EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

9 hours ago, mattwill said:

Okay, we are half way there.  Are you familiar with Malcolm Gladwell?  And if yes, with his book "Outliers"?  Throughout the book, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to achieving world-class expertise in any skill, is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing the correct way, for a total of around 10,000 hours.  Parcells criteria are a reflection of that 10,000 Hour Rule ... Parcells translated "hours" into "starts."

Parcells would look at last April's QB class and say Anthony Richardson didn't have enough starts, neither did Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.  He would also almost surely say that Brock Purdy's greatest asset was the 48 starts he had over his 5 years at Iowa State.

I have heard of the 10,000 hour thing but did not know who Malcolm Gladwell was.. I need to read more books. I see how it all correlates now and thanks for the explanation! And for the daily lesson. I'll be back for more. 

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Quez playing 52 snaps compared to Zaccheaus playing 9 is head scratching. Yes, Hurts missed a wide open Quez in the end zone but there's no way you can tell me he should be getting 5x the snaps. 

Also, can we just cut Calcaterra and give his 6 snaps to Big O?

I think the intent for Quez playing so much is to help Goedert out underneath and get him more space for RAC. The idea may be the defense has to respect the speed of both Quez and DeVonta, but Quez hasn't really shown his speed this season and the rams did a good job of containing DeVonta. But AJ still went off and Goedert finally got involved.

It may be a week to week thing where defenses will just have to pick their poison. I like OZ as a receiver, but he doesn't have the speed that defenses have to account for like Quez does.

14 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

This is what the team needs to focus on the most moving forward... or perhaps the COACHES need to focus on.   Funny part... the best offenses in the red zone can usually run it down there at will.   I think they need to get Stoutland to put his mind to it and get the running game going in the red zone... AND without relying on Hurts to do it.

I don't know why there's not more of what they scored on in the red zone.  A simple post route to the TE should be a staple play from 20 to 5 yards out from the end zone.  

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Anyone we should ask about?

Idk but the jets should really think about calling the Vikings and inquiring about cousins. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk but the jets should really think about calling the Vikings and inquiring about cousins. 

May be too late for that? Though actually I guess they have 2 wins this year so no it isn’t too late.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

@ManuManu You asked about this play.

I think Baldy got a little carried away here, as did the announcers. Johnson does not "ride” Donald anywhere. He has his hand on his back but that’s it. He follows him. Usually on stunts like this the blocker trades off with the guy next to him but that doesn’t happen here. Kelce has doubled the DT with Opeta but comes off him when he sees Donald coming around. So, Donald, his lane closed off, keeps going and runs into the wall that Mailata and Dickerson have built. An interesting thing here: Kelce starts by doubling the DT with Opeta, comes off him when he sees Donald coming, then picks up the DE who, stoned by Mailata, tries to loop inside. I’m more impressed by Kelce here than Lane, not that Lane did anything wrong. This is just great line play across the board.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

May be too late for that? Though actually I guess they have 2 wins this year so no it isn’t too late.

2-3 so they still have a chance. Even at 2-4 if (hoping so) they lose to the eagles. They still have a shot at the playoffs at 2-4. Their schedule has a 8 games they can win with cousins (at giants, vs. chargers, at Vegas, vs. atlanta, vs. Houston, vs. commanders, at browns and at NE). I’m guessing they might also pull an upset in one of these games if they had cousins (vs. Miami, at Buffalo and at Miami)

their bye week is after week 6. So the time to do it would be then 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

2-3 so they still have a chance. Even at 2-4 if (hoping so) they lose to the eagles. They still have a shot at the playoffs at 2-4. Their schedule has a 8 games they can win with cousins (at giants, vs. chargers, at Vegas, vs. atlanta, vs. Houston, vs. commanders, at browns and at NE). I’m guessing they might also pull an upset in one of these games if they had cousins (vs. Miami, at Buffalo and at Miami)

And then he’ll choke in the play offs. No team should want Cousins!

31 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hicks and Davenport

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

Gainwell has run very well in short yardage.  Hes not getting gaping holes like Swift has, but he's carried out his role well.

We're not missing anything with Boston Scott right now.  I thought Gainwell had a really good game yesterday 

Yup. I don't really understand this penchant for knocking Gainwell, who's been doing a pretty good job overall. He's actually our best short yardage back because of how quick and decisive he is to the hole. He runs with good lean and he finishes his runs hard. No, he's not going to turn a five yard run into a twenty yard run like Swift potentially can. But overall, I like him.

Unrelated point I just thought of. I found it interesting how when the Eagles were trying to milk the clock in the closing minutes, they were running outside plays. I'm always worried about guys going out of bounds on those (yeah I'm looking at you, Miles Sanders) but it appears they were well coached to make sure to stay in bounds. I was wondering why they were doing this and I realized that it was probably simply because a play like that is going to take longer and you'll be able to run more time off the clock. Kinda smart actually.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing Scott get some more carries. He brings an energy to the offense that I think can be helpful.

39 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Quez for JJ seems fair

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yup. I don't really understand this penchant for knocking Gainwell, who's been doing a pretty good job overall. He's actually our best short yardage back because of how quick and decisive he is to the hole. He runs with good lean and he finishes his runs hard. No, he's not going to turn a five yard run into a twenty yard run like Swift potentially can. But overall, I like him.

Unrelated point I just thought of. I found it interesting how when the Eagles were trying to milk the clock in the closing minutes, they were running outside plays. I'm always worried about guys going out of bounds on those (yeah I'm looking at you, Miles Sanders) but it appears they were well coached to make sure to stay in bounds. I was wondering why they were doing this and I realized that it was probably simply because a play like that is going to take longer and you'll be able to run more time off the clock. Kinda smart actually.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing Scott get some more carries. He brings an energy to the offense that I think can be helpful.

Outside runs take longer, but also the defense is geared to be ultra aggressive against up the middle runs there. 

As for Gainwell being our best short yardage back. I’m not so sure anymore. 

Tavierre Thomas is a name we should be looking into.  Out with broken hand currently but could be a real nice slot CB option

12 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

The knock is he's being used too much. He's averaging 10 carries for 32 yards per game. I don't care what RB it is, 3.2 YPC is terrible.

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Gardner Minshew can earn up to $5.5 million with incentives.  Think that may put him into contention for offering more guarantees on the comp picks the Eagles receive.

2 hours ago, NYEagle said:

We need quality CB help in a trade....and the Rams were abusing our LB's in coverage, not sure if the return of Dean helps that.

Dean is another run defender, we do not seem to have a LB that excels in coverage. 

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

I’m good with more Scott touches at Gainwell’s expense. They better leave Swift alone. 

I’m fine with Gainwell there. I noted that McCaffery had 22 touches before the game was out of reach and it brings back my criticism of Shanahan’s play calling, which I think applies here. You give a RB 20-30 touches a game, he’s going to be busted up later on. If the game had stayed close, Shanahan would have kept riding him. Shanahan is a great Xs and Os guy but he’s not so hot with personnel management. Blocking Reddick with Backup TE looks good on paper but it ignores the matchup, as an egregious example.

So, I’m happy to sit Swift at times. Gainwell is a good tough back, doesn’t fumble, and is our best RB at blitz pickup. That last element is critical.

Gainwell should be getting those short-yardage touches. Why expose Swift to those hits?

Honestly, not having an RB3 that we trust is hurting the running game too. When Swift isn't in, Gainwell can't be used for all those runs. We need to use Boston Scott a bit more.

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And then he’ll choke in the play offs. No team should want Cousins!

He’s a better option for a year with a win now roster than Wilson. No one should be starting zack Wilson 

2 hours ago, RLC said:

Ahh yes, the NFL in 2023. A runner's league.

I mean , it weirdly kind of is. The two undefeated teams are winning by running. And the most explosive offense, Miami, is leading the league in rushing with an average of almost 7 yards per carry.

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Asked this during the game, i can’t remember when it was but when was the last time quez watkins had a positive type game for the eagles? It feels like before the commanders game last year and since he’s been more of a negative for the eagles. 

Define positive.  Is taking a S to the other side of the field or deep allowing 1 on 1 for Brown a positive play or a negative one?  Frankly, I like the Quez/OZ combo, I just don’t understand 52 snaps for Quez and only 9 for OZ.  Should be a few more OZ snaps I think. 

16 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Not during the season 

I think a trade for a top end player is unlikely.  I do think they highly value CB.  I am also pretty sure that Howie would not be adverse to giving up draft stock to upgrade the roster now.  

Archived