EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I re-watched the game last night.  I think the DB's did a much better job disrupting Kupp's and Nacua's routes in the 2nd half.  They were a lot more physical.  Some of that may have just been Roby coming in and playing well.  I thought much of the credit should go to the offense just after the game.  I still think Sirianni's emphasis on controlling the clock is a big reason.  I also think the defense did much better taking away what McVay wanted to do.  

55 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Anyone we should ask about?

Maybe not in the Vikes. For the offense I think Jerry Jeudy is the best option. Cordarrelle Patterson would be terrific here. Maybe Hunter Renfrow or Ertz.

Our LBers are playing well enough though I doubt they’ll make a move. Can’t think of many DBs who someone will throw away that are cheap for us. Roby seems to fit, our safeties will get healthier. Maybe the Honey Badger for his versatility in the slot and safety. 

13 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Define positive.  Is taking a S to the other side of the field or deep allowing 1 on 1 for Brown a positive play or a negative one?  Frankly, I like the Quez/OZ combo, I just don’t understand 52 snaps for Quez and only 9 for OZ.  Should be a few more OZ snaps I think. 

I guess a game where he contributes by receiving the ball and helping the eagles have success on offense with his receiving ability and not just route running.  Like i could say Mack hollins when he had that streak of games with no catches could have taken a safety to the other side of the field or allowing 1 on 1 for one of our receivers at that time.

frankly oz should be playing more snaps then 9 and discrepancy shouldn’t be that big 

4 hours ago, mattwill said:

Here are the Snap Counts from the Rams game

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 3.29.56 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 3.33.34 AM.png

The Quez/OZ split is egregious.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Said it yesterday and I'll say it again.

Call Denver and see what they want for Sutton and Simmons

Did you mean Surtain? Don't see a need for Sutton...

It was legitimately 60-65% Eagles fans in that stadium, and maybe more. When we walked in/out, there was hardly a Rams fan to be found. One question for those who watched -- how did Roby look? Seemed like he came in for the 2nd half and we shut them down. 

SoFi has a club for seats between the 40s where you can go down to field level and stand right behind the bench. AJ Brown was actually interacting with us towards the end of the game (headed down at the 2:00 warning). 

10 hours ago, mattwill said:

Okay, we are half way there.  Are you familiar with Malcolm Gladwell?  And if yes, with his book "Outliers"?  Throughout the book, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to achieving world-class expertise in any skill, is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing the correct way, for a total of around 10,000 hours.  Parcells criteria are a reflection of that 10,000 Hour Rule ... Parcells translated "hours" into "starts."

Parcells would look at last April's QB class and say Anthony Richardson didn't have enough starts, neither did Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.  He would also almost surely say that Brock Purdy's greatest asset was the 48 starts he had over his 5 years at Iowa State.

I find Gladwell to be amusing but facile. Old wine, new bottle. The 10,000 hour rule has just enough examples to seem substantive but falls apart with even brief inspection. There’s no room for talent, just for starters.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I don't know why there's not more of what they scored on in the red zone.  A simple post route to the TE should be a staple play from 20 to 5 yards out from the end zone.  

With a guy like Goedert, you'd think that would be an obvious move for them.  But... somehow they haven't made it a priority.  Just run the old Chad Lewis routes!  

40 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Dean is another run defender, we do not seem to have a LB that excels in coverage. 

Morrow had a Nakobe ‘at UGA game’ playing clean and allowed to blitz vs WAS. We haven’t seen that yet from Dean at this level - although I think he has better hands to pluck easy INTs and scoop fumbles which was a missed opportunity yesterday.

There seems to be a bigger emphasis on punching the ball out than previous years, or maybe I'm just noticing it more. I routinely see players try to punch the ball out rather than actually attempt the tackle. Eagles look to be well coached on offense about that and are getting 3-4 extra yards as the opposing defense refuses to try to tackle.

5 hours ago, mattwill said:

Here are the Snap Counts from the Rams game

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 3.29.56 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 3.33.34 AM.png

Would be interested seeing at some point this week how the new guy Roby looked on his snaps.

30 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Maybe not in the Vikes. For the offense I think Jerry Jeudy is the best option. Cordarrelle Patterson would be terrific here. Maybe Hunter Renfrow or Ertz.

Our LBers are playing well enough though I doubt they’ll make a move. Can’t think of many DBs who someone will throw away that are cheap for us. Roby seems to fit, our safeties will get healthier. Maybe the Honey Badger for his versatility in the slot and safety. 

Rentrow is no better than anything already on the roster Ertz is way past his prime and doesn't block.

One of the reasons the run game works is because Goedert and Stoll are good run blockers, Ertz was never even a decent run blocker he hasn't gotten better at it in his late 3Os.

Juedy would be a big get but I'm not sure Howie would be willing to give you what he'd cost in a trade?

15 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

It was legitimately 60-65% Eagles fans in that stadium, and maybe more. When we walked in/out, there was hardly a Rams fan to be found. One question for those who watched -- how did Roby look? Seemed like he came in for the 2nd half and we shut them down. 

SoFi has a club for seats between the 40s where you can go down to field level and stand right behind the bench. AJ Brown was actually interacting with us towards the end of the game (headed down at the 2:00 warning). 

It was apparent from the broadcast that the Eagles fans outnumbered Rams fans.  Did you tell AJ to stop yelling at Hurts? 

15 minutes ago, just relax said:

I find Gladwell to be amusing but facile. Old wine, new bottle. The 10,000 hour rule has just enough examples to seem substantive but falls apart with even brief inspection. There’s no room for talent, just for starters.

I don't know if it falls apart but the limits of the rule are obvious.  Practice isn't a substitute for talent.  Practice can help someone with talent to improve in an area.  

9 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

There seems to be a bigger emphasis on punching the ball out than previous years, or maybe I'm just noticing it more. I routinely see players try to punch the ball out rather than actually attempt the tackle. Eagles look to be well coached on offense about that and are getting 3-4 extra yards as the opposing defense refuses to try to tackle.

Tackling is hard.  

51 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He’s a better option for a year with a win now roster than Wilson. No one should be starting zack Wilson 

He’s a better option but ultimately the purpose is the SB. No team is going to the SB with Cousins at QB!

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

It was apparent from the broadcast that the Eagles fans outnumbered Rams fans.  Did you tell AJ to stop yelling at Hurts? 

I don't know if it falls apart but the limits of the rule are obvious.  Practice isn't a substitute for talent.  Practice can help someone with talent to improve in an area.  

Someone threw him a shoe from the stands and he signed it and threw it back.

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Rentrow is no better than anything already on the roster Ertz is way past his prime and doesn't block.

One of the reasons the run game works is because Goedert and Stoll are good run blockers, Ertz was never even a decent run blocker he hasn't gotten better at it in his late 3Os.

Juedy would be a big get but I'm not sure Howie would be willing to give you what he'd cost in a trade?

Zach Ertz is 32. I do think he would probably help the red zone offense.  I don't think there's any reason to trade for him other than nostalgia.   I think Renfrow from 2021 would be an upgrade.  I don't think he has played well since that season.  

13 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

It's been league wide past couple of years to punch the ball out to get a fumble

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Just absurd

He didn't show this at UGA at all. He always looked lazy and raw to me. I'm just amazed at how he's started his career. Eating crow every week so far. He's just a treat to watch. 

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He’s a better option but ultimately the purpose is the SB. No team is going to the SB with Cousins at QB!

The Super Bowl was never in play for the Jets.  Even with Rodgers, BUF is still better and MIA might be as well.  Acquiring Rodgers was about becoming relevant.

33 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I guess a game where he contributes by receiving the ball and helping the eagles have success on offense with his receiving ability and not just route running.  Like i could say Mack hollins when he had that streak of games with no catches could have taken a safety to the other side of the field or allowing 1 on 1 for one of our receivers at that time.

frankly oz should be playing more snaps then 9 and discrepancy shouldn’t be that big 

OZ and Quez aren’t going to see a lot of throws their way just like Stoll won’t either.  Their main jobs are to block and get the primary open.  But ignore them or put a player on them that gives too much cushion and boom, long play.  Eagles will target them enough to insure they are a threat.  Not you but I find it interesting how Quez and OZ can be both overvalued and undervalued here.  

Archived