Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

Offense is concerning

7 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Offense is concerning

Gotta give the pitchers some credit today. 

Thank you Dahl for that hit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Gotta give the pitchers some credit today. 

They are standing on their head....oops wrong thread

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Thank you Dahl for that hit. 

I reversed jinx the offense, I get credit for at least one run

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sanchez was only at 80 pitches. Could’ve potentially got a complete game shutout with how he was going. Was phenomenal today 

Looks like they always have to make it interesting 

• Like 1

Just now, RoadToHell said:

Looks like they always have to make it interesting 

Got it done but really why i didn’t like removing Sanchez when he’s pitching a gem at 80 pitches. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Got it done but really why i didn’t like removing Sanchez when he’s pitching a gem at 80 pitches. 

You have to really love how Sanchez has improved this season and become a solid starting pitcher. He was just your ordinary 5 starter but with Walker in the toilet it makes up for only having 1 starter that will hurt the team more than both him and Walker. With that said I hope Walker is done after this IL stint 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Too hot out, One pitch I would have been in a coma

15 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Too hot out, One pitch I would have been in a coma

If he was laboring he last two innings I’m more for doing it. But he was cruising in the 6th and 7th. 1-2-3 in both. 

• Like 1

Super solid to come back and win the series. 

6 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Offense is concerning

Offense is #3 in MLB.  Context is everything.  Offense is down across all the MLB teams.  So compare the Philly to their 2024 peers, not against some fantasy of yours.

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Sanchez was only at 80 pitches. Could’ve potentially got a complete game shutout with how he was going. Was phenomenal today 

According to the post game comments Rob wanted to get both Alvarado and Hoffman some work since they were well rested.

4 minutes ago, mattwill said:

According to the post game comments Rob wanted to get both Alvarado and Hoffman some work since they were well rested.

My issue tends to be with that is you don’t have an off day until next Monday. So hypothetically what happens if you need Alvarado and Hoffman tomorrow and Tuesday. Now you used them today in a game you could’ve likely avoided using one of them and don’t have them for both of those days. If the Phillies had an off day Monday or Thursday and they’ve pitched a lot of innings so far this year. I’m fine if they go an extra couple days with rest. 

44 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Ranger is under arbitration thru 2025. I wonder what the term and dollars would look like. He turns 29 in August. Something like $115m over 5 years? Seems reasonable for both sides.

20 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Catching up on this now but great contract for the Phils. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

My issue tends to be with that is you don’t have an off day until next Monday. So hypothetically what happens if you need Alvarado and Hoffman tomorrow and Tuesday. Now you used them today in a game you could’ve likely avoided using one of them and don’t have them for both of those days. If the Phillies had an off day Monday or Thursday and they’ve pitched a lot of innings so far this year. I’m fine if they go an extra couple days with rest. 

I understand your point.  The answer is a single word … rhythm.

14 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I understand your point.  The answer is a single word … rhythm.

Frankly less worried about rhythm at the moment and more worried about taxing their arms before October. I think the rhythm issue a bigger in September if the division doesn’t go do to the wire to have them ready for the postseason. Especially if we finally don’t have to play a WC round. I actually think it’s why we’ve seen some of the moves Thomson has made with Ruiz and Soto being put into high leverage spots were to see how they handle it and try to preserve the innings on guys’ arms. 

44 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Frankly less worried about rhythm at the moment and more worried about taxing their arms before October. I think the rhythm issue a bigger in September if the division doesn’t go do to the wire to have them ready for the postseason. Especially if we finally don’t have to play a WC round. I actually think it’s why we’ve seen some of the moves Thomson has made with Ruiz and Soto being put into high leverage spots were to see how they handle it and try to preserve the innings on guys’ arms. 

Fair enough 

So take a look at the state of offense this season. It’s not a pretty picture. If baseball keeps up this pace, it would lead to …

• 39,404 hits — more than 1,400 fewer than last year.

• 21,078 runs — more than 1,300 fewer than last year.

• 5,079 home runs — almost 800 fewer than last year.

• 7,628 doubles — exactly 600 fewer than last year.

But let’s put that in better perspective. At this pace, we would also be heading toward …

• The fewest doubles in a season since before the 1993 expansion. That’s two expansions ago!

• The fewest homers since 2015, just before the baseball got noticeably livelier.

• The fewest hits per game (in a full season) since 1968.

• The lowest batting average on balls in play (.288) since 1992.

So here is what that means as you try to measure what a good offense or good hitter looks like in 2024:

The average hitter now has a Bochy-esque slash line of .241/.311/.390.

Only 25 hitters in the sport are on pace to hit 30 home runs. As recently as 2019, there were 58 of them.

The average lineup now gets just 8.1 hits per game. Yikes! We’ve seen only five full seasons worse than that in the modern era (1901-present) — and four of them were 1906-07-08-09! The other was 1968.

• Like 1

They need to limit the day games in the summer, its ridiculous, it not the heat, its the humidity that kills you

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mattwill said:

So take a look at the state of offense this season. It’s not a pretty picture. If baseball keeps up this pace, it would lead to …

• 39,404 hits — more than 1,400 fewer than last year.

• 21,078 runs — more than 1,300 fewer than last year.

• 5,079 home runs — almost 800 fewer than last year.

• 7,628 doubles — exactly 600 fewer than last year.

But let’s put that in better perspective. At this pace, we would also be heading toward …

• The fewest doubles in a season since before the 1993 expansion. That’s two expansions ago!

• The fewest homers since 2015, just before the baseball got noticeably livelier.

• The fewest hits per game (in a full season) since 1968.

• The lowest batting average on balls in play (.288) since 1992.

So here is what that means as you try to measure what a good offense or good hitter looks like in 2024:

The average hitter now has a Bochy-esque slash line of .241/.311/.390.

Only 25 hitters in the sport are on pace to hit 30 home runs. As recently as 2019, there were 58 of them.

The average lineup now gets just 8.1 hits per game. Yikes! We’ve seen only five full seasons worse than that in the modern era (1901-present) — and four of them were 1906-07-08-09! The other was 1968.

Think there’s a couple things that could be why:

1. Pitch clock year too. I think more pitchers have adapted to it and it’s benefitted them getting into a rhythm. I think for as much as people say it effected pitchers it also effected some of these hitters who have whole routines before getting set. The great ones are still fine but the ones in the middle maybe struggling.

2. like Stott and Rojas, there’s a lot of guys who have way too long of swings and trying to hit the ball harder for better exit velocity. Guys like Stott and Rojas aren’t homerun hitters. So having a long swing is a detriment and it’s why they have lower averages. Obviously want higher exit velocity if putting the ball in play but when you couple trying too with a long power swing it’s leading to struggles. Stott and Rojas at their best are single and doubles hitters. Take Bohm, he really doesn’t have an elongated swing. It’s longer than most just cause of how tall he is. But it’s not the ideal power swing. Why he leads the league in doubles.

3. I don’t have the stats but it feels like relief pitching around the league has more talent in terms of just guys who throw gas. Feels like every team has 4-6 guys that just throw absolute gas. For instance the dbacks before yesterday had 3 guys that have around 1 ERA. Only Sewald is not a power pitcher of that group. 

4. Umpiring has been bad around the league. I watch enough games besides the Phillies. Can say it goes both ways for hitters and pitchers but hitters struggle more to comprehend where the strike zone is game to game. I think if they went to robot umpires it would be more consistent. Can say pitchers but pitchers throw to spots in scouting reports and know what type of hitter chases and not. I think it’s just a bigger issue for hitters.