EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

17 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

This and this.

No one should diminish the progress that Hurts has made; it speaks to the hard work he has put in.  Even at Oklahoma he didn't resemble the guy who was a freshman at Alabama who couldn't pass to save his life.  Hurts takes coaching well and has improved at each level.

But ....... let's not pretend his success is not in large part due to the best OL in football, three premium targets in Goedert, Smith, and AJ Brown, and a RB in a contract year who is on pace for 1,300+ yards.  Most of us thought in 2017 that Wentz was the greatest thing since sliced bread, too -- one season does not make a career.

Lamar Jackson won the NFL MVP a few years ago and has regressed ever since.  Hopefully the Eagles can win the ultimate prize in a year where everything is lining up for them.  

Agree that it is the system that has caused Hurts to have the season he is having now, but the reason why the system works is because of who they have running it in him. This isn't the same offense if you just plug Minshew or anyone else in there. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are probably the only other quarterbacks that would work in a system like this, so that's a testament to Hurts' skillset.

People have been having this argument about system QBs for years. Almost every quarterback is a "system" quarterback. Joe Montana with the WCO, Favre with Holmgren, Mahomes with Andy's system, Brady in New England, Manning with Tom Moore, etc. You design the system around your quarterback's strengths. That's what goes into being a good coach. Also, Josh Allen didn't take the next step until they paired him with Diggs, so if you're going to have elite QB play, you have to pair him with elite targets and I don't think that should be a knock on Hurts. Go through the history of great quarterbacks and almost all of them had a top target on the other end catching their passes. Peyton Manning had two in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and no one knocks him for that. Brady benefited from elite offensive line and defensive play almost his entire career. His offensive line has been destroyed this year and you're seeing the repercussions from it. Rodgers lost Adams this year and you saw what happened in GB. So yeah, no crap that Hurts wouldn't be as good as he's been without AJ or DeVonta. 

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

My sense is that he has very few plays that are truly 5 reads.  It seems like he makes 1 or 2 and goes to a checkdown/run throw more than he reads 3 to 4 routes.  There is improvement in recognizing his best read based on the coverage. So he is making decisions based on what he sees approaching the LOS.    

A lot of it is just presnap too. QBs can eliminate a read or two based on alignment much of the time. 

1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Agree that it is the system that has caused Hurts to have the season he is having now, but the reason why the system works is because of who they have running it in him. Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are probably the only other quarterbacks that would work in a system like this, so that's a testament to Hurts' skillset.

People have been having this argument about system QBs for years. Almost every quarterback is a "system" quarterback. Joe Montana with the WCO, Favre with Holmgren, Mahomes with Andy's system, Brady in New England, Manning with Tom Moore, etc. You design the system around your quarterback's strengths. That's what goes into being a good coach. Also, Josh Allen didn't take the next step until they paired him with Diggs, so if you're going to have elite QB play, you have to pair him with elite targets and I don't think that should be a knock on Hurts. Go through the history of great quarterbacks and almost all of them had a top target on the other end catching their passes. Peyton Manning had two in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and no one knocks him for that. Brady benefited from elite offensive line and defensive play almost his entire career. His offensive line has been destroyed this year and you're seeing the repercussions from it. 

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a system QB.  Ask Russell Wilson how it's going without Pete Carroll and John Schneider.  Deshaun Watson will likely never see the success he had in HOU, either.

The Eagles have the pieces in place to be a top offense for at least the next 3 years -- AJ Brown, Smith, Goedert, Mailata, Dickerson are all locked in for that time.  They'll have decisions to make on Sanders, Seumalo, Lane (might still be here), and Hurts of course -- but the pieces are there on offense.  Hopefully Jurgens can be a solid successor to Kelce.

With a hard salary cap there will be tough decisions to be made.  A lot of money spent on offense likely means there will be some defense-heavy drafts for a few years.  Hopefully we get some guys who can step in.

19 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

My sense is that he has very few plays that are truly 5 reads.  It seems like he makes 1 or 2 and goes to a checkdown/run throw more than he reads 3 to 4 routes.  There is improvement in recognizing his best read based on the coverage. So he is making decisions based on what he sees approaching the LOS.    

I think his reading has improved. Pre-snap, and quick recognition after the snap. 

And his passing vision and decision making has improved too. There are numerous plays in ever game last where you could point to and say- he had this guy open for a TD.... This year, we have rarely said that. Hes seeing the plays to be made for the most part.

What he is still struggling with is staying composed when he knows a blitz is coming. Or not even a blitz. But seeing 1 OL getting pushed back a little bit. When he leaves a solid pocket and makes a play more difficult because he wouldnt stand in an extra half second, or move just a bit and deliver from a different point. 

He clearly has some sort of mechanical issue that makes a lot of his short passes nose dive. 

He inexplicably is a poor passer on the move when mobility has always been the best (and sometimes only redeeming) part of his game. 

His accuracy on deep balls has been juuuuust good enough, but has been tempting fate often. Whether that fate be an INT or a trip to the hospital for his WRs... Or a fumble caused by his placement of the ball on what could have otherwise been a game winning play.     This deep ball accuracy represents an major improvement for him, but still a major area of weakness. He needs to learn to change trajectory at times (though maybe he cant because of his arm strength issue). 

Sanders is having a helluva year, but let’s be honest, he’s probably got the easiest job of anyone. He benefits not only from an elite OL but a quarterback who takes away a defender. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Sanders is having a helluva year, but let’s be honest, he’s probably got the easiest job of anyone. He benefits not only from an elite OL but a quarterback who takes away a defender. 

I feel this is why a lot of people don’t think they extend him and go cheaper alternative in replacing him next year. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

That's why when I saw that McShay had them taking Bijan Robinson at potentially #5 I laughed. Zero chance they spend anything more than a third rounder on a running back given the track record of other teams finding guys later on. Out of respect to Sanders, it's not just plug and play with this offensive line as he's significantly better than Gainwell and Scott, but at the same time there's no reason to invest significant cap space or draft picks into a running back. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I feel this is why a lot of people don’t think they extend him and go cheaper alternative in replacing him next year. 

I think Charbonnet would fit really well if he's there as a late 2nd round pick.

@ManuManu my issue is that whenever the success of the eagles this year is brought up, it’s pounded over and over that it’s mostly due to Hurts improvement which has come because he’s a hard worker. RTK just posted that story a few pages ago that Hurts is "living” in the Novacare because he works so hard. Then you have pages of the Blog gushing over it soon after. 

Josh Allen obviously has a better arm. But he had a huge deficiency in accuracy and decision making coming into the league. When he made his huge leap, heaps of praise was given to him and Daboll. So much do that Daboll was a very hot coaching commodity.

With Hurts, you never really hear about Brian Johnson, who is probably most responsible for the improvement. Sirianni too and of course Steichen. And I think the entire offense is under appreciated as odd as that may seem. It just gets a bit nauseating hearing about Hurts work ethic, or having him highlight it so often in his social media.

We've got a QB playing at an MVP level and we're complaining that we have to hear about his work ethic.  :roll:

Players are supposed to play well within the system that they're in.  That's the entire Fing point.  The only time you should be complaining about anyone being a system player is if they're not in the right system.  Which clearly doesn't seem to be a problem for us at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

@ManuManu my issue is that whenever the success of the eagles this year is brought up, it’s pounded over and over that it’s mostly due to Hurts improvement which has come because he’s a hard worker. RTK just posted that story a few pages ago that Hurts is "living” in the Novacare because he works so hard. Then you have pages of the Blog gushing over it soon after. 

Josh Allen obviously has a better arm. But he had a huge deficiency in accuracy and decision making coming into the league. When he made his huge leap, heaps of praise was given to him and Daboll. So much do that Daboll was a very hot coaching commodity.

With Hurts, you never really hear about Brian Johnson, who is probably most responsible for the improvement. Sirianni too and of course Steichen. And I think the entire offense is under appreciated as odd as that may seem. It just gets a bit nauseating hearing about Hurts work ethic, or having him highlight it so often in his social media.

Of course everyone has a hand in it and the QB gets much of the credit. This is nothing new. 

That said…

Sirianni is getting COTY buzz, and Steichen (like Daboll with Allen) is getting HC buzz, as Gannon has again. 

Howie is getting his flowers, AJ Brown got a bunch of pub for getting the Titans’ GM fired. Stoutland is one of the most talked about position coaches in the league. 

I’ll go Hurts-AJ-Coaching Staff as the hierarchy for why Hurts has improved. Not being pigeonholed to the right side of the field is huge, but not having to give up on plays because your receivers are getting the job done (and obviously) can’t be underestimated. 

5 hours ago, mattwill said:

7.  The 1960 NFLChampionship game against the Packers

8.  The 1991 Eagles @ Cowboys game where Reggie and Co sacked Aikman eleven times and won 24-0

My Dad took my brothers and I to that Cowboys game.  One of the best days.  We were in the nosebleed with all the other Eagles fans.  Complete domination.  Great game!

Another favorite game I attended was the Giants at Eagles 4 and 1 in the 4th quarter LeSean Mccoy scampers for a 50 yd TD after Vick barely got it off.  I remember my Dad jumping up and down as a kid as McCoy ran for the TD.

8 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

My Dad took my brothers and I to that Cowboys game.  One of the best days.  We were in the nosebleed with all the other Eagles fans.  Complete domination.  Great game!

Another favorite game I attended was the Giants at Eagles 4 and 1 in the 4th quarter LeSean Mccoy scampers for a 50 yd TD after Vick barely got it off.  I remember my Dad jumping up and down as a kid as McCoy ran for the TD.

Parsons’ comments aren’t completely inaccurate. Hurts is benefiting greatly from the job the coaches are doing and the talent around him. No QB has it easier right now. It won’t always be that way. Teams will catch up and we’ll see more layers of Hurts revealed, unless our coaches really are that brilliant. 

Either way, Hurts deserves the MVP right now. He’s made the plays.

3 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Parsons’ comments aren’t completely inaccurate. Hurts is benefiting greatly from the job the coaches are doing and the talent around him. No QB has it easier right now. It won’t always be that way. Teams will catch up and we’ll see more layers of Hurts revealed, unless our coaches really are that brilliant. 

Either way, Hurts deserves the MVP right now. He’s made the plays.

There’s always going to be a yin and yang with a QB and the environment. Only the very elite can elevate a team despite the bad environment. I don’t think Hurts is in that category, but his skill set also opens up a lot of cool stuff for Stoutland and the coaching staff. It’s not just a one-way street. 

Archived