EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, shlo said:

The better Opeta looks, the great the chance somebody else signs him as a starter next year if Kelce doesn't retire. 

He's the classic candidate for a 3-year extension mid-season. He's 27. I think he's the kind of veteran that Howie would be smart to lock up on a backup discount with starter potential.

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Parrot Head said:

When should we hear if they open the window for Dean? Tomorrow?

Wednesday is the first practice so then 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Wednesday is the first practice so then 

What day is Wednesday this week? 

42 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Opeta did a nice job which was very nice to see as he might be playing for a few more weeks

Lucky for him he gets a break from Donald and only has to go against that scrub Quinnen Williams 

Quez Watkins sucks. He should get a seated throaty booing next time we’re at the Linc.

Thats all. 

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Quez Watkins sucks. He should get a seated throaty booing next time we’re at the Linc.

Thats all. 

What would Tre Turner think of this attitude! 

It's amusing that I keep seeing highlights of people saying how good Purdy is and the highlights are just showing him throwing passes to receivers that have 5+ yards of separation. Not saying he's not playing well but I don't think it could get any easier.

I think that dude who cut the screen pass back to Jordan Davis should be in counseling.

He's going to relive that in his nightmares.

A big thank you to all the simpletons running NFL teams who allowed the Eagles to get both of those freakbeasts at 13 and 9 overall.

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Thats all. 

I think the new Philly response is a standing ovation

1 minute ago, Freshmilk said:

It only works if you have talent.

3 hours ago, mattwill said:

@HazletonEagle commented that all Opeta did was get in the way of the defender.  I think a large part of why it looked that way was because Opeta was as effective as he was with his punch.  It will be interesting to see what the All-22 shows.

I believe that my respected colleague, @HazletonEagle is a bit off the mark with his assessment, although I would love @just relax’s perspective.  I believe I saw Opeta pull at least twice.  He was charged with the presnap notification to Kelce.  I actually was impressed with his grasp of that in that I thought Jurgen took a bit of time in the first two games to get comfortable with that task.  (My initial reaction to that task was negative outside of silent snap situations caused by crowd noise.  I was wrong.  The ability of Kelce to focus on the D and make adjustments makes the Eagles OL that much better.). Nick complimented Opeta in his press conference and based on what I saw, it was deserved.  That said, a 275 pound DE is a 300 lb DT.  He will likely see some of Williams and Jefferson this week.  

4 hours ago, mattwill said:

Your guy Achane is a massive part of that Miami running game.  He has some impressive long TD runs so far this season thanks to the speed he has pulling away from defenders once he gets past the Front Seven.

Got a bit banged up yesterday. 

3 hours ago, jamiller said:

But his speed, blah blah blah blah.

Cut his snaps by half.  How freaking hard is to run a go route and take the safety out?   

Saw an interesting reply to Nick’s comment on Quez.  His speed doesn’t factor in the red zone.  I agree with that plus he isn’t quick.  I would replace Quez in the red zone with OZ and I would like to see some Albert O in there too.

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

I don't think now is the time to be giving up on the plan in place for that that is already in place ... as you mentioned that plan is Sydney Brown.  Evans may not be perfect, but he can hold down the fort while Brown develops. 

You have a SB window of now. Who says brown develops this year? He’s missed 2.5 weeks of time which is half the season so far. That will hinder his development and puts him further back his development. you are hitting the toughest part of your schedule some of the best offenses in the league. He’s also hurt and hasn’t shown he can stay healthy either for a long stretch of time in the nfl. It would be different if he was a couple seasons into a career and this was a rarity. But we aren’t. So he might just have issues adjusting to the nfl as a rookie  and might struggle to hold up the next 12 games plus the playoffs.  Evans hasn’t exactly been stellar against inferior opponents. but we are just going to assume against the better offenses he stays healthy (history hasn’t shown that he has in his career) and plays better against them? Sounds like a risk  

You only get so many chances with your Super Bowl window. If there’s a move at safety that makes us a better defense, affordable and a more formidable team I’m making it. Just hoping an injured inexperienced player develops fast after missing time and a proven injury prone player in Evans holds the fort isn’t a very good plan of attack when the position has been an issue already 

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

austin-powers-who-throws-a-shoe.gif

Ask George W. Bush.  His dodge of the shoe, that little grin and dodge of the second shoe were epic.  

2 hours ago, just relax said:

I'm not so sure he was a lot better.. Reggie also had a couple of years in the AFL to hone his craft. Big as Reggie was, Carter is bigger.

Reggie was absolutely the most dominant DL in his time and Carter isn't there yet, if he ever gets there. I remember when Buddy put Reggie on the nose against Jeff Bostic and Reggie about killed him, and the QB behind him.

I would say Carter has a chance to be as good.

Yeah, after I hit "send" I thought that saying "a lot" was perhaps a bad choice of words. But Reggie White was definitely better and I think the odds that Jalen Carter ever becomes "as good" as Reggie are quite remote. Still I'd be delighted if he comes even remotely close.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

The observation on hockey players and their birthdays was the best example IMHO.

For those who haven’t read the book, he noticed NHL players were heavily weighted towards birthdates that would make them the "old” players in their class.

The thinking goes that having a 6 month or whatever age difference when you are in youth sports is a massive physical advantage, which means you tend to be better than your peers, and so you get more ice time, which snowballs into more all-star game type selections, which generates a positive feedback loop of more playing time against better competition compounding over 10+ years.

Isn't it also true that this doesn't necessarily hold up at the top end of the spectrum of great players? The idea being that, if you're really, REALLY good as a kid, it doesn't matter if you're six months younger than your teammates. Great is great, birthdays be damned.

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Isn't it also true that this doesn't necessarily hold up at the top end of the spectrum of great players? The idea being that, if you're really, REALLY good as a kid, it doesn't matter if you're six months younger than your teammates. Great is great, birthdays be damned.

Think of it this way. When you're 8, being 6-10 months older can be a HUGE advantage. And those are the kids who get on the elite travel teams and wind up playing A LOT more hockey against better competition starting at a young age and that advantage carries on for years. 

Imagine two players who could potentially be about equal in talent and skill eventually, but one gets 10x more playing time than the other. That player has a greater chance of reaching their potential.

28 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

What would Tre Turner think of this attitude! 

"F that guy”

22 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

No

Archived