EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

So that last Brotherly Shove where Hurts put the ball out past the first down line wasn't a first because?  Whistle came after he stretched it out

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike030270 said:

It's been league wide past couple of years to punch the ball out to get a fumble

I thinks it’s been taught for 10+ years to the point now where it’s been a feature of these players entire amateur/professional careers.

12 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Rentrow is no better than anything already on the roster Ertz is way past his prime and doesn't block.

One of the reasons the run game works is because Goedert and Stoll are good run blockers, Ertz was never even a decent run blocker he hasn't gotten better at it in his late 3Os.

Juedy would be a big get but I'm not sure Howie would be willing to give you what he'd cost in a trade?

Not sure, the broncos need to start their fire sale before the whole team loses value. They’ve blown their figurative load on 2 people who aren’t worth a damn. I’m sure they’ll find someone young I haven’t heard of and get max value out of him for 2 seasons before someone else pays them lol 

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

OZ and Quez aren’t going to see a lot of throws their way just like Stoll won’t either.  Their main jobs are to block and get the primary open.  But ignore them or put a player on them that gives too much cushion and boom, long play.  Eagles will target them enough to insure they are a threat.  Not you but I find it interesting how Quez and OZ can be both overvalued and undervalued here.  

On that screen to Quez where both WRs had great blocks, did you see how irate Sirianni was after the play? That could have been a big play but Quez turned it into a loss. I'm pretty much done with him.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

He didn't show this at UGA at all. He always looked lazy and raw to me. I'm just amazed at how he's started his career. Eating crow every week so far. He's just a treat to watch. 

He definitely did show it at Georgia he was a freak. It's obviously more impressive doing it at the NFL level tossing grown men around like rag dolls. Youtube his Georgia highlight packages it's full of plays looking exactly like this.

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yup. I don't really understand this penchant for knocking Gainwell, who's been doing a pretty good job overall. He's actually our best short yardage back because of how quick and decisive he is to the hole. He runs with good lean and he finishes his runs hard. No, he's not going to turn a five yard run into a twenty yard run like Swift potentially can. But overall, I like him.

Unrelated point I just thought of. I found it interesting how when the Eagles were trying to milk the clock in the closing minutes, they were running outside plays. I'm always worried about guys going out of bounds on those (yeah I'm looking at you, Miles Sanders) but it appears they were well coached to make sure to stay in bounds. I was wondering why they were doing this and I realized that it was probably simply because a play like that is going to take longer and you'll be able to run more time off the clock. Kinda smart actually.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing Scott get some more carries. He brings an energy to the offense that I think can be helpful.

Gainwell is also the most reliable RB we have in Pass Pro.  

Just now, just relax said:

On that screen to Quez where both WRs had great blocks, did you see how irate Sirianni was after the play? That could have been a big play but Quez turned it into a loss. I'm pretty much done with him.

3rd down conversion that was schemed and executed to win, scuttled by a mental error - Quez just isn’t reliable.

48 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The Quez/OZ split is egregious.

Did you mean Surtain? Don't see a need for Sutton...

No, Sutton. Immediate upgrade over Watkins and much better depth than what we have. Still young enough.

Having said that after looking at his contract... nevermind.

3 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Would you trade Barnett for Hunter Renfrow?  Renfrow hasn't done much lately but neither has Barnett obviously

Without question

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He’s a better option but ultimately the purpose is the SB. No team is going to the SB with Cousins at QB!

They aren’t getting to the playoffs to even have any chance without him. I rather get to the playoffs and take whatever my chances are. That’s not happening with wilson

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

OZ and Quez aren’t going to see a lot of throws their way just like Stoll won’t either.  Their main jobs are to block and get the primary open.  But ignore them or put a player on them that gives too much cushion and boom, long play.  Eagles will target them enough to insure they are a threat.  Not you but I find it interesting how Quez and OZ can be both overvalued and undervalued here.  

They need a better slot/3rd WR. That shouldn't cost them a high pick, but could open things up even more. That's worth the investment to me along with a S/CB move. If they make those two moves and get Dean back to pair with Morrow I think the teams will be screwed trying to find a weak spot to attack.

I have to say, McVay was outcoached yesterday.  Eagles can’t defend the pass so go with intermediate and long passes with a banged up OL isn’t sound strategy.  He abandoned the run, so with Cox and Marlon T out, the Eagles played a lighter DL with Milton, Sweat, Reddick and Graham peeling back their ears and rushing Stafford.  On D, they focused on stopping Swift and didn’t spy Hurts who killed them.  Jonas Williams is a big DE but against Opeta, who was and OT in college and was already brutally strong before he joined the Lane Johnson lift team.  Opeta owned him with his punch.  

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I get they’re not gonna have a lot of targets, but you have to make the most of the targets you do get. To me since that commanders mnf game last year, Watkins has gotten some targets and done next to nothing with them. At least I can say with Oz he’s done some things with the targets he got. Honestly i really can’t remember the last time that Quez walkins had a target, caught the ball and had a play where people were like  that was a good play by Quez walkins. It’s been awhile 

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The Super Bowl was never in play for the Jets.  Even with Rodgers, BUF is still better and MIA might be as well.  Acquiring Rodgers was about becoming relevant.

That team healthy with Rodgers would have been a contender. Problem is there are a few contenders in the AFC

8 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Also sounds like people in Minnesota aren't happy with officiating vs Chiefs

Don't think it was catchable and didn't know taking a helmet off is a flag now. Last I remembered the rule was they are out in the next play unless there's a timeout

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

He definitely did show it at Georgia he was a freak. It's obviously more impressive doing it at the NFL level tossing grown men around like rag dolls. Youtube his Georgia highlight packages it's full of plays looking exactly like this.

I watched his film time and time again trying to talk myself in to wanting him and it was nothing like this. He didn't seem violent at all. I was 100% out on him going in to the draft. I  saw violence in Calijah Kancey's game and was sold on him. Can gladly say that I'm happy they went the direction they did. 

You see raw ability, but you don't see what he's doing now. It's night and day to me. One thing that might be helping him is that it looks like he used a 4-point stance at UGA which is more like a spring and the first move is almost up rather than in to the OL. He's using a heavy handed 3-point stance with the Eagles and that's helping him explode forward. 

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Quez playing 52 snaps compared to Zaccheaus playing 9 is head scratching. Yes, Hurts missed a wide open Quez in the end zone but there's no way you can tell me he should be getting 5x the snaps. 

Also, can we just cut Calcaterra and give his 6 snaps to Big O?

This coaching staff front office does a lot of head scratchers unfortunately. It's not surprising either 

12 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Wah.  Wah Wah.  Refs are literally in a time out here. 

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That team healthy with Rodgers would have been a contender. Problem is there are a few contenders in the AFC

Don't think it was catchable and didn't know taking a helmet off is a flag now. Last I remembered the rule was they are out in the next play unless there's a timeout

You're thinking if a helmet comes off during a play. A player is not allowed to take their helmet off after the play. It's been a flag for some time now. It's the Emmitt Smith rule.

17 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Clearly a penalty, Clearly biased.  Vikes got screwed by Mahomes boys the refs

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

You're thinking if a helmet comes off during a play. A player is not allowed to take their helmet off after the play. It's been a flag for some time now. It's the Emmitt Smith rule.

I listened to it on the Vikings broadcast and, of course, they thought there were going to be two penalties on the Chiefs.  Listening to how it played out, if the refs were going to pick up the flag for PI, they still should have called unsportsmanlike conduct on the Chiefs — even if they deemed it enforceable only after the turnover on downs 

24 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Would you trade Barnett for Hunter Renfrow?  Renfrow hasn't done much lately but neither has Barnett obviously

Yes, in a heart beat. Barnett is redundant and we could actually use some WR depth.

Archived