EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

I have heard of the 10,000 hour thing but did not know who Malcolm Gladwell was.. I need to read more books. I see how it all correlates now and thanks for the explanation! And for the daily lesson. I'll be back for more. 

Glad to share.  @BigEFly added some additional perspective that went beyond what I shared.

If you want to do something in return, consider making a score prediction this week.  The last three weeks we have had 77, 75 and 78 predictions.  It would be fun to get over 80.

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wussbasket said:

I think the intent for Quez playing so much is to help Goedert out underneath and get him more space for RAC. The idea may be the defense has to respect the speed of both Quez and DeVonta, but Quez hasn't really shown his speed this season and the rams did a good job of containing DeVonta. But AJ still went off and Goedert finally got involved.

It may be a week to week thing where defenses will just have to pick their poison. I like OZ as a receiver, but he doesn't have the speed that defenses have to account for like Quez does.

They can accomplish that with Devon Allen.  More than enough speed there.  Watkins should be a Howie trade chip leading up to the Deadline.

6 minutes ago, mattwill said:

If the NFL were really concerned about injuries they would set up the schedule so that the two Thursday Night teams have a Bye the week before their game.  But they really aren't seriously concerned about injuries.  I think their commitment to Parity across the league is the biggest reason the Brotherly Shove may get outlawed.  The ability of the Eagles to execute that play  successfully is the antithesis of parity.

The NFL plays on surfaces well known to cause injuries.  They aren't concerned about safety. We all know that's window dressing.  They want to avoid lawsuits and to keep their top paid QBs playing

32 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Joe Douglas and saleh might get fired if they don’t reach the playoffs. Don’t think draft picks at this point matters to them. Frankly the Vikings aren’t going to get Aaron Rodgers or Wilson like package for cousins. basically a half a season rental as he’s a FA at the end of the year. 

Oh I could understand the Vikings doing it! They should want to move on from him after this year. Take what you can for him.

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

Would you trade Barnett for Hunter Renfrow?  Renfrow hasn't done much lately but neither has Barnett obviously

Renfrow might be shot, hard to say. Haven't seen enough of him recently to judge.

2 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Still like to see more of Penny. Seems like we don't like him at all

The Penny situation is a murky mystery that more than likely will get clearer and less mysterious as the coming weeks unfold.  All we know is what we don't know at this stage.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

I mean , it weirdly kind of is. The two undefeated teams are winning by running. And the most explosive offense, Miami, is leading the league in rushing with an average of almost 7 yards per carry.

Your guy Achane is a massive part of that Miami running game.  He has some impressive long TD runs so far this season thanks to the speed he has pulling away from defenders once he gets past the Front Seven.

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Justin Evans seemed like a big upgrade over Edmunds to me but I don't re-watch like others for analysis

I agree wholeheartedly

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I re-watched the game last night.  I think the DB's did a much better job disrupting Kupp's and Nacua's routes in the 2nd half.  They were a lot more physical.  Some of that may have just been Roby coming in and playing well.  I thought much of the credit should go to the offense just after the game.  I still think Sirianni's emphasis on controlling the clock is a big reason.  I also think the defense did much better taking away what McVay wanted to do.  

Bradberry was a much different CB in the Second Half than he was in the First Half.  I suspect part of the Halftime was spent reviewing the film of the second Nacua TD where Bradberry reacted a step too slowly to Nacua's go route. That wasn't happening in the Second Half.

1 minute ago, mattwill said:

Your guy Achane is a massive part of that Miami running game.  He has some impressived long TD runs so far this season thanks to the speed he has pulling away from defenders once he gets past the Frint Seven.

Achane has that Cris Johnson type of ability to erase pursuit angles. You watch him and defenders constantly misjudge their angle of attack. And with all the speed at WR around him, he’s constantly able to work in space.

I think it would have been similar here, only the space would have been generated by the OL.

What’s surprised me is how effective he’s been in the red zone and how he’s been able to break tackles. He had some of that ability in college but I wasn’t sure if it would translate.

Oh well, can’t get every guy you want in a draft and Swift is doing just fine.

2 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Bradberry was a much different CB in the Second Half than he was in the First Half.  I suspect part of the Halftime was spent reviewing the film of the second Nacua TD where Bradberry reacted a step too slowly to Nacua's go route. That wasn't happening in the Second Half.

Bradberry was a half step too slow there on the TD but it was also a perfect pass and nice catch. To me that was a different issue than letting Kupp run free. That was just a nice play by the O

1 hour ago, wussbasket said:

This play at 9:06 was just beautiful.

That Swift run was indeed beautiful.  My wife was watching the game closely at that time and she (who loves ballet and was in New York when Baryshnikov was danceing there) commented on Swift's "beautiful balance" on that run.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

It was apparent from the broadcast that the Eagles fans outnumbered Rams fans.  Did you tell AJ to stop yelling at Hurts? 

I don't know if it falls apart but the limits of the rule are obvious.  Practice isn't a substitute for talent.  Practice can help someone with talent to improve in an area.  

I didn't read it as practice so much as live repetitions.  The example he provided of the early years of The Beatles wasn't in the practice room, it was playing before live audiences. 

After a few wins that we looked disjointed on yesterday I saw signs of the team I know we are. Not perfect but lots of good things to take away. 

9 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Which is good to see, as it shows an understanding of what was going wrong and correcting.

48 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Need Barnett against teams with a strong running game.  He isn’t redundant.  

Sweat and BG hold up just fine in the run game. 

By the way, the most infuriating moment of yesterday's game was the 3rd and 26 play. I'm literally saying out loud just before the ball is snapped to "just don't hold, or get an illegal contact penalty, or a facemask and we'll get the ball back with good field position." And yet I still wasn't confident that we'd be able to handle that simple task. And sure enough, facemask, first down.

1 hour ago, wussbasket said:

This play at 9:06 was just beautiful.

Followed by a bad QB run call. 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

I have to say, McVay was outcoached yesterday.  Eagles can’t defend the pass so go with intermediate and long passes with a banged up OL isn’t sound strategy.  He abandoned the run, so with Cox and Marlon T out, the Eagles played a lighter DL with Milton, Sweat, Reddick and Graham peeling back their ears and rushing Stafford.  On D, they focused on stopping Swift and didn’t spy Hurts who killed them.  Jonas Williams is a big DE but against Opeta, who was and OT in college and was already brutally strong before he joined the Lane Johnson lift team.  Opeta owned him with his punch.  

@HazletonEagle commented that all Opeta did was get in the way of the defender.  I think a large part of why it looked that way was because Opeta was as effective as he was with his punch.  It will be interesting to see what the All-22 shows.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

He didn't show this at UGA at all. He always looked lazy and raw to me. I'm just amazed at how he's started his career. Eating crow every week so far. He's just a treat to watch. 

He came to the absolute best situation for him to succeed. Having Graham and Cox chirping in his ear and the limited time he is getting on the field to start his career is really helping him.

15 minutes ago, TEW said:

Achane has that Cris Johnson type of ability to erase pursuit angles. You watch him and defenders constantly misjudge their angle of attack. And with all the speed at WR around him, he’s constantly able to work in space.

I think it would have been similar here, only the space would have been generated by the OL.

What’s surprised me is how effective he’s been in the red zone and how he’s been able to break tackles. He had some of that ability in college but I wasn’t sure if it would translate.

Oh well, can’t get every guy you want in a draft and Swift is doing just fine.

Unreal stats. 12 YPC and he has almost 40 carries.

Mentioned yesterday that if the Giants or Cowboys were amazing at the tush push, there would be no discourse on banning it because no one dare get in the way of the top market like NY and most marketable franchises like Dallas. You see this all the time in sports when the premiere franchises get away with stuff others don't.

Now today there is talk of changing the MLB playoff format. Noticing a pattern here?

When trends happen in sports that smaller market teams or non top overall market teams/franchises benefit from, national types are going to throw a tantrum.

If the Yankees and Dodgers were wildcard teams up 1-0 right now, there would be no "change MLB playoff format!" discourse today.

I'm getting tired of national people simping for top market teams and every time something happens in sports that knocks them down "It must be changed!" Absolutely Fing tired of it.

41 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Going back to the bubble screen with Quez in the 2nd, they actually ran a very similar play the first play of the game with Quez and it went for 5 yards. First play was in bunch formation, and Quez could have gotten more there too, but he takes forever to get up to speed and can't break an arm tackle.

The coaches should be mad at themselves for putting Quez in that position. He’s too contact shy to run plays like that. Use your players to their strengths, avoid their weaknesses. 

14 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

By the way, the most infuriating moment of yesterday's game was the 3rd and 26 play. I'm literally saying out loud just before the ball is snapped to "just don't hold, or get an illegal contact penalty, or a facemask and we'll get the ball back with good field position." And yet I still wasn't confident that we'd be able to handle that simple task. And sure enough, facemask, first down.

Wasn't even an actual facemask either, which was the biggest kick in the balls 

17 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

To be fair to Cunningham, he didn't do it.

The refs were looking to make calls all game and they did. We benefited from the Kendrick horsecollar against Brown at the end of the first half too.

Archived