EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think Evans is fine as a backup. He’s better than edumunds. The eagles need a better safety starting opposite of Reed. Discussed on here before the season why i was concerned about the safety spot alongside Reed. It’s played out exactly to what my concerns were. Evans is a backup not a starter. Edmunds is a journeyman safety at this point and his draft spot isn’t indicative of what he actually is. I’d have said brown but we’ve played 5 games and he’s missed 2.5. He’s also a rookie 3rd round. Asking a lot of a third round rookie to a consistent starter on a Super Bowl team. For a rookie getting snaps every week and getting better is vital. We are about to embark on teams like Miami, Dallas, KC, Buffalo, SF and Seattle. I don’t think he’s going to be ready as he’s missing weeks nor consistent enough as a rookie to just assume he’s going to get there this year. I have high hopes next year and future years but right now i can’t count on him. 

I don't think now is the time to be giving up on the plan in place for that that is already in place ... as you mentioned that plan is Sydney Brown.  Evans may not be perfect, but he can hold down the fort while Brown develops. 

20 minutes ago, Parrot Head said:

When should we hear if they open the window for Dean? Tomorrow?

Pre-season MVP Christian Ellis has to be the odd man out no? I don't see them carrying an extra LB. He played 15 ST snaps yesterday but one of the remaining LB can fill that easily.

12 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

With respect to Jerome Brown, I don't see the comparison, at least not statistically.

Jerome had 4 sacks in his rookie year, Carter has 3.5 in his first 5 games.

Jerome's best year was 10.5 sacks, Carter will beat that as a rookie.

Jerome had Reggie White as the focal point of the D-Line, Carter is the focal point.

Jerome had Buddy Ryan, Carter has Desai.

A better version

5 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I don't think now is the time to be giving up on the plan in place for that that is already in place ... as you mentioned that plan is Sydney Brown.  Evans may not be perfect, but he can hold down the fort while Brown develops. 

My fear with Brown coming into the season due to his style of play is injuries, and his start obviously isn’t quelling any of those concerns. I think more times than not you’re going to need a suitable backup for him if/when he takes over. 

15 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

One of the interesting changes we saw in the sneak this week was that as the opposing Defense worked trally hard to get just as low as the Eagles O-Line and neutralize the O-Line's forward movement with Hurts moving behind them low.  Instead Hurts went high over the top of the scrum ... and actually made 2-3 yards rather than just the one yard needed.

The other thing to note was that I don't think the Eagles were trying terribly hard to succeed in the final two Brotherly Shoves.  Those were good opportunities to "lose one or two" without any downside consequences.

5 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

My fear with Brown coming into the season due to his style of play is injuries, and his start obviously isn’t quelling any of those concerns. I think more times than not you’re going to need a suitable backup for him if/when he takes over. 

I'm comfortable with Evans as that backup.  I do think we could use a better backup to the backup than Edmunds though.

For those wondering how Jordan Davis is doing:

PFF has him rated as the 12th best DT in the NFL.

Not bad.

10 minutes ago, mattwill said:

One of the interesting changes we saw in the sneak this week was that as the opposing Defense worked trally hard to get just as low as the Eagles O-Line and neutralize the O-Line's forward movement with Hurts moving behind them low.  Instead Hurts went high over the top of the scrum ... and actually made 2-3 yards rather than just the one yard needed.

The other thing to note was that I don't think the Eagles were trying terribly hard to succeed in the final two Brotherly Shoves.  Those were good opportunities to "lose one or two" without any downside consequences.

It's pretty crazy how blatant the defenses are and how the refs are ignoring it too. Lots of flags that weren't called

De'Von Acahne injured during game.  Anyone know the severity yet and how much time he's supposed to miss?

8 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Neubeck's replacement at the Philly Voice didn't last a month lol:

w=492

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-rams-score-jalen-hurts-quarterback-sneak-20231008.html

Eagles lean further into ‘Brotherly Shove’ against Rams as dissenting opinions pile up

"They know it’s coming," guard Sua Opeta says of the Birds' controversial quarterback sneak. "I think it’s a really cool football play because it’s man-on-man, just who is tougher."

For about a year, Sua Opeta watched as the quarterback sneak steadily became a larger part of the Eagles’ identity.

The reserve offensive lineman had done it in spot duty, but starting in place of Cam Jurgens for the Eagles’ 23-14 win over the Los Angeles Rams gave Opeta a chance to truly see what all the fuss is about.

"Being out there, I feel how strong we are, like, pushing against the defense,” Opeta said. "It’s like, ‘Yeah, I get why we run it all the time now.’”

After the game, Rams defensive end Jonah Williams conceded to Opeta, his former college teammate, how demoralizing it can be when the Eagles line up the infamous formation with players behind Jalen Hurts, slung low and ready to move the pile.

"He was like, ‘Man, that QB sneak, I’ve never lined up against anything like that before where it’s like, I don’t know what to do,’” Opeta said. "... They know it’s coming. I think it’s a really cool football play because it’s man-on-man, just who is tougher. Who is going to stop us from moving them, that type of stuff.”

16 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Let's just say they did that on purpose to help the discussions in the competition committee in the offseason.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/live/eagles-news-injury-report-schedule-injuries-rumors-updates-next-game-20231009.html#card-1496470348

Peter King: It’s ‘hard to argue’ with Nick Sirianni’s defense of ‘Brotherly Shove’

Longtime NFL reporter Peter King has been among the most outspoken opponents of the Eagles’ nearly unstoppable quarterback sneak play, known as either the "Brotherly Shove” or the "Tush Push.”

Over the past year, King has called the play an "abomination” and an "idiotic rule,” and complained when the NFL declined to outlaw it during the offseason. But in his most recent "Monday Morning Quarterback” column, King admitted it was "hard to argue” with Nick Sirianni’s defense of the play, which the Birds ran six times during Sunday’s win, converting on four of them.

Here’s what Sirianni said about the "brotherly shove” after the game:

So we watched our evolution of the play and the growth of that play; it’s just a great example of what we want to be as a team. If we stayed the same in our quarterback sneaks from 2021 until now, defenses would have caught up to it. But we’ve grown in the areas, and we’ve grown in our fundamentals. Jalen, I don’t know if he squats any more than 600 now, but he’s grown in the weight room. Then we watch the rest of the league, and quite frankly, they can’t do it like we can. We’ll play by the rules of what they say to do. It’s a good play for us. The [NFL] Competition Committee can look at it, but until then, people have to stop it.

"I still don’t like it, but I love how the Eagles have perfected the play,” King wrote. "If it’s a rule, use it to your advantage.”

4 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

De'Von Acahne injured during game.  Anyone know the severity yet and how much time he's supposed to miss?

4 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Only info I saw was its a knee injury.  They are being quiet about it so far.

15 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Peppers and Chinn would basically play the same role Edmunds was meant to as a hybrid Safety LB.

Eagles really need a safety who can cover not a LB/SS  hybrid.

Neither of the two would be upgrades over Evans as they'd be upgrades over Edmunds but hey I might be an upgrade over Edmunds 

Henderson really doesn't have any more upside than the other young corners on the roster.

I wouldn't trade for any of those guys but we'll see.

Chinn has upside over either Evans or Edmonds. He's also an option over Cunningham.  

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I saw that and thought, that's an injury.

Will be interesting to see if he sneaks into the injury report after that flight home

27 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Neubeck's replacement at the Philly Voice didn't last a month lol:

Who are the Sixers? 

30 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

For those wondering how Jordan Davis is doing:

PFF has him rated as the 12th best DT in the NFL.

Not bad.

Thanks.  What is JC rated?

Archived