EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mattwill said:

I didn't read it as practice so much as live repetitions.  The example he provided of the early years of The Beatles wasn't in the practice room, it was playing before live audiences. 

The observation on hockey players and their birthdays was the best example IMHO.

For those who haven’t read the book, he noticed NHL players were heavily weighted towards birthdates that would make them the "old” players in their class.

The thinking goes that having a 6 month or whatever age difference when you are in youth sports is a massive physical advantage, which means you tend to be better than your peers, and so you get more ice time, which snowballs into more all-star game type selections, which generates a positive feedback loop of more playing time against better competition compounding over 10+ years.

5 minutes ago, just relax said:

My sense of Desai's adjustment in the second half was to show six rushers and consistently drop out two. Occasionally he would send five or six. The Rams had trouble picking it up. Nice adjustment.

They still need another safety. Evans made me nervous. Stafford missed on a post that would have put the Rams in front. It looked like Evans was late closing. I'll look to the All-22 for confirmation.

Got to give credit where credit is due, Desai's adjustments in the 2nd half were impressive.

However Stafford had 2-3 passes that could have gone for significant gains in the 2nd half, pressure could have contributed though...

Robe was a nice add, but we definitely need more secondary help if Howie can get something done by the 31st since Slay is a shadow of his former self. 

1 minute ago, just relax said:

My sense of Desai's adjustment in the second half was to show six rushers and consistently drop out two. Occasionally he would send five or six. The Rams had trouble picking it up. Nice adjustment.

They still need another safety. Evans made me nervous. Stafford missed on a post that would have put the Rams in front. It looked like Evans was late closing. I'll look to the All-22 for confirmation.

I think Evans is fine as a backup. He’s better than edumunds. The eagles need a better safety starting opposite of Reed. Discussed on here before the season why i was concerned about the safety spot alongside Reed. It’s played out exactly to what my concerns were. Evans is a backup not a starter. Edmunds is a journeyman safety at this point and his draft spot isn’t indicative of what he actually is. I’d have said brown but we’ve played 5 games and he’s missed 2.5. He’s also a rookie 3rd round. Asking a lot of a third round rookie to a consistent starter on a Super Bowl team. For a rookie getting snaps every week and getting better is vital. We are about to embark on teams like Miami, Dallas, KC, Buffalo, SF and Seattle. I don’t think he’s going to be ready as he’s missing weeks nor consistent enough as a rookie to just assume he’s going to get there this year. I have high hopes next year and future years but right now i can’t count on him. 

13 minutes ago, just relax said:

I'm not so sure he was a lot better.. Reggie also had a couple of years in the AFL to hone his craft. Big as Reggie was, Carter is bigger.

Reggie was absolutely the most dominant DL in his time and Carter isn't there yet, if he ever gets there. I remember when Buddy put Reggie on the nose against Jeff Bostic and Reggie about killed him, and the QB behind him.

I would say Carter has a chance to be as good.

It's been a few decades, but I remember Reggie as being immensely overpowering, yet not as agile as Carter. 

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

They can accomplish that with Devon Allen.  More than enough speed there.  Watkins should be a Howie trade chip leading up to the Deadline.

They signed OZ who is more than capable. Watkins is so done in my eyes at this point. I'd see if the Colts, Steelers, Cards, Browns have some interest as their staff all had some roots here at some point. 

Also to be fair to history, Reggie only played in 13 games as a rookie, not sure why so few.  But, to put it in perspective, he averaged a sack per game, and still to this day remains the only Eagles player to average more than 1.0 sacks per game played.   121 games played, 124 sacks.   Unreal production, and that's in the midst of every OC in the league trying to find ways to neutralize him.  

Not sure we'll ever see the like of Reggie again.  But, Carter has been extremely impressive in his few times.

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think it’s a different league now.  Reggie didn’t play THAT long ago, but there’s still a little Wilt Chamberlain / Babe Ruth to his dominance.  I don’t know that a DL is going to stand out amongst their peers and above OL like that again…even a 25 year old Reggie in today’s nfl.  He might be the best defensive player in the nfl, but I bet his sacks per game takes a huge hit in comparison to the early 90s.

I totally disagree on this. The best comparison to Reggie in recent times is probably JJ Watt.

White was the same height, about 15 pounds heavier, stronger, just as athletic, and didn’t benefit from modern training techniques. So just a better player.

JJ Watt had two 20 sack seasons, a 17 sack season, and a 16 sack season. Injuries derailed his career, but at his peak he had Reggie like sack numbers.

And, again, Reggie was just better in every way.

27 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Dick Vermeil compared the two recently and said Carter: "To me, he reminds me of Reggie White. I don't wanna put pressure on him early, but I don't know if he has a limit. If you try to block him one-on-one, it's just a battle you're gonna lose. He is very impressive".

Coincidentally both Reggie and Carter had 3.5 sacks in their first 5 games.

I think Carter is more Jerome Brown than Reggie White.

Most consider White to be the best DL to ever play, where as Jerome was really good but he had a couple down years because he was out of shape. His motivation was up and down.

If Carter can keep his work ethic and motivation at a high level sky's the limit for him.

Hopefully he stays hungry and just gets better and better.

An under the radar type move should be at RB if they are not going to let Penny have a shot. Gainwell is a decent 3rd/4th back and Scott is basically the same.
If Swift goes down we are in a world of trouble there. You can't burn him up now or risk him being injured either. I don't get the Penny situation at all but if they have no confidence there then get a legit #2 please. 

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

It's been a few decades, but I remember Reggie as being immensely overpowering, yet not as agile as Carter. 

The interesting thing is that some of these moves that we see Carter doing were 'invented' by White.

10 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Got to give credit where credit is due, Desai's adjustments in the 2nd half were impressive.

This is the big question of yesterday.  Were those second half adjustments a sign of good things to come?   

And the flip side... will the red zone ineptitude be righted soon by the offense?  If we hope to be playing in February, and have a better ending, we need 7s not 3s when we get there.   Just getting there isn't good enough.  That said, the ball control piece of this offense, especially in the 2nd half, might have really benefitted the Eagles' D, because the opposition has a hard time finding any rhythm.

6 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I think Carter is more Jerome Brown than Reggie White.

Most consider White to be the best DL to ever play, where as Jerome was really good but he had a couple down years because he was out of shape. His motivation was up and down.

If Carter can keep his work ethic and motivation at a high level sky's the limit for him.

Hopefully he stays hungry and just gets better and better.

Yeah, I think of Brown.

Eagles up to 5th! in DVOA. We're a legit 5-0. No flukes.

The Lions are 3rd (4th in offense, 3rd on defense, 16th on ST). They're legit. Need them to start losing more games.

I took the first 5 games of 2023 and compared the production of the Big Three to their first 5 games of 2022.  It is a remarkably comparable composite stat line for them.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.40.09 PM.png

With respect to Jerome Brown, I don't see the comparison, at least not statistically.

Jerome had 4 sacks in his rookie year, Carter has 3.5 in his first 5 games.

Jerome's best year was 10.5 sacks, Carter will beat that as a rookie.

Jerome had Reggie White as the focal point of the D-Line, Carter is the focal point.

Jerome had Buddy Ryan, Carter has Desai.

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Lions are 3rd (4th in offense, 3rd on defense, 16th on ST). They're legit. Need them to start losing more games.

Where are you getting these numbers and what are the 9ers?

18 minutes ago, Birdman said:

However Stafford had 2-3 passes that could have gone for significant gains in the 2nd half, pressure could have contributed though...

Robe was a nice add, but we definitely need more secondary help if Howie can get something done by the 31st since Slay is a shadow of his former self. 

Agreed 100%

Welcome to the Blog.  Feel free to join in on the weekly Game Score Predictions

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

The lions schedule mite be the easiest in the NFL. Chance they only lose 3 games all year. 

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

3 players who make sense for the Eagles at the trade deadline, 1.0

It seems likely that the Eagles will do something at the NFL's trade deadline this month.

Kempski_Headshot_2016-Final.jpg
By Jimmy Kempski
Jabrill Peppers (28), S, Patriots (5'11, 217)
Jeremy Chinn (25), S/LB, Panthers (6'3, 220)
C.J. Henderson (25), CB, Panthers (6'1, 205)

If you're going after a Panthers CB, Jaycee Horn is the guy.

1 minute ago, Fhalbig22 said:

The lions schedule mite be the easiest in the NFL. Chance they only lose 3 games all year. 

The Niners are up there too...somehow.

Archived