Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte now airing

NOTW

On 1/5/2024 at 2:38 PM, iladelphxx said:

goodfellas-henry-hill.gif

Apparently she said that quote 8 years ago about a movie dealing with violence and murder of  women in Pakistan, and people are taking it out of context for click bait.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/01/06/star-wars-directors-make-men-uncomfortable-quote-is-eight-years-out-of-context/amp/

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Apparently she said that quote 8 years ago about a movie dealing with violence and murder of  women in Pakistan, and people are taking it out of context for click bait.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/01/06/star-wars-directors-make-men-uncomfortable-quote-is-eight-years-out-of-context/amp/

It's her whole identity 

A woman has been running the whole Fing show for a decade now.... 

The quote was deliberately made viral, but that aside, you can sarcastically opine that she was only appointed by Lucasfilm for being a Female Pakistani Activist and ticking another "first" box for Kathleen Kennedy's ego, over any real career relevancy.  It would be like me hosting the Golden Globes because I've been to the same town as Ricky Gervais and told a joke there.

Career wise, her work history doesn't initially scream of having the experience or gravitas to direct a blockbuster film, let alone a reset of a much loved but abused franchise. The overt activism only raises further concern about what the end product will be - partly be due to the lack of good writing culture in Disney- but also those types of activists can't leave their views at the door.

What Star Wars needs is a modern day Spielberg to provide a hard reset ; they appointed an inexperienced activist that is well balanced because she has massive chips on both shoulders. 

i  could be wrong and Rey Palpatine's movie makes billions, but I doubt it. Star Wars is done as a franchise.

10 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

It's her whole identity 

A woman has been running the whole Fing show for a decade now.... 

I just pointed out that the particular quote currently going viral is out of context and not about Star Wars.

There's also nothing inherently wrong with - gasp! - a woman directing a Star Wars show or movie.  Bryce Dallas Howard directed episodes of The Mandalorian.  The woman running "the whole Fing show" has also put out Andor, Rogue One and The Mandalorian which are all well liked by fans and not seen as "woke" or forced diversity.

This director may have an agenda, and we know the cast of the Acolyte were talking about doing something different than "the patriarchy" of Star Wars.  There has been forced diversity in some of the content.  But I also think it's not helpful to run with out of context quotes and looking for the "woke" thing everywhere.  Diversity is a good thing, and sci-fi should represent different people (and aliens and creatures).  There are certain ones that are more obviously forced (Holdo in The Last Jedi IMO was the worse example).

4 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

The quote was deliberately made viral, but that aside, you can sarcastically opine that she was only appointed by Lucasfilm for being a Female Pakistani Activist and ticking another "first" box for Kathleen Kennedy's ego, over any real career relevancy.  It would be like me hosting the Golden Globes because I've been to the same town as Ricky Gervais and told a joke there.

Career wise, her work history doesn't initially scream of having the experience or gravitas to direct a blockbuster film, let alone a reset of a much loved but abused franchise. The overt activism only raises further concern about what the end product will be - partly be due to the lack of good writing culture in Disney- but also those types of activists can't leave their views at the door.

What Star Wars needs is a modern day Spielberg to provide a hard reset ; they appointed an inexperienced activist that is well balanced because she has massive chips on both shoulders. 

i  could be wrong and Rey Palpatine's movie makes billions, but I doubt it. Star Wars is done as a franchise.

They are putting the "woke" (for lack of a better phrase) agenda into some content, and not so much in others.  The newer SW content has diverse casts and some of them are accused of forced diversity or woke ideas while others are not.  I think KK is looking for opportunities to insert it, while Filoni and Favreau are more interested in story and being true to SW history.  So there's probably a back and forth with them about what direction to go.  

As for the comment about her career not being suited for a blockbuster movie, that actually happens with a lot of directors that are given a chance.  Ryan Coogler had only done short films and an indie character driven movie (Fruitvale Station) before being handed Black Panther.  Marc Webb had only directed music videos and a couple TV episodes before being given a Marvel movie (pre-MCU) The Amazing Spider-Man.  Jon Watts directed the MCU's first solo movie with their new Spider-Man in Homecoming.  His 2 prior movies before that:  Clown and Cop Car (I've never even heard of them).

Even in Star Wars history, Irvin Kershner directed the best film in the series (Empire) and prior to that did a handful of smaller movies most people have never heard of.  Then Return of the Jedi was directed by Richard Marquand.  Can you name a single other movie he directed without looking it up?  

Having said that, having a woman who has a man-hating agenda is bad for any movie.  But let's not use out of context quotes and double standards about prior career qualifications, it takes away from the argument.

how about we get a good movie without the pre-ordained "it's man's fault if the movie flops" BS ? 

also, if we get another "ewok" type of character in another movie and/or series, i am done. 

FWIW - im re-watching the saga. I am on episode 11 season 7 of the clone wars and ..... damn did ahsoka F up not informing the council about what maul told her in regards to anikan. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

They are putting the "woke" (for lack of a better phrase) agenda into some content, and not so much in others.  The newer SW content has diverse casts and some of them are accused of forced diversity or woke ideas while others are not.  I think KK is looking for opportunities to insert it, while Filoni and Favreau are more interested in story and being true to SW history.  So there's probably a back and forth with them about what direction to go.  

As for the comment about her career not being suited for a blockbuster movie, that actually happens with a lot of directors that are given a chance.  Ryan Coogler had only done short films and an indie character driven movie (Fruitvale Station) before being handed Black Panther.  Marc Webb had only directed music videos and a couple TV episodes before being given a Marvel movie (pre-MCU) The Amazing Spider-Man.  Jon Watts directed the MCU's first solo movie with their new Spider-Man in Homecoming.  His 2 prior movies before that:  Clown and Cop Car (I've never even heard of them).

Even in Star Wars history, Irvin Kershner directed the best film in the series (Empire) and prior to that did a handful of smaller movies most people have never heard of.  Then Return of the Jedi was directed by Richard Marquand.  Can you name a single other movie he directed without looking it up?  

Having said that, having a woman who has a man-hating agenda is bad for any movie.  But let's not use out of context quotes and double standards about prior career qualifications, it takes away from the argument.

That's fair, but Disney as a company now are vastly less competent than they were before.  The MCU had a plan, of sorts, Lucasfilm absolutely do not, while KK seems absolutely focused on inserting agendas into her projects.  The Force is Female...

I don't see Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy having the nuance as a Director to not take KK's focus and take it to the nth degree.  As I say, they need an experienced Director not an inexperienced activist who can be leant on from above. That won't work now as it may have done 5 or 6 years ago.

23 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

That's fair, but Disney as a company now are vastly less competent than they were before.  The MCU had a plan, of sorts, Lucasfilm absolutely do not, while KK seems absolutely focused on inserting agendas into her projects.  The Force is Female...

I don't see Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy having the nuance as a Director to not take KK's focus and take it to the nth degree.  As I say, they need an experienced Director not an inexperienced activist who can be leant on from above. That won't work now as it may have done 5 or 6 years ago.

So I'm not sure but the new film with Rey is a solo standalone movie, or a new trilogy?  If it's one movie, the silver lining is that if it's no good and doesn't make money, they can end her story and focus on something else.

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Coogler directed Creed before Black Panther. And Spielberg was supposed to direct ROTJ, but the DGA had a fit because Lucas wouldn’t put the director’s name at the beginning pre-title. So Marquand got the gig because he wasn’t a DGA member. 

31 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Coogler directed Creed before Black Panther. And Spielberg was supposed to direct ROTJ, but the DGA had a fit because Lucas wouldn’t put the director’s name at the beginning pre-title. So Marquand got the gig because he wasn’t a DGA member. 

That's true I forgot about Creed. 

Nevertheless, there were other examples I gave and there are more where someone with a small resume is given a blockbuster. The Russo Brothers before Captain America The Winter Soldier did TV shows and the comedy "You, Me & Dupree."

Taika Waititi What We Do in the Shadows and some foreign indie films before Thor Ragnarok. Colin Treverow was given Jurassic World after indie movie Safety Not Guaranteed. The list goes on.

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

So I'm not sure but the new film with Rey is a solo standalone movie, or a new trilogy?  If it's one movie, the silver lining is that if it's no good and doesn't make money, they can end her story and focus on something else.

I suspect it's a solo movie with a view to making more films.

Lucasfilm were constantly giving out films/projects to all sorts at one point, Feige, the idiots from GoT had a trilogy, Riain Johnson was doing a trilogy after being fired for film 2. I suspect it concurs with the whole lack of plan for Star Wars that has been pretty evident through recent projects. 

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

That's true I forgot about Creed. 

Nevertheless, there were other examples I gave and there are more where someone with a small resume is given a blockbuster. The Russo Brothers before Captain America The Winter Soldier did TV shows and the comedy "You, Me & Dupree."

Taika Waititi What We Do in the Shadows and some foreign indie films before Thor Ragnarok. Colin Treverow was given Jurassic World after indie movie Safety Not Guaranteed. The list goes on.

All of those were inserted into a wider plan/arc, so they had a specific goal, oversight and writing plan to deliver against. 

Star Wars has had no plan post ROTJ - they didn't know Rey's partners were, etc. Putting an inexperienced activist into that sort of environment rarely works out, no matter how good their intentions may be.Even Creed was sat firmly in a timeline and had Stallone guiding.

3 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

All of those were inserted into a wider plan/arc, so they had a specific goal, oversight and writing plan to deliver against. 

Star Wars has had no plan post ROTJ - they didn't know Rey's partners were, etc. Putting an inexperienced activist into that sort of environment rarely works out, no matter how good their intentions may be.Even Creed was sat firmly in a timeline and had Stallone guiding.

So the goal posts are moving now.  Hollywood big budget blockbusters are almost always some established content whether sequels, prequels, reboots or adaptations of books or TV shows.  So you can't dismiss hiring an indie director for Star Wars by saying these other examples were for a "wider plan/arc."  It's well known that Hollywood has hired indie directors of small films to direct blockbuster big budget movies over the years so there's really no argument against doing it for a Star Wars movie.  Lucas himself had only done a small indie fim before starting the SW franchise. 

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/12-indie-directors-who-jumped-to-blockbuster-budgets-87743/

https://www.looper.com/1265428/directors-who-made-classic-indie-then-directed-blockbuster-for-their-next-movie/

But it isn't true about a Rey movie either, it's literally a sequel to the trilogy where she was the lead and they have the same consistent producers and head of the company.  They've said it will be about her rebuilding the Jedi order. I think you're just changing arguments because you don't like the recent movies or this director and I agree with that but the reasoning doesn't hold up.  If you want to argue you don't like THIS director, or you don't like Kathleen Kennedy and don't trust her, or you don't like the recent trilogy and don't care to see a Rey movie all those arguments hold up.  But to dismiss that any director can't do a blockbuster because of their prior resume doesn't hold up.  

I do agree the recent trilogy wasn't planned out well, and it showed.  However, Lucas added things as he went as well.  He didn't plan out ahead of time that Luke and Leia were brother and sister, he made that up when he was writing the ending of ROTJ because he wanted something that would make Luke get angry. It doesn't matter if someone is an established director (Joel Schumacher butchered the Batman movies he made) or an indie film director getting their first shot at a big budget franchise (lots of examples of success there).  What matters is good story and production of the movie.  On that, they failed in the recent trilogy but did great with Rogue One, The Mandalorian and Andor...all under Kathleen Kennedy's watch.  So it's been a mixed bag. 

One potential benefit here is if she takes the Rey movie in a new or fresh direction and breaks away from the traditional Skywalker saga trilogy format.  Star Wars is ripe for a gritty indie style character driven movie the way they did Logan from the X-Men franchise.  

The goal posts aren't moved on my part, just showing the difference between the example you gave and the Rey film, and the lack of upper management and organisational coherence in Lucasfilm - it is KKs fiefdom/plaything.  It's easy to fit someone new/inexperienced into a system when there are guardrails and overall forward plans where they have a defined start and end point.  It's far and away different from what Lucasfilm are right now -  a company that has struggled to make a profit on films and seems focused on feminism/female empowerment vs overall story quality.  Why limit your audience like that as a non-Govt company? 

They don't seem to have a vision for Star Wars (other than Ashoka and Anakin), recent outings have been mid to poor quality.  You can argue a Jon Favreau given autonomy and no oversight could produce something that could still have Rey as lead, but make her a more nuanced and imperfect character.  People, I think, would want to see that.

The audience at this moment don't trust Disney as a brand or Lucasfilm as a sub-brand.  We lived through crap like Obi Wan, Falcon and Winter Solider, etc.

• 2 weeks later...