Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte now airing

NOTW

Grand Smurf Tarkin. Ouch

That video really didn't hold back at all at Ahsoka; not good for Disney to see the not nerds laughing at it

22 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

i gave Ashoka a couple attempts but the pace of that dialogue was so utterly brutal I just couldn't.

so not quite at the level of TLJ ? 

• Haha 1

Fun random moment today. 

I left home a couple days ago for a road trip to Arizona, today I was driving just outside of the Grand Canyon. Stopped for gas at some crappy little Sinclair gas station with really nothing else in the area. This couple was next to me, husband wearing an Acolyte shirt & wife wearing an Andor shirt. I geeked out for a second but decided not to say anything about me loving Star Wars also. I ended up in same snack aisle as the wife, said hey love your Andor shirt. Told her I’m a huge fan of the show, that’s it’s one of if not probably my favorite Star Wars thing I’ve watched. She replied saying thanks, that her and her husband helped create the show. I was like you mean the dude wearing the acolyte show no way?? She said yeah they worked on set, she was I believe the production manager and apparently he was high up on the VFX, or something like that. It was really cool, we chatted for another few minutes about Andor. I told her they did an outstanding job and it’s so well done. I talked to her husband a little bit about the acolyte also. Very cool & nice people

Such a wild weird thing to happen to me out there lol. She did say that if I thought all that was great, that I’m going to love season 2 👀👀

• Like 2

So how long before Disney just decides to reboot the original trilogy? 

I would have bet against it previously, but I'm starting to think that they'll eventually just give up trying to come up with fresh content and just rehash the original trilogies 

I can see them doing it out of sheer desperation for a perceived cash grab - like they have done with other properties like Little Mermaid, Snow White,etc.

They can then also add in modern Disney sensibilities that don't vibe with Han Solo being a dick and Leia dressing like a sex slave next to obese alien.  Ahsoka can then be everywhere and the Force can be learned via 5 min YouTube video.  Plus lots more Anakin too.

I don't see a massive audience for it - too many people are attached to the original trilogy and those characters. And they still can't write a cohesive story

45 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

I can see them doing it out of sheer desperation for a perceived cash grab - like they have done with other properties like Little Mermaid, Snow White,etc.

They can then also add in modern Disney sensibilities that don't vibe with Han Solo being a dick and Leia dressing like a sex slave next to obese alien.  Ahsoka can then be everywhere and the Force can be learned via 5 min YouTube video.  Plus lots more Anakin too.

I don't see a massive audience for it - too many people are attached to the original trilogy and those characters. And they still can't write a cohesive story

I think the easiest thing for them to do is do the opposite of what they've been doing with their animated movies.... 

Make an animated/cgi version of the originals using the audio from the original movies. 

That way they don't have to recast the characters 

And with modern CGI/AI, you can replicate voices and facial features, so can easily fill the gaps or tweak audio.  I believe, some of the recent Vader voice has been an AI James Earl Jones, not fully the actor. This is what the SAG are so afraid of - studios can take your voice, and not pay inflated wages to actors for repeat appearances.

But the changing animated to live action/cgi is really neat way of doing it.  It's a great way to earn $ and keep everyone happy.

19 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

So how long before Disney just decides to reboot the original trilogy? 

I would have bet against it previously, but I'm starting to think that they'll eventually just give up trying to come up with fresh content and just rehash the original trilogies 

I think with TFA & Ahsoka you see them doing a version of a reboot where they use a mix of new & old characters, cartoon & "Legends" characters (EU, Canon whatever like Thrawn) and going through essentially the same core plots and character developments.

They've reported that the TV shows taking place between eps 6 & 7 will lead to a final movie, apparently they will be done with that time period. 

Kathleen Kennedy said a couple years ago the plan is more movies with Rey rebuilding the Jedi order (the story we wanted to see Luke do), Poe & Finn would also be back. Since then, Boyega felt slighted in the last movie & he's done with SW. So we'll see.

What they *should* do is probably go do KOTOR era and don't have any characters from previous movies.

Or do some more Andor type shows with smaller stakes, new planets and fringes of the main Skywalker/Jedi/Sith/Republic stories.

If they start losing money they could cave, give the fans what they want and just reboot eps 7-9. Fans would have no problem casting Sebastian Stan as Luke to give us the Luke we want to see. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I think with TFA & Ahsoka you see them doing a version of a reboot where they use a mix of new & old characters, cartoon & "Legends" characters (EU, Canon whatever like Thrawn) and going through essentially the same core plots and character developments.

They've reported that the TV shows taking place between eps 6 & 7 will lead to a final movie, apparently they will be done with that time period. 

Kathleen Kennedy said a couple years ago the plan is more movies with Rey rebuilding the Jedi order (the story we wanted to see Luke do), Poe & Finn would also be back. Since then, Boyega felt slighted in the last movie & he's done with SW. So we'll see.

What they *should* do is probably go do KOTOR era and don't have any characters from previous movies.

Or do some more Andor type shows with smaller stakes, new planets and fringes of the main Skywalker/Jedi/Sith/Republic stories.

If they start losing money they could cave, give the fans what they want and just reboot eps 7-9. Fans would have no problem casting Sebastian Stan as Luke to give us the Luke we want to see. 

The last thing. Just do that. Give people the Luke they wanted to see for 40 years, make a bajillion dollars and stop messing around. 

That makes way too much sense to do that. They deliberately didn't have Han, Luke and Leia reunite on screen, which would have been a massive money printing machine for cinemas and merch if stretched over 2 films, because of "reasons". 

If I knew those 3 would reunite on screen, I'd accept a pretty crap movie, just for the moment. And buy the Blu Ray afterwards

8 hours ago, vikas83 said:

The last thing. Just do that. Give people the Luke they wanted to see for 40 years, make a bajillion dollars and stop messing around. 

Agree.  But the sequels made them a ton of money so why would they?  However, they do listen to fans and have tried to squeeze in fan service in different content.  The Mandalorian gave us a scene with Luke balling out.  Various shows have given extra Order 66 scenes.  Rogue One gave us a badass Vader.  Ahsoka showed Anakin as a wise Jedi retconning the whiny teen from the prequels, and also added some live action Clone Wars scenes.  Most of the content has got back to more practical sets and effects, costumes and less CGI.  They've gone overboard with nostalgia at times but it shows they are trying to appease fans.

The sequels were partly making up for what fans didn't like about the prequels.  Then the TV shows are trying to make up for what fans didn't like about the sequels.  They haven't learned to listen and just not make those mistakes.  Rogue One, Mandalorian, Andor...these are things fans pretty much universally liked.  They feel like SW while still doing something different and are satisfying.  That's the blueprint.  

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

Agree.  But the sequels made them a ton of money so why would they?  However, they do listen to fans and have tried to squeeze in fan service in different content.  The Mandalorian gave us a scene with Luke balling out.  Various shows have given extra Order 66 scenes.  Rogue One gave us a badass Vader.  Ahsoka showed Anakin as a wise Jedi retconning the whiny teen from the prequels, and also added some live action Clone Wars scenes.  Most of the content has got back to more practical sets and effects, costumes and less CGI.  They've gone overboard with nostalgia at times but it shows they are trying to appease fans.

The sequels were partly making up for what fans didn't like about the prequels.  Then the TV shows are trying to make up for what fans didn't like about the sequels.  They haven't learned to listen and just not make those mistakes.  Rogue One, Mandalorian, Andor...these are things fans pretty much universally liked.  They feel like SW while still doing something different and are satisfying.  That's the blueprint.  

The sequels made progressively less money and Last Jedi and ROS underperformed. It’s not about how much they made. It’s the opportunity cost of how much they could have made with a different product. 

Basically, it’s like they let people who hate Star Wars make a Star Wars trilogy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

The sequels made progressively less money and Last Jedi and ROS underperformed. It’s not about how much they made. It’s the opportunity cost of how much they could have made with a different product. 

Basically, it’s like they let people who hate Star Wars make a Star Wars trilogy. 

Ah, makes sense. You're saying they made their money but since the numbers declined they could have made more and lost out by not taking the slam dunk & give fans what they wanted. 

The box office for the last trilogy + other films is stark reading

Release Date
Title Production Budget Opening Weekend Domestic Box Office Worldwide Box Office
Dec 20, 2019 Star Wars: The Rise of Skyw… $275,000,000 $177,383,864 $515,202,542 $1,072,767,997
May 25, 2018 Solo: A Star Wars Story $275,000,000 $84,420,489 $213,767,512 $393,151,347
Dec 15, 2017 Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Las… $262,000,000 $220,009,584 $620,181,382 $1,331,635,141
Dec 16, 2016 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $200,000,000 $155,081,681 $533,539,991 $1,055,083,596
Dec 18, 2015 Star Wars Ep. VII: The Forc… $306,000,000 $247,966,675 $936,662,225 $2,064,615,817

A similar thread runs through Marvel too.  You can see why they brought JJ on board to try and course correct the cash cow.  It does highlight the issue with doing another Rey film - where is the audience for it?

5 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

The box office for the last trilogy + other films is stark reading

Release Date
Title Production Budget Opening Weekend Domestic Box Office Worldwide Box Office
Dec 20, 2019 Star Wars: The Rise of Skyw… $275,000,000 $177,383,864 $515,202,542 $1,072,767,997
May 25, 2018 Solo: A Star Wars Story $275,000,000 $84,420,489 $213,767,512 $393,151,347
Dec 15, 2017 Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Las… $262,000,000 $220,009,584 $620,181,382 $1,331,635,141
Dec 16, 2016 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $200,000,000 $155,081,681 $533,539,991 $1,055,083,596
Dec 18, 2015 Star Wars Ep. VII: The Forc… $306,000,000 $247,966,675 $936,662,225 $2,064,615,817

A similar thread runs through Marvel too.  You can see why they brought JJ on board to try and course correct the cash cow.  It does highlight the issue with doing another Rey film - where is the audience for it?

The same audience that goes for Ant Man 3, that's who.  These franchises have captive audiences like McDonald's.  It's not like any of these movies actually lost money.

17 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

The same audience that goes for Ant Man 3, that's who.  These franchises have captive audiences like McDonald's.  It's not like any of these movies actually lost money.

I only recently learnt that there are a marketing costs and cinemas take a chunk from the box office (makes total sense), so the figures quoted aren't necessarily the final profit.  And moving to streaming has nigh on killed off the blu ray revenue streams that would fill the gaps for films afterwards.

So the last trilogy made money (esp film 1), but stuff like Solo or Ant Man 3 may not have made a profit once all costs were looked at.  Esp when you consider the amount of reshoots, etc expanding the budget.

14 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Screenshot_20231025_151933_Instagram.thumb.jpg.c5d929a1d2160334b2318d3c385b2c60.jpg

🤔

Crikey.  Makes sense but sad to see. The reason for that Snow White remake makes absolute sense, and the push for Rey to be so prominent in that trilogy.

Vaughn added that Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Co. have strayed from the signature storyline of "Star Wars” about the Skywalker family. According to Vaughn, the Disney+ series have done a far better job propelling the franchise forward than the films.

Lol. No, just no.  They've arguably made it more confusing trying to self reference and insert characters into places they don't need then, over creating net new. Go 50 years in the future and you can do what you want as everyone canonically from the OT will be dead.  Apart from Rey but no one other than Disney takes her that seriously any more.

"Look, I think for the ‘Star Wars’ universe to expand, it has to expand,” Waititi told Total Film about his yet-to-be-titled movie. "I don’t think that I’m any use in the ‘Star Wars’ universe making a film where everyone’s like, ‘Oh great, well that’s the blueprints to the Millennium Falcon, ah that’s Chewbacca’s grandmother.'”

This I agree with. Do a film trilogy/series in the Chiss Ascendancy or the Hutt's/Smuggler syndicates that don't reference desert planets.  Less Jedi/Sith and pew pew world destroying weapon stuff to finally move away from a story that has had all the juice removed from it.