Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte now airing

NOTW

I really like the idea of them exploring the universe before the plot of the movies.  Really interesting plots have been alluded to in both the movies and the games (Revan/Malak from Knights of the old republic, Night Sisters of Dathomir, The Sith Empire, The Zeffo, Darth Plagueis etc).

Star wars expanded content >>> the core movies at this point.  

14 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Good grief Bobba Fett is horrible.  Kenobi is better but they sure succeeded in finding a little girl that is every bit as jarringly bad and annoying as the kid the did Anakin in the prequels.  methinks this whole Favreu/Filoni thing is way overblown if Mandalaroian is the high point and its like a 7/10.

While Boba Fett was a major miss, the young Leia is light years, and I mean light years, better than kid Anakin. (Chase scene in the woods aside, that was poorly done/edited.)

18 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

While Boba Fett was a major miss, the young Leia is light years, and I mean light years, better than kid Anakin. (Chase scene in the woods aside, that was poorly done/edited.)

Half the episode was grownups, bounty hunters and Jedi, pretending they couldn't catch a 10 yr old girl that runs like a 6 yr old.  Over on Bobba Fett there's a brutal fight scene between a wookie and two other dude's in rubber suits that was so bad it looked like a pair of team mascots going at it.  Oh, and the moped scene, jimminy crickets...What the hell is going on with the action coordination of these series?

• Like 1

Kenobi was ok. Chasing a gobby 10 year old around a market has it's limits; the nostalgia is going to wear off at some point and the whole Disney lack of coherent storyline thing will rear it's ugly head.  Obi Wan could be a stormtrooper with shooting that bad; the fake Jedi storyline was lame, oh I repented, here's a ship off the planet that wasn't going to get shot down in the atmosphere. Almost insulting the audiences intelligence. The Inquisitor stuff was pretty lame too, not menacing in whatever form they are in - much more on it in the cartoons.

It's better than some of the recent Marvel stuff, but they set the bar very low nowadays. I still maintain Star Wars Visions was some of the best Star Wars stuff to be made in years, primarily as Disney didn't have much to do with it.  The difference in quality was very apparent

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

Kenobi was ok. Chasing a gobby 10 year old around a market has it's limits; the nostalgia is going to wear off at some point and the whole Disney lack of coherent storyline thing will rear it's ugly head.  Obi Wan could be a stormtrooper with shooting that bad; the fake Jedi storyline was lame, oh I repented, here's a ship off the planet that wasn't going to get shot down in the atmosphere. Almost insulting the audiences intelligence. The Inquisitor stuff was pretty lame too, not menacing in whatever form they are in - much more on it in the cartoons.

It's better than some of the recent Marvel stuff, but they set the bar very low nowadays. I still maintain Star Wars Visions was some of the best Star Wars stuff to be made in years, primarily as Disney didn't have much to do with it.  The difference in quality was very apparent

You're in luck then.

Screenshot_20220530-160646_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Obi-Wan, sorry, Ben Kenobi.  Young Leah is annoying but that’s kind of the point, although the chase through the woods and market was laughable at how slow she was and yet no one could catch her. But I am enjoying Ewan’s performance so far. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

But I am enjoying Ewan’s performance so far. 

This. The plot is a little cookie cutter, but I can't get enough of Ewan McGregor playing Obi Wan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gannan said:

This. The plot is a little cookie cutter, but I can't get enough of Ewan McGregor playing Obi Wan. 

make that three. 

Really enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes. Yeah, little child actors are always annoying, but this is light years better than young Anakin.

27 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

make that three. 

Four. McGregor is just killing it so far.

I have good feelings that Hayden is gonna kill it. Looking forward to see how dark and evil he goes. I am definitely liking Obiwan so far and is on par with Mandolorian. Book of boba fett was ok and had some amazing parts but had too much cheese-ness happening

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Really enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes. Yeah, little child actors are always annoying, but this is light years better than young Anakin.

Four. McGregor is just killing it so far.

Spoiler

prime example, his reaction to learning who vader is. just the look in his eyes alone was on point. 

• Thanks 1

Mcgregor's Obi Wan was always one of the more understated great performances I can ever remember.  It sure seems like he slipped right back into that character he created.  If nothing else the show will be able to lean on that.  In contrast Fett's problem is exactly that the two leads blow

9 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:
  Reveal hidden contents

prime example, his reaction to learning who vader is. just the look in his eyes alone was on point. 

Yeah. That was perfection. And I didn't really consider that it would be a surprise to Kenobi. Just so well done.

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Yeah. That was perfection. And I didn't really consider that it would be a surprise to Kenobi. Just so well done.

It looked like he was doing a version of the cartoon version that was a version of him. 

5 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

agreed, that caught me a little off guard as well. 

McGregor is very good in this, don't get me wrong. Makes the plot issues kind of go away

On 5/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, NOTW said:

You're in luck then.

Screenshot_20220530-160646_Instagram.jpg

I am looking forward to it. The stories were a bit off kilter at times, but with animation, very good.

Forgot the next episode drops tomorrow!

McGregor is killing it. And I think Reva is more complicated than they’re letting on.

Third episode is incredible. I'm loving this show so far, horrible forest/market chase sequences aside.

The episode was good, the writing/story still sucks massive balls, but that sequence was good fan service.  McGregor is elevating the material

2 hours ago, devpool said:

Third episode is incredible. I'm loving this show so far, horrible forest/market chase sequences aside.

yes it was. damn. 

Im watching the 3rd episode tonight. You guys are making me want to leave work and haul arse home to watch it LOL

11 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

The episode was good, the writing/story still sucks massive balls, but that sequence was good fan service.  McGregor is elevating the material

What about the writing and story sucks? How would you change it? Genuinely asking.

Meh. Writing isn't great. This should be epic and it's just ok.

• Like 1