EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Why? You hear how loud it was when the Cowboys scored 

Why?  Because you want to play a dangerous team at home instead of on the road.

Just now, Arsenal79 said:

Eagles will beat 49ers. Any time. Any place. 

I hope Swift holds up because he’s such an upgrade over Sanders. There was not a lot of space for him today, but he maximized it. It was also good to make better use of him as a receiver. 

22 minutes ago, TEW said:

Agreed, but it will likely be an OT.

There are a bunch of good, high upside prospects.

The issue I see is that most of them probably aren’t good candidates for RG. They are mostly tall, long, athletic types who will be excellent edge pass blockers but might not have the low center of gravity to dominate at RG. Plus, you want that guy to be able to step in as a backup OT without needing to reshuffle the OL.

Steen should be a good RG. Prototypical size and athleticism. If he had longer arms he’d be a blue chip OT prospect.

With Opeta and Steen and Dickerson, the Eagles are looking more and more solid at OG.  Bringing in a blue-chip prototypical OT is the priority.  If the drafted player doesn’t fit the OG mold I’m not too worried.

@HazletonEagle made a comment about Barton being closer to his ceiling that the other OTs.  He may be right, but I believe a player’s ceiling under Stoutland is considerably higher than with other O-Line coaches.

9 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

The Eagles are a good team, but it's hard to say they are on the same level with the 49ers based on their coordinators and the Eagles having massive holes in the secondary. They desperately need Howie to make a move for a Nickle/S. Honestly, he also needs a WR because Wallace is a liability. He doesn't need to get a game changing player, but someone who can reliably move the chains as a possession WR.

There isn't much that can be done at this point with their DC, but if Howie makes two moves they will be in a MUCH better position. Chinn from the Panthers would be a good first step. I'm not sure who would be on the WR market, but it shouldn't be hard to find someone better than Wallace.

The DC who shut out the Rams in the 2nd half and held them to 14pts?

Cowboys continue their undisciplined and foolish play when it counts.  No idea why people are so afraid of them.  We'll take care of them no problem.

7 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Flying across the country to play is never an ideal situation

It's a cowardly excuse if playing for a chance to go to the SB

6 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Flying across the country to play is never an ideal situation

And yet despite that, many were scared shitless to play San Fran last year in the NFCCG even though it was known they'd have to come cross country.

3 minutes ago, mattwill said:

With Opeta and Steen and Dickerson, the Eagles are looking more and more solid at OG.  Bringing in a blue-chip prototypical OT is the priority.  If the drafted player doesn’t fit the OG mold I’m not too worried.

@HazletonEagle made a comment about Barton being closer to his ceiling that the other OTs.  He may be right, but I believe a player’s ceiling under Stoutland is considerably higher than with other O-Line coaches.

Someone else said that. Not me. I dont know enough about him yet. Just brought him up. 

5 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Eagles should not be scared to travel West for a game in beautiful weather. 

Purdy's face really throws me off. He looks way more like a punter than a QB. A punter or the ballboy in tennis 

32 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Not sure what to make of OT.  I thought they needed to draft Lane’s replacement 2 years ago.  If the right guy is there, then it may be time to pull the trigger.  But, IMO, they need sweeping additions in the secondary.  I’m not confident in anything at all there for 2024.

A reliable WR3 would be nice…but I wonder if that’s an opportunity for an interesting 2nd chance vet.  Might get a faster contribution.

I think the draft is a tough place to look for immediate success in the secondary. Rookies in general tend not to be impact players, and DBs especially hold to this rule. We can draft a guy, but they’ll probably need a redshirt year, and it’s more likely we will get production from Ringo who has all the physical talent you would want in a first round corner anyway, but a year in our system. The same goes for Brown, who should be ready to start.

OT to me is a clear cut pick in the first two rounds. There are too many good prospects and Lane has said he is retiring sooner rather than later. You don’t want any question marks there.

WR… I think we can get a guy in the 3rd-5th rounds that would be an immediate upgrade. Lots of good ones this draft, and all different types.

I don't like seeing the Niners play well but it's against Dallas so... perfectly acceptable.

12 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I think the chances of an O-lineman reaching his ceiling is considerably higher than with other OL coaches, but the ceiling is the same regardless of who drafts him. At least that’s how I look at it.

That’s where our alpha is — we can take the raw high upside guys who are usually a ~30% hit rate and they become a 60% hit rate under his tutelage. Mailata is the obvious example, but it goes for everyone else too. Guys like Isaac Seumalo are the same situation — under most coaches I don’t think he becomes a top tier starter.

With this in mind, I think we don’t need to trade way up for a top 10 type of prospect. There are a bunch of guys with blue chip physical traits without blue chip skills who will go in the 15-45 range. The real work here is figuring out if they have the mentality to maximize their gifts.

1 minute ago, bitbased said:

I don't like seeing the Niners play well but it's against Dallas so... perfectly acceptable.

Not even new news - DAL couldn’t handle Josh Dobbs.

I remain unimpressed with Brock Purdy. When everything is perfect around him, it's clinical. But if one thing goes wrong...

Archived