Connecticut Eagle

25 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Easy on the hate speech. You’ll get reported. Mod6 has enough on his plate 

maybe I should say "go cowboys"

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

I didn’t predict him making the jump he made from last season to this season and I had my issues/concerns, but I was always big on his work ethic and leadership. Never questioned him there. Anyone who followed his college career knew he had the goods in that department. He’s the ultimate teammate and grinder, which is why I was rooting for him to put it together and work out. You don’t find many like him from an intangibles standpoint. 

Yeah, just about everything written and said about him lauded his intangibles and work ethic. I remember saying that I believed Hurts would maximize his potential, but I didn’t believe he was talented enough as a passer or a quick enough processor to be a top-10 quarterback that this franchise would commit to. 

It’s wild how much he’s improved in areas that aren’t easy to improve in — throwing with anticipation, working to backside progressions. 

Sorry but the constant slurping over Hurts intangibles is annoying. Many will say it’s his "greatest attribute”.

It often feels as though people believe he’s the only QB that puts in hard work. To his credit, he’s improved hugely this year, it’s undeniable.

When Josh Allen made his big leap, there wasn’t so much gushing about his "intangibles”. Do you think he didn’t work as hard to improve as Hurts has?

Mahomes didn’t play much his rookie year. I’ve never heard people swooning over his intangibles. Does anybody think he doesn’t work hard? 

Why then is so much attention given to Hurts "intangibles”? Is it because he seemingly goes out of his way (via social media) to "show” how hard he’s working? 

I honestly find it off putting. Celebrate him for his achievements, but stop acting like he works harder than any other QB (and yes I’m aware there are QBs that don’t work hard, and they usually fail)

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I heard it last night but it wasn't anything new really in regards to the Thorson angle. From the moment they drafted Hurts you could connect the dots that they made the move large in part to burning a 4th round pick the year before.

Could make the argument foles success as a high quality backup with wentz having suffered the injuries he did really put the extreme value on them wanting to draft Hurts. So really RTK should be thanking foles even more.  

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk who’s pick it was but I’m guessing regardless lurie had to sign off on them doing it. 

the two parts where i think we are the most fortunate is wentz wanting out as bad as he did and no changing his mind. Cause we got better value then we should’ve gotten with how he’s played since being dealt. Second that jets really wanted Wilson, russ and watson didn’t want to come here. Cause if anyone of those changes we likely are in a different position right now. 

If Zach Wilson was in Philly playing like he has been, he’d be doomed. There would be no coming back from that level of ridicule. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Could make the argument foles success as a high quality backup with wentz having suffered the injuries he did really put the extreme value on them wanting to draft Hurts. So really RTK should be thanking foles even more.  

Maybe, but I'd say it's more of just an organizational philosophy than that specific moment. The team brought in Vick to be backup with all the backlash that brought. Spent a 3rd on Foles to be a backup. Signed Chase Daniel to a high end deal to be a backup. And then dumped Daniel to bring in Foles who was a higher end backup. It's been their MO for awhile now. 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Maybe, but I'd say it's more of just an organizational philosophy than that specific moment. The team brought in Vick to be backup with all the backlash that brought. Spent a 3rd on Foles to be a backup. Signed Chase Daniel to a high end deal to be a backup. And then dumped Daniel to bring in Foles who was a higher end backup. It's been their MO for awhile now. 

Oh i agree. I’ve actually made that same point in the past. It dates back even before vick with Garcia and even before him with aj feeley’s development. I really just wanted to say that so we could get more Foles praise lumped into hurts for RTK 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Garcia was brought in to back up Mcnabb…I think it all started when Reid made AJ feely look good enough for Miami to make a bad trade for him, Lurie has been addicted to backup QBs like a crack addict

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Oh i agree. I’ve actually made that same point in the past. It dates back even before vick with Garcia and even before him with aj feeley’s development. I really just wanted to say that so we could get more Foles praise lumped into hurts so RTK 

image.gif.718bd6499a3b043664669f41d9fb6b0c.gif

51 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Sorry but the constant slurping over Hurts intangibles is annoying. Many will say it’s his "greatest attribute”.

It often feels as though people believe he’s the only QB that puts in hard work. To his credit, he’s improved hugely this year, it’s undeniable.

When Josh Allen made his big leap, there wasn’t so much gushing about his "intangibles”. Do you think he didn’t work as hard to improve as Hurts has?

Mahomes didn’t play much his rookie year. I’ve never heard people swooning over his intangibles. Does anybody think he doesn’t work hard? 

Why then is so much attention given to Hurts "intangibles”? Is it because he seemingly goes out of his way (via social media) to "show” how hard he’s working? 

I honestly find it off putting. Celebrate him for his achievements, but stop acting like he works harder than any other QB (and yes I’m aware there are QBs that don’t work hard, and they usually fail)

We’re talking about a guy who went from being benched at Alabama because he couldn’t complete passes, a guy a bunch of people on this board called a running back, a guy called out by a Bucs assistant for not being able to read coverage to an MVP candidate. 

We’re not making up the work ethic/intangibles narrative out of nowhere. It’s well-documented, and it was prior to his arrival in Philly. That doesn’t mean he’s the hardest worker of all-time or whatever other hyperbole you want to attach to the discussion. But you can’t make the leap he made with his talent level without being an incredibly hard worker by NFL standards. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

We’re taking about a guy who went from being benched at Alabama because he couldn’t complete passes, l a guy a bunch of people on this board called a running back, a guy called out by a Bucs assistant for not being able to read coverage to an MVP candidate. 

We’re not making up the work ethic/intangibles narrative out of nowhere. It’s well-documented, and it was prior to his arrival in Philly. That doesn’t mean he’s the hardest worker of all-time or whatever other hyperbole you want to attach to the discussion. But you can’t make the leap he made with his talent level without being an incredibly hard worker by NFL standards. 

I call it the Maxey effect.

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We’re taking about a guy who went from being benched at Alabama because he couldn’t complete passes, l a guy a bunch of people on this board called a running back, a guy called out by a Bucs assistant for not being able to read coverage to an MVP candidate. 

Someone can parse this out if they are obsessed enough.

My opinion is that Hurts has not developed as a quick processor so much as Sirianni has developed an offense around him to make it easy to get the ball out somewhere, and Roseman has put an offense around him to ensure those guys will pretty much always be open.

We see games like the Arizona game where Hurts is protected by a disgusting horizontal passing game. And we still see far too many plays with him bailing early, and looking at the ground as he runs rather than looking to make a play down the field. Or running from a mildly threatened pocket in to more actual pressure. His instincts still show to be lacking, often.

His weaknesses improved marginally. The offense around him has developed dramatically both in scheme, and personnel. 

When you see Hurts going through progressions, he has time. Like any QB should be able to.

To become an elite passer, Hurts needs to start beating the blitz with his head and arm. Or even if he scrambles, he needs to be able to find room to re-set and make a pass from a different spot. Hes really not doing any of that yet.

Siri and Roseman have set the game on Easy mode for him. 

Parsons is right. He is a system QB. 

If you take any one part of this system away, he crumbles. Just like Dak.

Doesnt mean he hasnt played his role at a potential MVP winning level. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We also have the best o line in the league, which has generated a top running game letting Sanders flourish as long as he stays healthy.

We have a top WR in AJ Brown, we have arguably the best #2 WR in Smith, a top 5 TE in Goedert.

Hurts ascending to MVP status isn’t just because he’s an incredibly hard worker, yet, when he’s discussed, that’s the thing most people cling to. 

All of his hard work wouldn’t produce the same results if he was swapped with Mahomes this year, nor with Josh Allen. Both those guys would be putting up MVP level numbers here with this group. And both of those guys probably work just as hard, but don’t shove it in our faces the same way

9 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Someone can parse this out if they are obsessed enough.

My opinion is that Hurts has not developed as a quick processor so much as Sirianni has developed an offense around him to make it easy to get the ball out somewhere, and Roseman has put an offense around him to ensure those guys will pretty much always be open.

We see games like the Arizona game where Hurts is protected by a disgusting horizontal passing game. And we still see far too many plays with him bailing early, and looking at the ground as he runs rather than looking to make a play down the field. 

His weaknesses improved marginally. The offense around him has developed dramatically both in scheme, and personnel. 

When you see Hurts going through progressions, he has time. Like any QB should be able to.

To become an elite passer, Hurts needs to start beating the blitz with his head and arm. Or even if he scrambles, he needs to be able to find room to re-set and make a pass from a different spot. Hes really not doing any of that yet.

Siri and Roseman have set the game on Easy mode for him. 

I wouldn’t call him a quick processor like a Dak, who can routinely get to third and fourth reads and get to the backside of a play. But, I do think Hurts has sped up his reads and is more decisive, and he doesn’t get credit for when he sees it and takes off running. The Lions game is a good example. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

I wouldn’t call him a quick processor like a Dak, who can routinely get to Thor sand fourth reads and get to the backside of a play. But, I do think Hurts has sped up his reads and is more decisive, and he doesn’t get credit for when he sees it and takes off running. The Lions game is a good example. 

I think he has improved.

I dont think its nearly as much as the illusion presents to the casual fan. 

36 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I heard it last night but it wasn't anything new really in regards to the Thorson angle. From the moment they drafted Hurts you could connect the dots that they made the move large in part to burning a 4th round pick the year before.

The other thing that happened is that Wentz got hurt again in the playoff game.  There were also lots of reports of the problems with Wentz that started cropping up in the news.  

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

We also have the best o line in the league, which has generated a top running game letting Sanders flourish as long as he stays healthy.

We have a top WR in AJ Brown, we have arguably the best #2 WR in Smith, a top 5 TE in Goedert.

Hurts ascending to MVP status isn’t just because he’s an incredibly hard worker, yet, when he’s discussed, that’s the thing most people cling to. 

All of his hard work wouldn’t produce the same results if he was swapped with Mahomes this year, nor with Josh Allen. Both those guys would be putting up MVP level numbers here with this group. And both of those guys probably work just as hard, but don’t shove it in our faces the same way

No one is saying his hard work and intangibles are the only reason he’s having an MVP season. Of course he is in a great environment with a terrific supporting cast. I don’t believe he’s as good as Allen or Mahomes either. Maybe they work just as hard as Hurts, but I know their margin for error is a lot bigger than Hurts, because he doesn’t have their elite physical tools.

I truly don’t get the pushback here. 

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think he has improved.

There are plenty of analysts who say otherwise 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

This and this.

No one should diminish the progress that Hurts has made; it speaks to the hard work he has put in.  Even at Oklahoma he didn't resemble the guy who was a freshman at Alabama who couldn't pass to save his life.  Hurts takes coaching well and has improved at each level.

But ....... let's not pretend his success is not in large part due to the best OL in football, three premium targets in Goedert, Smith, and AJ Brown, and a RB in a contract year who is on pace for 1,300+ yards.  Most of us thought in 2017 that Wentz was the greatest thing since sliced bread, too -- one season does not make a career.

Lamar Jackson won the NFL MVP a few years ago and has regressed ever since.  Hopefully the Eagles can win the ultimate prize in a year where everything is lining up for them.  

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think he has improved.

My sense is that he has very few plays that are truly 5 reads.  It seems like he makes 1 or 2 and goes to a checkdown/run throw more than he reads 3 to 4 routes.  There is improvement in recognizing his best read based on the coverage. So he is making decisions based on what he sees approaching the LOS.    

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

My sense is that he has very few plays that are truly 5 reads.  It seems like he makes 1 or 2 and goes to a checkdown/run throw more than he reads 3 to 4 routes.  There is improvement in recognizing his best read based on the coverage. So he is making decisions based on what he sees approaching the LOS.    

Teams will have plays that split the field to attack man on one side or zone on another - so based on a good pre snap read you might only need to track 2 receivers. Other plays use receivers to run off coverage, so the QB isn’t really reading every option. Hurts has been pretty decisive with the ball where our guys are winning their routes or he’s fine taking off/throwing it away. 

1 minute ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Teams will have plays that split the field to attack man on one side or zone on another - so based on a good pre snap read you might only need to track 2 receivers. Other plays use receivers to run off coverage, so the QB isn’t really reading every option. Hurts has been pretty decisive with the ball where our guys are winning their routes or he’s fine taking off/throwing it away. 

Yep. 

Archived