EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

@RememberTheKoy how much did you bet and at what odds for Hurts winning MVP before the season started?

Hurts was around 25-1/30-1 preseason for MVP so I'm assuming around there. 

I saw something mildly noteworthy last night. The Eagles put out a short video detailing their trip to the Meadowlands this past weekend. During the video, there was a clip of Covey holding for one of Elliott's kicks. I think it was one of his field goals, although I'm not certain. When the ball was snapped to him, the laces ended up being ninety degrees off from where it should ideally be. The laces were pointed toward Covey's body. But rather than attempt to spin the ball, he simply placed it on the ground as is, and Elliott had to kick the ball like that. It ended up not being a big deal. A skilled kicker can often overcome something like that, although you'd certainly prefer to kick the ball with the laces pointing toward the uprights.

My guess...and this is just conjecture on my part...is that Covey's skill level as a holder is more simplistic than what you'd get from an experienced punter who has held for years. He can field the snap cleanly and put it down quickly to the spot. But spinning it perfectly might just be a little beyond him. I presume Brett Kern has been holding for kicks for fifteen years and will smoothly ease into that role.

Just figured I'd pass it along as it was something that quickly caught my eye while watching.

7 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Yeah, no.  Hold the peanut butter, tuna fish, pickles and rye.  I’ll just take the bacon.

A man of culture I see. Ron Swanson is in awe.

4 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

@RememberTheKoy how much did you bet and at what odds for Hurts winning MVP before the season started?

I got +5000 odds when I placed my bet on 4/3/22.

image.png.3a6908721c5ddf6b4e56eebb8e9e1949.png

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I got +5000 odds when I placed my bet on 4/3/22.

Hope you placed a fat wager

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Sometimes you get hungry and want something during the game.  Of all the stadiums I've been to, the Linc has the worst options. 

I've been going to Eagles games for fifty years. Not once have I ever even considered getting up from my seat to walk to the concourse to look for snacking items. I'm sure as hell not going to miss watching game action for something as trivial as that.

17 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

What memorable games have you been to?

1. TO first game back with Cowboys in Philly (Lito int ret TD game)

2. Lions/Eagles snow game

3. Eagles/Saints divisional last second FG loss

4. Eagles @ Cowboys ass-whooping the year we won the SB

5. Eagles @ Cowboys Wentz rookie year where Witten was wide open for OT TD

6. Eagles lose to Seahawks 42-0 with Mike McMahon at QB. Talked myself into a heroic playoff run which ended that tragic night. Never seen a stadium so empty towards the end of the 3rd quarter

I was there for 1 and 6. I stayed til the end figuring I was already there, and no sense rushing into traffic. 

My only road game is the MNF game in Dallas in 2004, the 14 second scramble game. Also was at the game against Dallas in 99 when Irvin’s career ended. 99 was actually the first year I was a season ticket holder, so any memorable game between 99-2005, I was there. After 05, I only went to a few games a year until I gave up my season tickets after 2011. My final game was a 34-7 stomping of Dallas on SNF. 

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I saw something mildly noteworthy last night. The Eagles put out a short video detailing their trip to the Meadowlands this past weekend. During the video, there was a clip of Covey holding for one of Elliott's kicks. I think it was one of his field goals, although I'm not certain. When the ball was snapped to him, the laces ended up being ninety degrees off from where it should ideally be. The laces were pointed toward Covey's body. But rather than attempt to spin the ball, he simply placed it on the ground as is, and Elliott had to kick the ball like that. It ended up not being a big deal. A skilled kicker can often overcome something like that, although you'd certainly prefer to kick the ball with the laces pointing toward the uprights.

My guess...and this is just conjecture on my part...is that Covey's skill level as a holder is more simplistic than what you'd get from an experienced punter who has held for years. He can field the snap cleanly and put it down quickly to the spot. But spinning it perfectly might just be a little beyond him. I presume Brett Kern has been holding for kicks for fifteen years and will smoothly ease into that role.

Just figured I'd pass it along as it was something that quickly caught my eye while watching.

His hold on the field goal ended up with the laces pointed away from Covey but not away from Elliott.  Maybe part of it was the weather but and Covey not wanting to botch it but I tend to agree with you.  A more experienced holder gets the laces pointed away or mostly away almost all of the time.  

3 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I've been going to Eagles games for fifty years. Not once have I ever even considered getting up from my seat to walk to the concourse to look for snacking items. I'm sure as hell not going to miss watching game action for something as trivial as that.

This sounds like a good debate for the blog🤔 what if any snack/ food item is worth getting up to get and missing some of the game action?

57 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm sorry you take so much offense to the idea that people get food at football games.  I had not though beforehand how traumatizing talking about that would be for you.  I apologize. 

However, given the huge lines at all of the food stands throughout the Linc it seems like many other grab food from time to time during the game. 

People getting up to get food and drinks during a football game is annoying to the fans in the stands who actually care about watching the game. They're forced to constantly get up and down to let those people get past them...and then twenty minutes later make the return trip. 

12 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I am bored so decided to look back the last 20 years to see how significant getting the #1 seed is to a Super Bowl Championship.

Of the last 20 years:

*20 out of 40 teams to play in the SB were #1 seeds

*7 out of 20 SB Winners were #1 seeds, next closest is #2 seeds with 5 wins

*Last #1 seed to win the SB was the 2017 Eagles

*The cursed seed is the #3 seed. Of the last 20 years only 2 teams with the #3 seed played in the SB (tied lowest) with only 1 #3 seed winning it all (lowest out of any seed not including 7th)

#analysis

Ok but how many of those teams played in a dome/retractable roof?

13 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Someone asked Elliott after the game if all of Coveys holds were laces out, and his answer was something like "well they all weren't directly facing me". 

Also, I'm pretty sure Kern has been holding the majority of his career. Punt Twitter has said he is exceptional. 

4 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

People getting up to get food and drinks during a football game is annoying to the fans in the stands who actually care about watching the game. They're forced to constantly get up and down to let those people get past them...and then twenty minutes later make the return trip. 

It has to be timed right. Common courtesy would be to get up during a timeout, end of drive, quarter end, half etc. Odds are by the time they get back, play will probably be resuming but getting concessions is a part of the game for a lot of people. Especially beers/drinks. 

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

It’s one of the things I don’t miss as a season ticket holder. People coming up the steps late and blocking the view. People in and out for food. No one can stand to watch a punt, so 4th down is a common time to get up and leave. I can honestly say I don’t miss it. 

22 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Only game I've been to was at SF and Mike Patterson scooped up a fumble and rumbled his fat ass for a TD.

My friend a lifelong niner fan had season tickets and took me, we rode a fan bus, I got so many Boos on the way to the game, way home quietest most peaceful ride through SF in my life😊

Road games can be an awesome experience. I've probably been to twenty Eagles games in my life in visiting stadiums. Not counting the Giants and Redskins where I've experienced some losses, I've been to Houston, Carolina, Cleveland x2, Kansas City, L.A.Chargers, Detroit, New Orleans, and Baltimore. With the exception of a tie against the Ravens in Bobby Hoying's first start, every single one of those trips ended up victorious. It is so much fun to watch all the fans of the home team walk away dejected. That Chargers game in '17 was probably the best since it was 70% Eagles fans to start with and the seats were so close to the field.

I highly recommend going to away games...when your team is good.

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

Oh, yeah. I would be happy with it, but I'd prefer Anderson. That's all.

The difference between Murphy and Anderson in that mock is Draft position.

I think our next stadium should be fully submerged in the ocean with windows so the fans can see fish and sharks swimming around during the game.  That would be so cool! 

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s one of the things I don’t miss as a season ticket holder. People coming up the steps late and blocking the view. People in and out for food. No one can stand to watch a punt, so 4th down is a common time to get up and leave. I can honestly say I don’t miss it. 

The overall live sporting experience has gone down over the years between cost increases and the convenience of watching the game at home. I still think hockey is the best live sport to go to and you can get good seats for relatively cheap since it's not as popular. Nothing beats an Eagles playoff game live, but it would be tough to sell me on a regular season game against Washington. 

18 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

In all those fifty years attending games you've never realized there is a half time.  That's wild.  

14 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I hope you sit near me in Eagles games so I can get the satisfaction that I've annoyed and ruined your experience.  Cry more.  

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

In all those fifty years attending games you've never realized there is a half time.  That's wild.  

I never wrote that or even implied that. But halftime is generally for peeing and maybe eating a sandwich I brought to serve as my lunch for the day.

38 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

What memorable games have you been to?

1. TO first game back with Cowboys in Philly (Lito int ret TD game)

2. Lions/Eagles snow game

3. Eagles/Saints divisional last second FG loss

4. Eagles @ Cowboys ass-whooping the year we won the SB

5. Eagles @ Cowboys Wentz rookie year where Witten was wide open for OT TD

6. Eagles lose to Seahawks 42-0 with Mike McMahon at QB. Talked myself into a heroic playoff run which ended that tragic night. Never seen a stadium so empty towards the end of the 3rd quarter

Most of the memorable games I've been to are memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Good games I went to. 

vs Arizona on Thanksgiving night

vs NYG (Dawkins number retirement ceremony that we won because of a missed FG after the kicker missed the first attempt but Andy froze him with a timeout)

vs Bucs in 02 when we smoked them in the regular season

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Road games can be an awesome experience. I've probably been to twenty Eagles games in my life in visiting stadiums. Not counting the Giants and Redskins where I've experienced some losses, I've been to Houston, Carolina, Cleveland x2, Kansas City, L.A.Chargers, Detroit, New Orleans, and Baltimore. With the exception of a tie against the Ravens in Bobby Hoying's first start, every single one of those trips ended up victorious. It is so much fun to watch all the fans of the home team walk away dejected. That Chargers game in '17 was probably the best since it was 70% Eagles fans to start with and the seats were so close to the field.

I highly recommend going to away games...when your team is good.

We had pretty good seats and there was a group of eagles fans all geared up right behind us, next to us and in front of us.

They were loud the whole time and even louder after, I'd never met any of these people but during the game one would have thought we were family😊

My friend was dejected most the game and the ride home...

Great stuff😁

Archived