Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

13 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Selling low is usually a poor strategy 

Prospects tend to go from low to lower.  They aren’t Tesla or Bank of America.  

1 minute ago, Blazehound said:

I’d leave him down through the all star break and then reconsider bringing him back up based on his performance. Pache and Daal are worthless. Merrifield sucks but has position versatility.

Unless someone gets hurt in the OF between now and the all star break i tend to believe that’s the plan. I think they likely bring him up then and then maybe they showcase him to be part of a deal for an outfielder. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Couple things, I think it’s hard to judge Justin Crawford‘s power because he’s only 20 years old. If he was like 23-24 then I think we could start questioning how much power he’s going to have. There was questions about Alec Bohm’s having enough power at third base. Crawford is never going to be mistaken for Ryan Howard power but i think at 20 years old it’s hard to say he has no power or he’ll never have that power.

Abel is depreciating value. He’s been really bad this year. The time to trade him was last offseason. Right now you are selling at a low and not getting all that much and really is likely a 3rd prospect included in a deal. He’s not a centerpiece and frankly likely not even the no 2 piece. 

painter is injured. So he is a depreciating value right now. You basically be selling him at a low. Unless you don’t believe he’s coming back to what he was prior then it’s likely better to hold onto him. 

the third best pitching prospect is George klassen. Kid has really good stuff. However he’s also in A ball. And he’s really only shown it this year. Not sure teams give you what you think for a guy who’s only done it for half a season at A ball. 

The other issue is, who are you getting at the deadline? With how close the races are in the American League wildcard and the National League wildcard there might not be a player out there worth giving up your prospects for. I keep seeing Luis Robert Jr, i think he’s overrated and not worth a Soto type package the white Sox are asking for. Over the last 4 years (2021-2024) his average has declined and his OBP has declined. People get frustrated with Castellanos chase rate and hit and cold streaks, Robert has the same issue. He has 38 Ks in 27 games. Meaning his 162 game pace is 228 Ks. He swings at a lot of crap pitches. Imo giving up a lot for him is risky as he’s also injury prone. If kyle tucker was available I’d do it for him. But i don’t think the guy to give up the farm is available for what they need.

another thing the Phillies sat around this off-season and just banked on Rojas and Castellanos to be better. But really Rojas was more likely going to be a platoon with marsh. And Castellanos couldnt be trusted. So when Bellinger was still sitting out there for months, they probably should’ve made a move to bring him in. Now I do think their thinking was probably Soto is gonna be a free agent at the end of next year. Let’s just wait to spend our money and throw it at him and get him. But the problem is, I don’t think he’s leaving the Yankees now. 

Also Griff McGarry.  But his value has gone to zero/throw in and his upside is becoming a quality bullpen arm once he figures it out in his late 20’s.

Painter makes the least sense to trade because we might as well ride him out.  Value is down but the upside is still there.  Unless, of course, someone wants to give up the value based on what everyone was seeing a year ago.

Crawford is early in the process, but I wouldn’t hesitate to part ways for something to put them over the top.

It’s just frustrating because 1-2 years ago the top end of the farm talent pool was pretty enticing…frankly none of them have progressed as hoped.  Painter is the only one that projects as a possible foundational player and he had a setback.  Crawford projects as a starter, but he’s a long way off and still has to project as a light bat until proven otherwise.  

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Also Griff McGarry.  But his value has gone to zero/throw in and his upside is becoming a quality bullpen arm once he figures it out in his late 20’s.

Painter makes the least sense to trade because we might as well ride him out.  Value is down but the upside is still there.  Unless, of course, someone wants to give up the value based on what everyone was seeing a year ago.

Crawford is early in the process, but I wouldn’t hesitate to part ways for something to put them over the top.

It’s just frustrating because 1-2 years ago the top end of the farm talent pool was pretty enticing…frankly none of them have progressed as hoped.  Painter is the only one that projects as a possible foundational player and he had a setback.  Crawford projects as a starter, but he’s a long way off and still has to project as a light bat until proven otherwise.  

Tbh McGarry was always kind of thought of as eventually being moved into a bullpen guy and the much lesser prospect of the 3. Why they moved him there this year. Frankly if he can be better with his control he still has the ability to be a good bullpen guy. His stuff is solid he just lacks control. He has 25 Ks in 17.1 innings at LHV but also 15 walks.

imo Abel is the really big disappointment. He had a bunch of value last year. He was really good. He wasn’t painter but definitely thought of having the upside of a no. 3 if things worked out. He’s just been as terrible. Frankly o actually think klassen if we dismiss painter with injury is their best pitching prospect.

im open to trading Crawford but only if they get a Kyle Tucker type player back. I think Crawford is going to be really good once he adds some muscle and bulk to his frame. I rather not sell him now unless getting a proven star.

forgetting Aiden miller in a year has become one of the better prospects in baseball. I’d add Caba who’s 18 is also one of the top 100 prospects in baseball. Issue with Caba is he plays SS and with Turner on his contract he’s pretty much blocked. I like Tait the catcher. But he’s about 3 maybe 4 years off.

imo i think the trade market is going to dictate there’s not a guy worthy of giving up multiple top prospects. I think the Astros hold on Tucker. Robert is overrated in terms of what it’ll cost to get and injury prone. Frankly I’m hoping the cubs bottom out and bellinger becomes available. I think he’s a good addition and wouldn’t break the bank. Sucks he’s a lefty but he plays every outfield position and he’s a good bat. Plus i think chemistry wise he’d fit 

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Couple things, I think it’s hard to judge Justin Crawford‘s power because he’s only 20 years old. If he was like 23-24 then I think we could start questioning how much power he’s going to have. There was questions about Alec Bohm’s having enough power at third base. Crawford is never going to be mistaken for Ryan Howard power but i think at 20 years old it’s hard to say he has no power or he’ll never have that power.

Abel is depreciating value. He’s been really bad this year. The time to trade him was last offseason. Right now you are selling at a low and not getting all that much and really is likely a 3rd prospect included in a deal. He’s not a centerpiece and frankly likely not even the no 2 piece. 

painter is injured. So he is a depreciating value right now. You basically be selling him at a low. Unless you don’t believe he’s coming back to what he was prior then it’s likely better to hold onto him. 

the third best pitching prospect is George klassen. Kid has really good stuff. However he’s also in A ball. And he’s really only shown it this year. Not sure teams give you what you think for a guy who’s only done it for half a season at A ball. 

The other issue is, who are you getting at the deadline? With how close the races are in the American League wildcard and the National League wildcard there might not be a player out there worth giving up your prospects for. I keep seeing Luis Robert Jr, i think he’s overrated and not worth a Soto type package the white Sox are asking for. Over the last 4 years (2021-2024) his average has declined and his OBP has declined. People get frustrated with Castellanos chase rate and hit and cold streaks, Robert has the same issue. He has 38 Ks in 27 games. Meaning his 162 game pace is 228 Ks. He swings at a lot of crap pitches. Imo giving up a lot for him is risky as he’s also injury prone. If kyle tucker was available I’d do it for him. But i don’t think the guy to give up the farm is available for what they need.

another thing the Phillies sat around this off-season and just banked on Rojas and Castellanos to be better. But really Rojas was more likely going to be a platoon with marsh. And Castellanos couldnt be trusted. So when Bellinger was still sitting out there for months, they probably should’ve made a move to bring him in. Now I do think their thinking was probably Soto is gonna be a free agent at the end of next year. Let’s just wait to spend our money and throw it at him and get him. But the problem is, I don’t think he’s leaving the Yankees now. 

I'm not worried about or even expecting power numbers with Crawford.

I'm looking for him to hit .280-.300 with .350+ OBP, steal 40+ bases and play elite defense in CF.

Any power on top of that is gravy. 

The biggest thing I'm concerned about this year with him is that his K% is up and his BB% is down - both in the Below Average range. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I'm not worried about or even expecting power numbers with Crawford.

I'm looking for him to hit .280-.300 with .350+ OBP, steal 40+ bases and play elite defense in CF.

Any power on top of that is gravy. 

The biggest thing I'm concerned about this year with him is that his K% is up and his BB% is down - both in the Below Average range. 

I think Crawford is going to be fine. The strikeout and walk percentages are major issues that need to work out. But i think he’s getting better as the season is going on. He’s young adjustments to be made and things to improve on. I’d be more concerned if he’s 24-25 and that was happening. He’s still 20. Like i said never going to be Howard. I do think over time he can likely be a 20ish homer guy when he grows into his body. 

that said he’s been great in June 

5 minutes ago, TV Guy said:

Bullpen heroics.

Don’t forget the great 2-9 with runners in scoring position. 

• Like 1

The Phillies bullpen have faced six hitters and gotten one out. And they’ve given up four extra bases against the marlins who are Fing dog crap.

Thankfully we are playing Merrifield and pache who are a combined 1-7 with 3 strikeouts. 

And whose dumb ass idea was it to play schwarber in the outfield tonight?

• Like 1

I realize the BP is the main reason we are blowing this game, but why wouldn’t you have your best starting line-up in the game when one of your aces is on the mound?

Sounds like Scwarber pulled something playing in the outfield and he shouldn’t have been out there in the first place. 

• Like 1

Jfc the bullpen is god awful tonight. Between that, horrific risp and playing schwarber in the OF and getting hurt it’s been a complete house of Fing horrors. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

And whose dumb ass idea was it to play schwarber in the outfield tonight?

Thomson is truly a moron. Marsh went 4-4 yesterday and sits?