Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

53 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Still entertaining watching people trying to rationalize this

There are 2 groups doing it. One side I can understand. One group doesn't like the pick but its done so they are just trying to rationalize it. Even if I dont agree with their reasoning I can understand. The other group is super excited because they think Wentz is garbage and Hurts is the second coming or something. They have lost their minds. 

15 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

There are 2 groups doing it. One side I can understand. One group doesn't like the pick but its done so they are just trying to rationalize it. Even if I dont agree with their reasoning I can understand. The other group is super excited because they think Wentz is garbage and Hurts is the second coming or something. They have lost their minds. 

I’m in group 1. This guy ain’t displacing Carson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I've read forum posts, articles, and social media stuff. Haven't seen a single point to rationalize the pick. 

Just gave up trying. 

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

If you don't get the rational behind the pick at this point that's on you. Understanding why they did it, isn't the same as liking the pick or agreeing with the value they placed on the player/role. I wouldn't have done it, but after getting over the initial shock I get why they did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

That would be beyond idiotic. Carson is a top 10, borderline top 5 QB when he is on. Hurts lost his job in college and had to transfer after being benched at halftime in a national championship game. He can't pass in the pocket.

Couple of things - I am not saying it will happen nor am I wishing that Carson was gone.

However if Jalen comes into play and he ends up being the second coming of Randall Cunningham or Russell Wilson, you really would have to look at it. Wentz would be worth a lot more then Hurts on the open market, Hurts would be cheaper and you could quickly build around him. This is also a team that won a Super Bowl with a backup QB that lost his job to a 6th rounder in Jacksonville.

If they feel that they could get the same or better production from Hurts, they may look at it. Business wise it would make sense, but only if they truly felt they could win with Hurts under center.

Secondly, once a player is drafted it no longer matters what happened in college. Troy Aikman broke his leg in college and then lost his starting job at Oklahoma so he transferred to another school. In Tom Brady's senior year he had split the QB duties with Drew Henson, with one QB taking the first half and the other taking the second half. There are countless other players that have lost their jobs, got suspended or played bad in college only to thrive in the NFL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Wentz would be worth a lot more then Hurts on the open market,

There is a reason for that. Wentz is better.

4 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

He's also proven in the league and I don't think anyone is arguing that.

6 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's also proven in the league and I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Agreed 100%.

But what this move says to me is that they are concerned about Wentz’s durability and if injuries continue to be an issue for him over the next 2/3 years and Hurts does develop and look good, then I think they will trade Wentz.

Not saying I agree with the approach- but that is the logical conclusion from this move and that’s why Wentz is understandably unhappy.

14 hours ago, graysferry said:

Remember he got benched after this and was the 2nd guy in Alabama.

Then he came in 2nd place for the Heisman.

Now he's a 2nd round pick.

And will be a 2nd QB on this roster.

He'll be fine, he used to not being a 1

I remember I'm a fan of the team not a player. ☝️

I'll be remembering all kinds of things long after Wentz is gone next year. 👍

• Like 1

Took me awhile to warm up to this move but we need a backup that can make things at least interesting when we get the next Clowney cheap shot that knocks Wentz out and there’s nothing you can do about it. 

• Like 1

I’m in the same boat as everyone else with this pick. Turned off the TV and threw my remote in disgust. But what’s done is done. It really all comes down to this:

1. Carson has had an injury every year going back to 2015. Final year of college – broken wrist. Rookie season – broken ribs (preseason – missed no games). 2nd season – torn ACL. 3rd season – Broken vertebrae. 4th season – Concussion.  Missed 3 straight playoff runs.

2. The Eagles really believe in Jalen Hurts as a high level prospect.

Player A – 3,851 Passing Yards, 32 Passing TDs, 1,298 Rushing Yards, 20 Rushing TDs

Player B – 3,660 Passing Yards, 27 Passing TDs, 1,601 Rushing Yards, 18 Rushing TDs

Those are the final college season stat lines for Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson, respectively. Hurts doesn’t have the speed and athleticism of Lamar Jackson, and I’m not saying he’ll be as good, but this is the way the league is trending. Hurts, Jackson, Kyler Murray and DeShaun Watson are the only college QBs with 3,000 passing yards, 1,000 rushing yards and 30+ TDs in a season. The Front Office must really think he’ll be that tier of prospect to spend a high value pick on him. I don’t personally see it and wouldn’t have taken him even if he was because I have my franchise QB already in hand. With that being said, I’m hoping everything magically works out.

Hi y'all.

I like this pick; I give Howie a solid B grade. Quarterbacks are valuable commodities if they have any hope of being good quarterbacks. Jalen Hurts does have that hope. The Eagles did well over the next few picks with Taylor, Wallace, Hightower, both tackles from Auburn, etc. This whole assumption that "OMG we have holes to fill and can't afford an embarrassment of riches at the most important position in sports" is short-sighted. It's just a second round pick; small price to pay to avoid paying Joe Flacco to be the backup.

Plus, Ashley Lelie Jr. isn't yet draft eligible. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, mjkvol said:

If he made the pick based on that gamble, then I'll change my assessment to it being a brutal move.         If Roseman is making a 2nd round pick based on speculation about what effect the Wuhan virus will have on the college season, he should be summarily fired right now. 

Under normal circumstances, yes, but 2020-'21 may be anything BUT a normal college football season EVEN IF the NFL does start and finish on time. 

13 hours ago, dbird said:

Those are the final college season stat lines for Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson

One played at Louisville with Mediocre talent while the other played at powerhouse Oklahoma with elite college talent. It makes a difference. That the numbers are close to the same is a testament to Jackson not Hurts 

36 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Under normal circumstances, yes, but 2020-'21 may be anything BUT a normal college football season EVEN IF the NFL does start and finish on time. 

I still don't get the point.       So the theory is that some QB needy team will offer the Eagles a 1st for a project QB?         

Again, if he had been a 4th or 5th, I still wouldn't buy into virus connection, but the idea of flipping him for a 2nd or 3rd makes a little more sense.       And it's still a bizarre use for a 2nd rounder in a draft where you really needed to upgrade some spots on the roster.

For better or worse, they drafted Hurts to be a part of this offense now.       

On 4/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well hang on, how do we know Wentz isn't happy right now?

Carson is going to handle things like the pro he is, but no one can tell me Carson likes this move. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, McNabbIsDone said:

As long as Carson plays the way he’s capable of and stays healthy he’s going to be fine. Seems easy enough right? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carson is going to handle things like the pro he is, but no one can tell me Carson likes this move. 

There's not happy and then there's unhappy like some have tried to suggest. I am sure he isn't thrilled by the move but as you say he will get on with it as a pro.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 2:05 AM, Uscg-green said:

Can I just like Wentz and Hurts both, please? For me it's a good pick for many reasons.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's not happy and then there's unhappy like some have tried to suggest. I am sure he isn't thrilled by the move but as you say he will get on with it as a pro.

Ever the optimist, I believe these two to be similar enough to eventually end up friends.

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

Ever the optimist, I believe these two to be similar enough to eventually end up friends.

They might well be, doesn't mean Wentz has to be happy with the pick though. Liking the guy and liking the move are different. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They might well be, doesn't mean Wentz has to be happy with the pick though. Liking the guy and liking the move are different. 

Is it really though?

If I was Wentz, and there is a dude I like that says he wants to learn from me.. If I was Wentz, I would probably never think: Oh I could get hurt and my season ends. I would probably know though that I could miss some time, by concussion or whatever. And then I'd probably prefer Hurts out there with a shot to save the season over Sudfeld.

Now, I would want him to win but maybe not look too perfect doing it, but hey - in the end there is still a season to come back to.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Is it really though?

If I was Wentz, and there is a dude I like that says he wants to learn from me.. If I was Wentz, I would probably never think: Oh I could get hurt and my season ends. I would probably know though that I could miss some time, by concussion or whatever. And then I'd probably would prefer Hurts out there with a shot to save the season over Sudfeld.

Now, I would want him to win but maybe not look too perfect doing it, but hey - in the end there is still a season to come back to.

Yes I think it is. Ask Wentz for an honest answer and I'd guess his response would be that he'd rather a weapon, a lineman or a play maker on defense. But we will never know the truth.