trick plays?

I mean the Saints do it with Brees.

5 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Schefter just said he knows for a fact a team picking soon after the Eagles would have taken Hurts had the Eagles not. So much for all of the nitwits claiming he would have been there in the 3rd of 4th.

It has to be the Ravens he is talking about, right? Would fit pretty good with them, too. Or the Patriots?

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

It has to be the Ravens he is talking about, right? Would fit pretty good with them, too. Or the Patriots?

Hmm Ravens perhaps as they have a more complete roster than us. Pats? Not so sure because Bill may have spoken with his old buddy in Bama.

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm Ravens perhaps as they have a more complete roster than us. Pats? Not so sure because Bill may have spoken with his old buddy in Bama.

The Ravens filled some of their huge holes on their defense in the draft. Got new starters at a couple of their LB positions. Which, coincidentally, is what the Eagles could've used their second round pick to do.

Pats, as always, trying to outsmart everyone and didn't take a QB at all. So not sure if they were just set from the start that they have their guy and were going to prove to everyone that he's their guy. Tenn or Carolina maybe? 

Just now, kentwo said:

Pats, as always, trying to outsmart everyone and didn't take a QB at all. So not sure if they were just set from the start that they have their guy and were going to prove to everyone that he's their guy. Tenn or Carolina maybe? 

No according to Belichick coming out of the draft without a QB wasn't by design. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No according to Belichick coming out of the draft without a QB wasn't by design. 

Ok. Maybe it was the Pats then. Tenn did get a QB later in the draft and Carolina seemed committed to improving their defense. Though, I'm not sure how confident I'd be with Tannehill or Bridgewater as my guys. 

30 minutes ago, kentwo said:

Pats, as always, trying to outsmart everyone and didn't take a QB at all

I'm convinced the Pats are gonna tank this year to get Trevor Lawrence.

17 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'm not sure tanking is in Cheatilick's dictionary is it?

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's a tricky one. I mean I find it highly unlikely that a team will give up more than what we did to trade for Hurts. His value won't have increased during the off season. And this pick makes no real sense if we just traded him for a second round pick next year. 

That is assuming that Hurts would be the one that the Eagles decide to trade.

42 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

They're dolphining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You see this is one of the issues I have.

Maybe teams would have more to prepare for, but it’s not like Wentz can’t run if a lane opens up. Teams still need to account for him scrambling or on an RPO still.

And as you say we don’t want to lose Wentz’s passing ability in the red zone or knock him out of a rhythm if he is moving the ball downfield.

He does a fine job all on his own of taking himself out.

Ncaa Football GIF by SEC Network - Find & Share on GIPHY

Just wait until you see the finger guns for yourself up close. You'll forget all about Ginger Jesus in the blue tent. 

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure tanking is in Cheatilick's dictionary is it?

They aren't Going to win alot of games this year anyway. So why not?

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

One wouldn’t think but you never know. Their only threat is the Bills. I could see Darnold having a good year but that team just doesn’t seem to click. 

1 minute ago, Maga301 said:

One wouldn’t think but you never know. Their only threat is the Bills. I could see Darnold having a good year but that team just doesn’t seem to click. 

I actually think the Dolphins will be decent this year.

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I actually think the Dolphins will be decent this year.

It’s possible. 

Hopefully a team gets desperate for a QB and are willing to overpay for Hurts.

16 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Hopefully a team gets desperate for a QB and are willing to overpay for Hurts.

The more and more I think about this, the more I am convinced that if things line up correctly they would move Wentz instead of Hurts.

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

The more and more I think about this, the more I am convinced that if things line up correctly they would move Wentz instead of Hurts.

That would be beyond idiotic. Carson is a top 10, borderline top 5 QB when he is on. Hurts lost his job in college and had to transfer after being benched at halftime in a national championship game. He can't pass in the pocket.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MR-CYN said:

the criticism on jalen hurts | SECRant.com

I usually ignore your troll posts but I'll bite on this one. That's his Alabama uniform. Didn't he lose his job there? 

47 minutes ago, MR-CYN said:

the criticism on jalen hurts | SECRant.com

Remember he got benched after this and was the 2nd guy in Alabama.

Then he came in 2nd place for the Heisman.

Now he's a 2nd round pick.

And will be a 2nd QB on this roster.

He'll be fine, he used to not being a 1

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

I think they'll win enough. And if they don't then all the more reason to not play Alshon. 

1 hour ago, graysferry said:

Remember he got benched after this and was the 2nd guy in Alabama.

Then he came in 2nd place for the Heisman.

Now he's a 2nd round pick.

And will be a 2nd QB on this roster.

He'll be fine, he used to not being a 1

Also I just saw who he was playing in that clip. Tennessee. They were God awful then and still are. 😂