EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

We are 6.5 point favorites over the Jets on DraftKings.

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts was outstanding today…but one thing to mention that I hope he and the coaches are acutely aware of…Hurts can make every throw on the field when he steps into it.  But when he throws on the run off balance, he only has the arm to float it.  Sometimes, that floater might be a 15-20 yard completion, but it’s a floater nonetheless.  There’s no shame in that: the same applies to prime Brees, Manning, and Brady.  But due to his athleticism, there seems to be this emphasis to get him running out of the pocket and looking downfield.  That’s Mahomes, Rodgers, Josh Allen’s game.  Our offense shouldn’t be getting into that.  When Hurts is forced to flush out or backpedal, it’s less likely to be a good result for us.

I don’t think there’s an emphasis on it, I just think it’s safer than taking a hit in the pocket, to scramble and get rid of the ball. He bails a second too fast sometimes, but I think his biggest issue is just trying too hard to make a play survive. Sometimes 2nd and 10 is a win versus running out of bounds for -3 or taking an 8 yard sack. I think we need to build in a few more motions to give him keys to what the defense is doing, and have some more hots ready in case of a blitz. Other than that I think he’s really good. A couple amazing INTs by defenders this year on sidelines, but he’s doing the job well, and taking way less hits. 

59 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Winning does and it's not a shock wherever he goes those teams offensive look awesome. His gravity is real

Mahomes already won a SB without him. I’m not sure it’s his gravity that made KC who they are. Winning is a team stat, and definitely doesn’t tel the tale of how good an individual receiver is or isn’t. Is Julian Edelman better than Randy Moss because he has way more rings? Is Hines Ward better than Terrell Owens he use he has more rings? Not at all. It’s a meaningless stat that really has nothing to do with the talent of someone. 

Hurts is the only Eagle to turn the ball over so far.  4 INTs and 1 Fumble.

23 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

They tried to block Reddick with a running back lmao. Baby Rhino has a motor and talent to go with it. Chasing down plays from behind shows he’s effort. He’s always around the ball. 

46 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Styles make fights.  DAL should have been fired up to get on the field against the team that’s ended their season two years in a row.  They’ve been abused in this game again, from the opening series.  They just don’t match up well against SF — similar to how the Packers never matched up well against the Niners a few years ago.  Both teams let the Niners beat them up and push them around.

The Eagles do match up well with SF.  They dominate them in the trenches and hold a nascar race to their QBs.  Their OL shuts down Bosa and doesn’t allow Warner and Greenlaw to roam free.

49ers also aren’t predicated on getting the ball to guys in rhythm/timing routes. Very much crossing routes and finding space behind zones which might help us with our off-coverage as opposed to DAL heavier man defense. 

However, 49ers are clicking early and Philly still is growing as a team. If they played today, I’d say 49ers would get 6.5 at home. 

59 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

IMO, the entire NFL is a 5 horse race.

1. Chiefs
2. SF
3. Eagles
4. Miami
5. Bills

Detroit/Dallas/Cincinnati/Jacksonville/Cleveland…good teams, but not going to Vegas.

Good list. Dolphins have to show they’re decent in the winter. Bills have to prove their QB won’t lose them the game playing hero ball over and over again. 

Today gave me 2017 vibes with the way we controlled t.o.p. especially in the 2nd half. And I still can't get over the TD before the half with less than 40 seconds on the clock. That was a MASSIVE momentum shift going into the locker room. I really like that Desai has been dialing up more blitzes. Really forced some erratic throws. As everyone on the team says, we are striving to get better each week and they have been. As long as they continue to trend in the right direction, we're good.

Edit: let's not forget Cox was out as well.

19 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

49ers also aren’t predicated on getting the ball to guys in rhythm/timing routes. Very much crossing routes and finding space behind zones which might help us with our off-coverage as opposed to DAL heavier man defense. 

However, 49ers are clicking early and Philly still is growing as a team. If they played today, I’d say 49ers would get 6.5 at home. 

I don’t think the Niners will get a game vs the Eagles at home 

1 hour ago, justwinbaby said:

Yes on Parcells but no on criteria 

Okay, we are half way there.  Are you familiar with Malcolm Gladwell?  And if yes, with his book "Outliers"?  Throughout the book, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to achieving world-class expertise in any skill, is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing the correct way, for a total of around 10,000 hours.  Parcells criteria are a reflection of that 10,000 Hour Rule ... Parcells translated "hours" into "starts."

Parcells would look at last April's QB class and say Anthony Richardson didn't have enough starts, neither did Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.  He would also almost surely say that Brock Purdy's greatest asset was the 48 starts he had over his 5 years at Iowa State.

2 hours ago, DoWorx said:

Pretty sure Ricks played more snaps in the nickel than Roby in the second half.  Not a negative to Roby but a recognition of Ricks.  I never had a doubt of the outcome today, even the 32 seconds the Rams led.  I can’t wait to watch the All 22. I said last week, let Jalen run.  He did today.  But in watching the game today and a quick condensed game rewatch, I think the All22 is going to confirm:

1 Jalen ran in a way to protect his right side.

2. Opeta put on a punch clinic.  

3. BigEFly apologizes to Evans, he is better than Edmunds.  I think because on Broadcast TV, he was so deep I rarely saw him.  All22 will reveal.

4. Both Ricks and Roby played closer to the LOS as did the LBs today. Goodrich looks lost.

5. Two consecutive plays, Rams try the run and met Jordan Davis bear hug. Okay, the All22 won’t "confirm” that but I want to watch that again.

6. Did the Rams really disrespect Goedert and play a 300 DL on him?  

7. Quez didn’t open things up enough to downgrade OZ.

Couple side notes.  This game gave @BigEFly delusional thoughts (no gummies involved) that Nick, Sean and Brian read his posts because Run Jalen Run and tighten the cushion in the secondary.  If so, this week I offer run Scott instead of Swift late in the fourth quarter. Brilliant move by Nick listening to Howie’s analytic guys to run two failed Brotherly Shoves running out the clock (and not convinced Jalen’s reach in truth didn’t ruin that strategy) to show "it can be beat” and get the whole cancel it thing in the trash bin where it belongs.

Two up towards winning the NFCE and the other players got an asswhipping.  

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Pretty sure Ricks played more snaps in the nickel than Roby in the second half.  Not a negative to Roby but a recognition of Ricks.  I never had a doubt of the outcome today, even the 32 seconds the Rams led.  I can’t wait to watch the All 22. I said last week, let Jalen run.  He did today.  But in watching the game today and a quick condensed game rewatch, I think the All22 is going to confirm:

1 Jalen ran in a way to protect his right side.

2. Opeta put on a punch clinic.  

3. BigEFly apologizes to Evans, he is better than Edmunds.  I think because on Broadcast TV, he was so deep I rarely saw him.  All22 will reveal.

4. Both Ricks and Roby played closer to the LOS as did the LBs today. Goodrich looks lost.

5. Two consecutive plays, Rams try the run and met Jordan Davis bear hug. Okay, the All22 won’t "confirm” that but I want to watch that again.

6. Did the Rams really disrespect Goedert and play a 300 DL on him?  

7. Quez didn’t open things up enough to downgrade OZ.

Couple side notes.  This game gave @BigEFly delusional thoughts (no gummies involved) that Nick, Sean and Brian read his posts because Run Jalen Run and tighten the cushion in the secondary.  If so, this week I offer run Scott instead of Swift late in the fourth quarter. Brilliant move by Nick listening to Howie’s analytic guys to run two failed Brotherly Shoves running out the clock (and not convinced Jalen’s reach in truth didn’t ruin that strategy) to show "it can be beat” and get the whole cancel it thing in the trash bin where it belongs.

Two up towards winning the NFCE and the other players got an asswhipping.  

Really surprised Ringo isn’t getting snaps. Is he that raw?

36 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Today gave me 2017 vibes with the way we controlled t.o.p. especially in the 2nd half. And I still can't get over the TD before the half with less than 40 seconds on the clock. That was a MASSIVE momentum shift going into the locker room. I really like that Desai has been dialing up more blitzes. Really forced some erratic throws. As everyone on the team says, we are striving to get better each week and they have been. As long as they continue to trend in the right direction, we're good.

Edit: let's not forget Cox was out as well.

My belief isn't that that was a game-specific momentum shift.  It felt like a whole-season momentum shift.

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Lots of game experience, winning record, good accuracy, good TD:INT ratio, etc. Stetson Bennett.

Good one.  I suspect the biggest difference between Purdy and Bennett is character.

Look I give props were props is due.  The 49ers are rolling but Purdy's glass slipper will fall off at some point. He's still going to have to deal with the Nightmare on Reddick Street on 12/3.  They got the Browns next week and that's just the type of game I could see them having trouble with.  Browns Defense and a mobile QB.   But based on what I'm seeing, it looks like the Eagles or someone from the 49ers Division like the Seahawks will have to stop them.   

Franklins point is well taken, but the thing I can’t get past with this game is the red zone problems.

After the first drive, when the plays were scripted, we looked completely inept down there….and have pretty much every game.

We should have beaten this team by 3 TDs.

When you have AJ, Smith, and Goedert there is absolutely no excuse for being as bad as we are in scoring position, and I put it 100% on the coaches.

If you want to parse out how much of that goes to Nick and how much goes to Johnson, be my guest. But, we didn’t have these problems last year.

Good to see carter getting more snaps. We've all seen what he can do!

19 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Is this actually true? Pretty sure they had some snaps inside the 50 after half time

7 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Hear me out. While it would be a disservice to Fletcher Cox, could he be used in a trade? I don't think the DL took a step back without him yesterday. He's been playing fantastic this year, but there's so much youth behind him that just needs to be on the field. I'd love to see the Eagles veterans all retire as Eagles together but if he can bring back a player or draft pick that would help this team, you have to consider. 

Speaking of veterans, BG absolutely destroyed the Rams Center on that one play and while Olson mentioned it, we never got a good replay of it.

5 hours ago, mattwill said:

Good one.  I suspect the biggest difference between Purdy and Bennett is character.

I can’t remember if Parcells had rigid size requirements for his players as well - Purdy is just over 6’ while Bennett is just below iirc. I might be conflating this with a different coach…

Archived