Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

This! Like I’ve said they are going to be fine for the regular season. There’s enough bad teams and mediocre teams that they’re gonna take advantage of and win a lot of games. When you get to the postseason, you are gonna run into potentially the same problem you had games three through game seven of the NLCS. Where if you’re not hitting home runs and you can’t do the things like hit well enough with runners in scoring position it’s going to catch up to you. Their biggest flaw right now is that their outfield is not good enough or consistent. Brandon marsh is about the most consistent and they don’t play him regularly against left-handed pitching. They need to go out and make a big move. 

• Like 1

Good news gallen isn’t coming off IL til next week 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting commentary about the Outfielders in the National League leading up to the All Star selections.

Outfield: Umm ...

OK, this is a little awkward. When I ran through the NL outfielder stats, only one player stood out, and he is a huge surprise: Jurickson Profar, who was one of the worst-hitting regulars in baseball last season with the Rockies (and briefly with the Padres). This season, he's hitting over .300 and leads the NL in OBP. After that, it gets a little murky. Fernando Tatis Jr. gets the second nod; he's been fine, but nothing like his 2019-2021 numbers. I went with Teoscar Hernandez as my third starter. The reserve choices are almost nonexistent.

What's happened to lead to this? Well, Acuña got injured. Betts has moved to the infield. Soto moved to the AL. Harper is long gone from the outfield. Carroll has struggled to get his OPS over .600. Bellinger has been just OK and missed time with an injury. Seiya Suzuki missed a big chunk of time. Michael Harris II hasn't hit much. Castellanos and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. made it last year and both have sub-.300 OBPs this year. I've never seen such a leaguewide lack of stars in the outfield.

Luckily Montgomery stinks this year almost as much as Walker so we have a chance tonight.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Brutal after Bohm. Unless Nick is still hot

Only Ruiz showed up from 2008  team? lame

52 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Only Ruiz showed up from 2008  team? lame

Maybe they really didnt want to watch walker pitch and the Phillies lineup tonight. 

• Thanks 1

That’s probably the game right there with walker being hot garbage and our lineup being asleep

lead in the NL East after tonight might be down to 6 games with Atlanta ahead 4-0 already. Id bet at some point the Braves are gonna catch the Phillies. 

Nice at bat by Turner. Needed that two run bomb. Hopefully Walker doesn’t implode in the top of the 4th. 

feels like it’s been a while since we’ve been in the top 10 

Credit to turnbull keeping them in this game after Walker went 4. Unfortunately the bats besides turner’s homer haven’t done much. Still think he should be starting and let him just go 3-4 innings and piggyback him with Walker or someone else.

Huge missed opportunity there with Bryce up and bases loaded. Guessing the dbacks go some combo of Thompson, Martinez or Sewald for the 8th and 9th inning and they’ve been pretty unhittable all year. 

Terrible baserunning by Harper, the DP -_-

Nice Challenge :rolleyes:

Meaning he sucks and they realize Turnbull is a better option than Walker 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Meaning he sucks and they realize Turnbull is a better option than Walker 

Just listened to his presser and he said he’s worried about his command and leaving balls up in the zone. Walker has been keeping balls high in the zone since his first start. Why now is he saying this and not any start beforehand? Walker has been brutal and now he wants to talk to him about his command? That doesn’t sit right with me. He should’ve said something a long time ago 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoadToHell said:

Just listened to his presser and he said he’s worried about his command and leaving balls up in the zone. Walker has been keeping balls high in the zone since his first start. Why now is he saying this and not any start beforehand? Walker has been brutal and now he wants to talk to him about his command? That doesn’t sit right with me. He should’ve said something a long time ago 

Frankly, the Phillies just need to accept the fact that it is a bad contract. Designate him for assignment or make him the long relief guy when they’re getting blown out. It doesn’t even have to be Turnbull if you have someone in the minors. But at this point, the only reason why walker keeps starting is because they’re paying him $18 million. he is one of the worst starters in the league. 

I just like the point out if we didn’t trade Bailey falter for absolute hot garbage Castro, we’d have a fifth starter and you wouldn’t need Turnbull to be the starter. Falter at least showed in previous year he could be fine as a 5th starter and had value. But we traded for a guy in Castro who sucks as a utility fielder in the majors and has been bad in the minors on top of it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Frankly, the Phillies just need to accept the fact that it is a bad contract. Designate him for assignment or make him the long relief guy when they’re getting blown out. It doesn’t even have to be Turnbull if you have someone in the minors. But at this point, the only reason why walker keeps starting is because they’re paying him $18 million. he is one of the worst starters in the league. 

I just like the point out if we didn’t trade Bailey falter for absolute hot garbage Castro, we’d have a fifth starter and you wouldn’t need Turnbull to be the starter. Falter at least showed in previous year he could be fine as a 5th starter and had value. But we traded for a guy in Castro who sucks as a utility fielder in the majors and has been bad in the minors on top of it. 

Yeah, Walker is garbage and cannot continue to start. I'd take Falter in a heartbeat over Walker. Falter has a 3.74 ERA in 14 starts so far this year.

The idea that they absolutely cannot go back to Turnbull as a starter now because they F'd up and put him in a bullpen role is BS. Give it a shot and see how it works. Can't be worse than Walker who should not be in the majors.

2023 Eagles vibes -_-

• Like 1

The bottom of the line up is complete garbage. Dombroski needs to make a move to improve the outfield. Pache, Dahl and Merrifield are not MLB quality starters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blazehound said:

The bottom of the line up is complete garbage. Dombroski needs to make a move to improve the outfield. Pache, Dahl and Merrifield are not MLB quality starters. 

Merrifield  is really the only surprising one that stinks. I thought he’d be a solid signing. But he’s just been awful. Add on he ranks 350th out of 354 hitters in exit velocity at 82.2mph. So he’s not even hitting it hard. He’s just been awful. There was a reason the Braves were willing to deal pache away to the A’s and why the A’s basically gave up on him like a year after they acquired him. Phillies are living off his couple months last year which he was ok but he’s reverted back to what the As saw. Dahl’s story was nice until he turned back into a pumpkin.

This all goes back to their offseason and just saying the lineup was good enough and the only addition to it was whit. It wasn’t good enough last year when it mattered the most. frankly they struggled off and on throughout the year to consistently hit with RISP. On the surface you look at our RISP avg and say it’s good. even the last 24 games where they are .257. But you look into it deeper it’s feast for 2 games then famine for 2-3 games where they are like 1-8 or 3-17. There’s ups and downs with every season but this is the same issue they struggled with during the postseason. It got covered up more the first two rounds and 2 games of the nlcs cause they were hitting homers at a great clip. But when the homers clip stopped they struggled to consistently bring home runners in scoring position which was really an issue each round where they hit well below their season average. In NLCS it was like .160 the last 5 games. Unfortunately i think the same issue may occur in the playoffs. They need another OF bat badly. I’d argue likely two cause marsh against LHP hasn’t been very good and they don’t trust him against it as to why he’s being platooned