EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season thru Week 9 - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Let’s truthfully dissect that picture.   Quez is seven yards from the first down.  There are two defenders to AJ’s right about five yards away.  By the time  Quez gets to Devonta, he is losing control on his block.  Quez should have still gone inside Smith but it isn’t a sure thing. 

9 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

That's insane.  There aren't 2-3 guys that can lay down a bunt on this roster?

Nope.

7 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Rudy Ford sighting

Rudy Ford is a good player. Rasul Douglas is a good player. Not sure why the Eagles let their good DB go but kept guys like Josiah Scott around.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Rudy Ford is a good player. Rasul Douglas is a good player. Not sure why the Eagles let their good DB go but kept guys like Josiah Scott around.

They were all bad here. 

Rasul would be solid in this scheme, but was just too slow to play for Schwartz. 

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Let’s truthfully dissect that picture.   Quez is seven yards from the first down.  There are two defenders to AJ’s right about five yards away.  By the time  Quez gets to Devonta, he is losing control on his block.  Quez should have still gone inside Smith but it isn’t a sure thing. 

Except that Smith turned his defender to the sideline and the hole was still there. 

4 hours ago, BigEFly said:

I believe that my respected colleague, @HazletonEagle is a bit off the mark with his assessment, although I would love @just relax’s perspective.  I believe I saw Opeta pull at least twice.  He was charged with the presnap notification to Kelce.  I actually was impressed with his grasp of that in that I thought Jurgen took a bit of time in the first two games to get comfortable with that task.  (My initial reaction to that task was negative outside of silent snap situations caused by crowd noise.  I was wrong.  The ability of Kelce to focus on the D and make adjustments makes the Eagles OL that much better.). Nick complimented Opeta in his press conference and based on what I saw, it was deserved.  That said, a 275 pound DE is a 300 lb DT.  He will likely see some of Williams and Jefferson this week.  

My assessment came from his fill in game last week. It wasnt good, but he didnt let Hurts get killed. He was juuuust good enough. 

I didnt really focus on him much this week. I just knew our run game wasnt as consistently effective and him starting was the key difference. While Donald was quiet, weve always been able to scheme him out of the game anyway.

I wont argue if people focused on him and say he did a better job than I thought. 

20 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Not that I've seen all year @e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! can clarify, I could be wrong

Yeah, they only have Garrett Stubbs, who is a good bunter. I’m guessing Trea Turner knows because with his speed it makes sense for him to try to beat out some. But you really never seen him bunt. But part of the issue and some of the games they  lost this year Thomson saying he didn’t think some  of the guys knew how to bunt to ask him them to do it 

19 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I've been a bit of a Quez apologist, so I may not have much credibility with this, but I think you are right.  

Quez still screwed up...the right thing to do was to instantly and physically cut upfield.  But that's a misleading picture.  That hole was slamming shut pretty quickly.  

Did Quez handle that wrong?  Absolutely.  Is anyone talking about it if Devonta Smith does the same thing?  Nope, not at all.  Granted, Devonta has earned the benefit of the double while Quez has been a negative play magnet...but still...people are blaming him for the overthrow on the other play, saying he undercut his route and making it sound like failing to follow Devonta's block would have otherwise been an easy 6.  I think people are piling on.

Just want to see Quez make a play that positively impacts the game.

Feel like he is consistently a net negative.

24 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I've been a bit of a Quez apologist, so I may not have much credibility with this, but I think you are right.  

Quez still screwed up...the right thing to do was to instantly and physically cut upfield.  But that's a misleading picture.  That hole was slamming shut pretty quickly.  

Did Quez handle that wrong?  Absolutely.  Is anyone talking about it if Devonta Smith does the same thing?  Nope, not at all.  Granted, Devonta has earned the benefit of the double while Quez has been a negative play magnet...but still...people are blaming him for the overthrow on the other play, saying he undercut his route and making it sound like failing to follow Devonta's block would have otherwise been an easy 6.  I think people are piling on.

He should have JUMPED inside.  We know he knows how to do that at least.  

26 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

They haven't exactly put him in the best position to make plays.  Hated the play call in the first place.  Quez isn't Deebo Samuel on those bubble screens. 

Quez is a take the top off, create space underneath player.  Goes, posts etc.  

5 hours ago, bpac55 said:

He's the classic candidate for a 3-year extension mid-season. He's 27. I think he's the kind of veteran that Howie would be smart to lock up on a backup discount with starter potential.

I agree 100%. I also believe Opeta is probably realistic about his ceiling.  I couldn’t help thinking about Todd Herremans toward the end of yesterday’s game.

47 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Oz has looked much, much better in his limited opportunities.  John Hightower was actually quite a bit better at getting behind the defense — he just couldn’t track or catch a ball.

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Can anyone guess without looking which team that was? (Yes I checked, lol)

Another fun fact, he has only allowed 20 in his whole career (since 2013)

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

LOL

Think teams try to triple team Carter soon?

Man that move was absolutely a masterpiece. 

1 minute ago, Portyansky said:

#65 looked like he took money to take a dive in a boxing fight.🤣

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

#65 looked like he took money to take a dive in a boxing fight.🤣

65 looked like he just started to play football that week. He had no idea what to do. JC has been an absolute steal! 

23 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Oz has looked much, much better in his limited opportunities.  John Hightower was actually quite a bit better at getting behind the defense — he just couldn’t track or catch a ball.

OZ certainly deserves the snaps.

Time to admit failure on Quez.

He was a late round pick.

Not the WR3 for a Super Bowl caliber team.

18 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

How did 9 teams pass on this guy?

40 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Was it the game at cleveland 

I swear before I said cleveland, I didn’t look it up. I looked it up after. The only reason why I remember it was that game because one of my good friends is a Browns fan. And we got into this whole conversation about Baker, Mayfield and Carson Wentz and which one would you rather have going forward. And I just remembered the weather was absolutely miserable and the oline struggled that day with Carson Wentz just not being very good.

Also Remembered they played the nfc west and rams, niners were early in the season games. Rams killed us, beat the niners with their backup and Az was one of games hurt started late in the year. So seattle was the only other team i had it down to in nfc west. And they played the afc north and the claypool game was early, the tie with the bengals was early. I believe the ravens they had a comeback that fell short in the first half of the year. I knew it wasn’t a nfc east team especially Washington as the tank week 17 and week 1 blowing 17 point lead. If my memory serves me right, I believe it was Olivier Vernon because he had like a two sack game. It might’ve been even three just Fing feasted 

20 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

On the honor system.

Guess would be Dallas.

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Yup I've watched this play a bunch of times to see what the big deal was and Smith was losing his block and yes Quez should have gone Inside but that no guarantee he gets the 1st if he does.

Siri loves these bubble screens but a 170 lb receiver blocking for a 180 pound WR isn't a recipe for success.

I guess it's better than the week before where all 165 pounds of covey was blocking for 170 pound Smitty which was also short of the first...☹️

Archived